• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Simple questions from a simple mind on XP

mr.bloomenrader 2 u

Premium Member
Mar 4, 2008
highmore sd
I took the cover off last night and noticed I have the 21T gear instead of the 19T. How important is that and should I change it? Also there is a form of 80-90w grease in the chaincase, should I use something else. I ordered a timbersled intake system because i wanted to eliminate all that plastic crap under the hood, please tell me that was a good idea? And lastly would a set of reeds be money well spent on the xp, or not really, and yes I am this ignorant when it comes to sleds but i'm learning. Please help.

Sheriff

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Olds, Alberta
I took the cover off last night and noticed I have the 21T gear instead of the 19T. How important is that and should I change it? Also there is a form of 80-90w grease in the chaincase, should I use something else. I ordered a timbersled intake system because i wanted to eliminate all that plastic crap under the hood, please tell me that was a good idea? And lastly would a set of reeds be money well spent on the xp, or not really, and yes I am this ignorant when it comes to sleds but i'm learning. Please help.

What length of track do you have? gearing is different in the 163 vs. the 154. Lots of dealers ar gearing them down, depends on your riding.
Use a synthetic 75-90 or 80-90 in the chaincase & no it is not grease.
Be careful on the reeds, I put a set in mine & leaned it out considerably. I have an exhaust probe & had to jet up 20+. Not sure on the TS intake.

Ace Freely

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2002
Wenatchee, WA
Sorry forgot to list it as 154". But i really appreciate the information. what pipe are you running in these sleds, have a cpi can. thanks

...I would gear down to 19-45. If you ask your dealer, chances are that he will do it under warranty. If you do it yourself, tip the sled on it side, abd you won't lose any oil.

...A search on the Timbersled intake will give you many opinons. The verdict is still out...

....Stock reeds are as good as aftermarket, IMHO don't spend the money on them.

.....Stock pipe seems to be a real winner. Some guys like the dynoport pipe.

...Hope this helps

Ace

mr.bloomenrader 2 u

Premium Member
Mar 4, 2008
highmore sd
I certainly does Ace and I appreciate it. Opionions are like a@#holes everybodies got one. Thats all i'm after, (the opinions that is) so thanks. Would a CPI pipe benefit me or is stock really that good. Also my bottom gear is a 47T so should I change that too?

S

SilverGriz

Oct 22, 2004
Hayden, ID
Your dealer should change the gearing for you under warranty if you have one close by. BRP authorized this a few months ago.

I
Dec 14, 2001
Archer, Idaho
OK,something doesn't Jive.

The gearing you described is for a 163, Not the 154 you stated, are you sure on the track??

* The gearing you want for a 154 is 20/45. Stock is 21/45 for a 154, 21/47 for a 163.

* Stay with the stock pipe and ceramic coat it like cookie sez ;)

* Vents are MANDATORY!

* Do a search on my name in the DOO section and follow all the set up tips in the "XP owners Have fatih" thread.

mr.bloomenrader 2 u

Premium Member
Mar 4, 2008
highmore sd
Why are vents so important? I'll definately look you up and thanks for taking the time, really need the advice. Thinking about a Team secondary, but which one. I ride 6000 to 10000 feet and love climbing.

Last edited:
C
Nov 26, 2007
Eastern Idaho
If theres anyone you should be listnin to its Slim, its gotten me a little ways this winter ;) ..my rev rocks! :D

..as for venting, you gotta keep your clutches as cool as they can be. more air flow = more performance

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
If theres anyone you should be listnin to its Slim, its gotten me a little ways this winter ;) ..my rev rocks! :D

..as for venting, you gotta keep your clutches as cool as they can be. more air flow = more performance

HMMM listening to Slim is like....:eek:...LOL

Mr B...give me a ring...I can help...BJ

S
Nov 26, 2007
utah
i used the cpi single and can this year....main jets, 500; and i shimmed the needle in the mid-range by .030, (one of the shim kits will fix you up), the cpi pipe consistently would out accelerate and out climb the stock pipe with the rest of the sleds being in the same state of preparation....you need a little more air, i used two flo-rites in the back of the air box, but others have added air in other ways....on the dyno the power went from 149 stock to 151 with the airbox opened up and to 163 with the pipe and can.....venting the engine bay is a definite asset.....clutching and gearing changes also helped immensely.....most people that don't advocate after market pipes don't have the dynos to check what really works, and don't want to gamble 500 bucks on it, and i don't blame them....if you ride in noise sensitive areas, the can thing is something to consider.....it's not a problem where i ride and the weight loss of pipe and can was 15.5 lbs, the noise level is only slightly higher that stock, and mine is different from almost anyone elses', not to mention faster

mr.bloomenrader 2 u

Premium Member
Mar 4, 2008
highmore sd
The biggest thing i've learned from starting this post is the importance of venting, something i gave no thought to before. Who makes a good venting kit for the XP?

Premium Features