• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Wakeboard/surf boat

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
Wife and I just started shopping.

Looked at a few. I think our budget it going to have to grow. Question is, if the budget grows does a person buy a brand new more budget friendly boat, Moomba, Axis, Tige R series or do you purchase a nice used Wakesetter, SAN, or Tige Rz or MC.

New basic or used bells and whistles?

Thanks!!!!

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
Used bells and whistles! If you can find what you want, perfect, and if you need to add a few things, you have the budget to do so.

As a big boat person myself, I'm all about buying a used boat and doing what I want to her. I can't justify buying new and having to do the mods and customization I want to do anyways. Now I do things a little differently cuz I'll actually go out and look for a boat that's been sunk or with a blown motor. Those are the sweethearts that will make you money after you've had a ton of fun with them.

But I digress, if colors and stereos are a big selling feature for you and you want out on the lake this weekend, then go buy new. Keeping up with the Joneses is something I totally get.

If motor and hull design, longevity and resale value matter, then look for a quality used boat that is selling for a third off of new retail. There's a plethora of great boats in most areas with 40-60hrs on them that are priced great. Especially since it's officially(past selling season) being the Civic Holidays(USA and Canada) are over. With that being said, there's some great rebates coming to new units in the coming weeks.

Basically you have to ask yourself a few questions. How long do you plan on keeping it? What features matter the most? What can we live without and not regret our decision?

Last edited:
S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
Not sure I can cover all that. Your a typing machine.

I don't care about the Jones's. I am picky and want what I want.

I want a wake/surf boat because I grew up on the water. My body can't take slalom skiing anymore. My kids want to learn how to do all the activities too.

Color... Be nice to match my sled. Not necessary. Ballast, tower, above average stereo. I don't need all the fancy computerized fill systems. Deeper boat preferably in the 22-24' range. Tandem ax. Perfect pass is a must.

Don't know if that helps.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
If motor and hull design, longevity and resale value matter, then look for a quality used boat that is selling for a third off of new retail. There's a plethora of great boats in most areas with 40-60hrs on them that are priced great.

I totally disagree with this portion of your post.
Surfing is all the rage, and the new boats provide a much better wake than previous generation tow boats.
And nice clean used V-drives are bringing far, far more than 1/3 of new, and there is a shortage of them, not a plethora.

We actually had to buy one from a private owner in Nebraska for one of our local customers.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Keep looking at late model boats with the options you seek.

It will happen. That boat is out there.
Don't compromise too much.
You'll find the right boat.

I've looked at the 23' Nautiques. STUNNING!!

T
Nov 26, 2007
I've been around a lot of wake boarding / surf boats. Go to a dealer and demo them. Each boat is different and you will like a boat for different reasons them the next person. I personally like mastercraft the best. I have a centurion and it's ok but hasn't been my favorite. I got a good deal on it. I personally only buy used boats. Save the money and buy a low houred used boat. Oh and have a lot of fun.

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
I mostly agree with Mafesto. The new wake boats are changing faster than electronics. The top 5 or so boats are incredible. Sure beats the runabout with cement blocks we used as kids. Used boats in this category are far and few between in the Midwest. Especially nice, well taken care of boats.

I am on the fence, that's why I asked, for multiple opinions.

Scott, why stop at 23, when you can have a G25... :face-icon-small-ton Stunning doesn't even cover it.

We will have tons of fun!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
Let me add that when we get that low hour extra clean V-drive, we will ask a premium for it, and we will get it.
As addict indicated, maybe our Midwest market is way stronger than others?

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I mostly agree with Mafesto. The new wake boats are changing faster than electronics. The top 5 or so boats are incredible. Sure beats the runabout with cement blocks we used as kids. Used boats in this category are far and few between in the Midwest. Especially nice, well taken care of boats.

I am on the fence, that's why I asked, for multiple opinions.

Scott, why stop at 23, when you can have a G25... :face-icon-small-ton Stunning doesn't even cover it.

We will have tons of fun!!!!!!!!!!!!

Didn't get a chance to see the G25.
The 23 was enough to drag my jaw across the showroom floor.
I can image the 25 is two more feet of awesome.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
We don't do very many larger than 22'
I,m sure price has a lot to do with it, but a question to those who have surfed behind the 24's & 25's...
Let's say we're comparing the wake of two boats, a 20 & a 25.
These will be equipped with all of the factory ballasts in addition to optional phat sacks and 2 passengers in each boat.
My concern is the additional buoyancy of the larger boat has to affect wake quality without additional load.
Is there any validity to my theory? or am I full of crap?
If I'm correct, and you have to increase ballasts as boat size increases, it is obvious that fuel consumption will also follow that curve. Correct?

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
I think the 23 range is about perfect for us. The 21 seems small, but my buddies Wakesetter seems roomy compared to most other 21's. The other reason is we like to spend some time on the reservoirs, it can get to be some big water at times.

The other thing is another v drive I was in all loaded with ballast, when you let off the gas the front dives really bad. I am hoping to avoid that some. If my wife is driving it will freak her out.

The A24, T23,and Moomba Mojo have caught my eye if buying new. Not sure momma will let me.

Also in these theories. Difference between pickle fork boat and v type? Wake ect.

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
Different markets I guess....Around BC/AB I see a ton of 30-50hr boats that are 2-4 years old that used to retail for 90k-100k and are on sale for 50-60k now. I saw some wicked deals on either side of the Great Lakes as well. Sask/Minn Border. Ont/Mi Border too. I do have a lot of friends that run Marina's and such in those areas tho so maybe my facebook feed is biased a little bit. Seems like there's more than there really is kinda thing.

As far as saying "used" I'm taking about a 'old' 30-50hr boat. Not 5-10 years old.

Personally I'd go with a 23ft. Sure it does take a big more ballast but also very nice in big chop and much more predictable than the 21fters I've driven. Most tournaments are run with 21fters tho, so there's that.

With that being said I'm out of the wake game for now. I have a old Mastercraft V-Drive since my family is growing by one more yet again. Rebuilt floor and LS will have to do until the kids are a few years older and want to have more fun.

And then the boat for when the kids only want to beach it for the day and Dad can go have some fun.

263100_10150241675527389_5328005_n.jpg 29525_403113047388_1825880_n.jpg

Last edited:

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
Let me add that when we get that low hour extra clean V-drive, we will ask a premium for it, and we will get it.
As addict indicated, maybe our Midwest market is way stronger than others?

It has to be, look down to CA and I've noticed quite a few "nice" wakes going for average or below average prices sometimes.

Just the area you are in I guess. And since you're both in the same area, chances are your experiences are pretty close to the same.

My last brand new Wake was in 2011. Nice boat, used it for a local tournament even. Moving to Chile didn't really warrant keeping it around sadly.

Edit: I can't believe the only pictures I have on this computer of my Campion are from the company I used to work for. Both watermarked, I'll have to find the originals somewhere.

406370_412879835414363_889507315_n.jpg 600111_412883558747324_83598162_n.jpg

Last edited:

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
I think the 23 range is about perfect for us. The 21 seems small, but my buddies Wakesetter seems roomy compared to most other 21's. The other reason is we like to spend some time on the reservoirs, it can get to be some big water at times.

Also in these theories. Difference between pickle fork boat and v type? Wake ect.

Good point on the big water.
Most of our customers are on relatively smaller lakes.

As far as difference between pickle fork boat and v type...
both surf well, more of a preference.
I have seen that people either love or hate the "picklefork".

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
Different markets I guess....Around BC/AB I see a ton of 30-50hr boats that are 2-4 years old that used to retail for 90k-100k and are on sale for 50-60k now.

Yeah, that's not that far off what we are seeing (depending on how you are using the term "retailing").

We obviously do not ask MSRP, I can't imagine anyone does.
But a 3 year old boat that we actually received 90K for would be in the 70K range if low hrs & clean.
Here is how I look at it...The customer that can afford that $70K is likely to bite the bullet & buy new.

There are simply no $30-$50K boats to be had in the higher end brands.
Sure you can find the discount brands, but what a lousy investment!

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
Good point on the big water.
Most of our customers are on relatively smaller lakes.

As far as difference between pickle fork boat and v type...
both surf well, more of a preference.
I have seen that people either love or hate the "picklefork".

Why the love hate? Looks or wake/ride?

I like the flat front bow, nice and roomy.

The Axis book showed up this weekend. All I got was "we are not getting a new boat".

We will see.:face-icon-small-ton

Last edited:

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
Why the love hate? Looks or wake/ride?
That response is solely on appearance.
I like the flat front bow, nice and roomy.

The Axis book showed up this weekend. All I got was "we are not getting a new boat".
Just surprise her.
We will see.:face-icon-small-ton

Women LOVE surprises!

S

slednutz

Nov 28, 2007
Pipestone, MN
www.theslednutz.com
We bought a 2016 axis t-23 this year after shopping around for quite awhile. The first choice in our decision was the dealership, we have had great support from the malibu/axis dealer nearest to us which has worked out well. The next decision was whether to spend up for a Malibu or save some money for the axis. It is very obvious that the fit/finish and quality of everything on the malibu was far superior to the axis, much like a supra/moomba comparison, but I can accomplish everything that I want with my t-23 that I could with the malibu 23 lsv from an actual Surf/Wave standpoint. In a few years I hope to move up to a new Malibu but for now the 2016 T-23 that we have has been awesome, we have about 60 hours on it and with the added ballast bags has an awesome wave. All of the digital gauges and nicer tower on the Malibu sure would be nice but for dollar savings of the Axis we are having just as much fun.

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
Assuming you went up to Minnesota Inboard? Only other Buu dealer close to us is Daves in Webster. Which I hear good things about too.

Why a 23 over a 22 or 24?

J

jerrydecoy

May 12, 2011
coeurd'Alene, id
Wake/ surf boat prices are weird at times! We just upgraded and sold our 08 wakesetter for 3k less then what we paid for it brand new! Talk about a boat holding its value!!! I think it helps the used market when new surf boats are north of a 100k

Premium Features