• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Axys vs new ski doo 800

M
Nov 27, 2007
Arvada,CO
I have been on a 12 pro rmk since new and now it's time for a new sled. Can't decide between the Axys or the new 2017 ski doo. Anyone have some pros and cons that has ridden both sleds?

R
Feb 29, 2016
I do not even see a comparison between the two. The Axys is lighter, faster, better handling, more comfortable and a lot easier to maintenance. The Doo has junk in the foot wells, chain case on one side and brake rotor on the other. It has that horrible flat steering post angle, ridiculous t-motion skid that still uses torsion springs like they all had a decade ago. In my riding group, comprised of a lot of new Doo's, they are always playing catch up with the Axys. Personally I don't see how they sell any of those to mountain riders.

BILTIT

Premium Member
Apr 9, 2011
Lloydminster, SK
Only reason they sold so well is because of decent trail manners (stability) and the engine. I haven't ridden a new axys engine so I cannot compare them but the etec is a good mill.

I personally cannot stand the chassis and steering.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
Having ridden them both I can say they are quite similar in a few ways and different in others. They are similar in the energy it takes to ride them with the Doo being slightly easier. They can both cut some steep sidehills. The axys has just a slight advantage over the Doo when it gets to super steep sidehills but this new Doo is better in every other situation. The Doo has more power hands down. It's not even a discussion. The power is also smoother. Ergonomics are different obviously. The Doo has the more laid back steering (which I prefer) and a more rider forward stance where the axys is more vertical steering and you stand a bit further back on the chassis. The new tunnel and gas tank on the Doo make it feel vey narrow. The new engine and clutch are quite impressive. It looks like Doo built this sled to last a long time. You can't tell the Doo weighs 15lbs more than the axys. In fact it feels lighter. (165x3 vs 163x3) As far as people saying it's not a mountain sled, don't listen to them. This new chassis is every bit as much a mountain specific chassis as the axys. Doo has done it one way and Polaris has gone another route. They both work very well.

There are a few downsides to the new Doo. The chaincase and brake in the footwells can bother you if you let it. They don't look as good as the axys but they look better in person than they do in pictures. The rear skid is still a torsion spring setup but that's not necessarily a negative. It's just different and you have to get heavier springs to make it handle any jumps. Obviously we don't know about the durability yet but I'd bet it's good.

Axys downsides. From my experience they generally don't have any cons except in the durability department. We had an axys blow an engine in our group this last weekend. And the electrical issues keep coming up. But they are a solid sled as far as handling and fun factor goes. In the hard spring snow they are more effort to ride than the Doo.

Last edited:

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
I do not even see a comparison between the two. The Axys is lighter, faster, better handling, more comfortable and a lot easier to maintenance. The Doo has junk in the foot wells, chain case on one side and brake rotor on the other. It has that horrible flat steering post angle, ridiculous t-motion skid that still uses torsion springs like they all had a decade ago. In my riding group, comprised of a lot of new Doo's, they are always playing catch up with the Axys. Personally I don't see how they sell any of those to mountain riders.

He's asking about the axys vs new Doo. Have you ridden one?

Last edited:
J

jonasumb

Nov 27, 2012
Boise/McCall Idaho
I am with Biltit, ever XM rider I know which is only a hand full. They love the power plant. All of them did the mods to make the chassis a better Mountain sled. Raised boards steering post forward, D-motion(to get rid of the T-motion) got rid of the stock suspension and the flex track all so they could have the etec. I just don't understand why but whatever each his own. So what does DOO do they keep the chassis and drop a BB in her, SMH. And everyone is acting like they reinvented the sled.
I for one am glad to see more CC's from the factory.
Can't wait to see what POO does next year to counter the 850.
And back to the subject (sorry) If you are coming off a pro I think you would like the axis more than the 850. But like I said earlier. Each his own, Let's ride. Be safe out there

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

AKFULLTHROTTLE

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2009
Alaska
Every actual ridden report I get is yes it has more power, No it still does not handle as good as the Axys.

For me it still depends on which sled feels good to you? For me I like the stance and steering of a Poo.

Mine is boosted and always will be so HP is not a concern of mine. I will be getting on a 850 in a couple of weeks and will compared to my boosted Axys. The suspension and track are stock so I hope to get a good comparison on the side hill and handling aspect.

This just in this morning...

2017 SkiDoo Etec 850

Tom Ferry of Arctic Adventures SkiDoo in
Rosendale, NY brought a preproduction 2017 Etec 850 (longer stroke, not bigger bore) to DTR on 3/15/16 for independent dyno numbers for SkiDoo to [hopefully] brag about! Jim Cooper of Coopers Sales and Service SkiDoo brought his BUDS2 to try to monitor engine data. It took some doing, but 170+ HP with zero added timing was the final number.

R
Feb 29, 2016
He's asking about the axys vs new Doo. Have you ridden one?

Not the '17 but plenty of time on the '14 '15 and '16 models. He was asking about 800s not the 850 so the power advantage is gone. My Axys smokes the Doo hard off the line everytime. It was himarking my buddys '15 163 XM last weekend and my sled is only a 155.

We will just have to agree to disagree. I can't stand how those sleds ride. You like the flat steering, most people hate it. Even my Doo buddys set their risers so the post is more vertical. That makes for some weird steering behavior in my experience.

I like not having to worry about my boot hitting something in the footwell, it does bother me. My dang toes were sore after a day of riding the '16 Cat with the same problem.

T-motion is a bad joke, precisely why the sled wont sidehill with the Polaris. Torsion springs? Heavier and less adjustability, yes different but worse too.

There are lots of valid reasons why I do not like them. They didn't fix a single issue I had with the new version. Still has all of the above listed defects with 50 more cc in the 850 model. Big deal. Looks like a minor evolution and not a true revolution like the Axys.

cascadesnowjunky

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2007
Kennewick WA
I personally would try and ride one before you spend all the money to buy one. If you choose the doo you better like the laid down steering, it is truly a love hate thing. I myself cannot stand the laid back steering. The doo is also decades behind the other manufacturers in the rear suspension department, they have tried every bandaid know to man tho fix a POS 20 year old design. The rails are also week, there is no webbing in them. I have not had a chance to ride the axys to compare power between the two but the doo does make more power than my 14 pro I won't deny it. I think polaris is still the most efficient at getting the power to the ground, and they have the best low end torque. The low end grunt is what I would rather have for my style of riding, but that is strictly my opinion. Like I said I would try and ride the two first, that is alot of money to spend basing your purchase on other people's opinions.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
My local crew of buddies rode the 850 in McCall.
2 ride Doo, 2 ride Polaris, 1 rides a cat.
Except the Doo riders, the other 3 are not brand loyal and have owned everything over the years.

ALL of them said the power of the 850 was noticeably stronger.
They said the chassis handles much more similar to the Polaris chassis, but it's not the SAME yet, of course.
They all agreed that it's the best handling Doo they've ever been on.

ALL of them, even the two Doo-dicated riders feel the Axys tips and carves easier than the Doo. It takes less effort to carve the Polaris over the Doo.
They all state that the Doo wants to upright itself and plant the skis too easily and they always have to counteract and fight against that with the XP/XM chassis.

Last edited:

sledheader

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2013
Between a Rock and a Hard Place
I like what Doo has done with the new 850. IMO it's much more than just a new power plant. They basically tried to do what polaris did last year, raised chassis, narrow the panels. I think (this is being said without riding the doo) that they probably both do things well. The axys is gonna be a better steep and technical sled where the doo is gonna be better at point and shoot. That's not saying an axys can't point and shoot and a doo can't be ridden technically. That's just where each is going to shine. Pick whatever fits your riding best. I doubt you'll be disappointed in either one.

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
I rode both of them side by side for a day. The Doo is for sure stronger running, the Polaris is quicker out of the whole, better off idle throttle. My ONLY doubt about the Doo is the new 3.5" pitch track. We were NOT in fresh powder, we had some fresh on top of a very firm base and the Doo track would not hook up for anything. Now Doo says it is great in bottomless fluff, I can't dispute that, no experience, but in snow with a base to it the Polaris track was way better.

Oh and also, the Doo is WAY smoother running than the Polaris. No vibration at all.

sled_guy

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
850 is a smooth runner, no vibration.
Their new clutch and clutching was spot on. Power delivery was instant. No lag in the one I had the opportunity to straddle.
When the 3.5 pitch track is available to the public, I will have one. It works very well in the deep and steep.
Chassis takes a little getting use to for the PI faithful. You can actually flip it on its side with one hand, standing next to it, on the shop floor.
They will sell a ton of these to the Doo faithful. Along with a much cheaper list price on their new release compared to the AXYS. 4 year Doo warranty without the warranty battle that PI mandates.

Murph

Polaris Moderator/ Polaris Ambassador/ Klim Amb.
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
I really like the concept/ principles of the new Doo clutch. I also really like the way the AXYS handles..

Remember when people were putting P85s on SkiDoos?...
Anybody else wondering what it would take to assemble the new Doo clutch on a Polaris PTO?

What do you think Tony? Possible?

FactoryAir1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Ride them both and make your decision based on that.

Sleds are becoming more and more like MX bikes in that the capabilities of all brands far exceed the ability of most riders.

Come on to a forum for others opinions and all you're going to get is others opinions.

I spent 3 days this past week swapping back and forth between a 15 153 3" Xp and a 16 155 2.6 AXYS and the most quantitative conclusion I came to for my next purchase is this; which brand has a color I can put up with for 2 years (opinion), which has the best price.

Neither sled is going to limit me. But I've always been one to focus on just riding the f#%*ing things rather than the little idiosyncrasies that would inhibit my riding.

Current sled is a 16' AXYS. I love it. Doesn't mean I won't try something else.

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
I really like the concept/ principles of the new Doo clutch. I also really like the way the AXYS handles..

Remember when people were putting P85s on SkiDoos?...
Anybody else wondering what it would take to assemble the new Doo clutch on a Polaris PTO?

What do you think Tony? Possible?

The race clutch from Doo may work. It is the same style and fits the '16 Doo. Wonder if the taper could be altered to fit PI, with either clutch.

Last edited:
Premium Features