• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Who's put some miles on their 14?

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Good stuff!

Woody, I see you like the Proclimb when riding to and from the riding area.

My question is, do you miss the M series chassis once you get to the steep and deep?

"I am glad I am on a Proclimb when it's rough".

Woody

The proclimb is so much easier to ride, doesn't look like anyone misses it. It was one of the best machines ever made.

rockymtnboy

Lifetime Membership
Sep 30, 2010
gods country, bc
The proclimb is so much easier to ride, doesn't look like anyone misses it. It was one of the best machines ever made.
The only time I miss my m is those slow speed, steep side hills. The m is awesome at those and I find my proclimb wanting to flop without keeping speed up. I was told that the bdx front end kit helps this a lot because there is less spindle dragging try to make ya flop. I ordered one for this reason and hope it helps. I love to play on the super steep tight trees!

K

K2

Dec 5, 2011
Anchorage AK
Dam Dave and Woody, thanks.

I have my M8 finally dialed in and you guys want me to get rid of it! It works so well with a 2.6" Powerclaw and the SLP stage III kit that I wet myself every time I ride. :face-icon-small-ton

Watching the movie "Schooled" shows just how agile of a platform the M series can be. I am still waiting for the movie featuring the Arctic Cat Proclimb. :popcorn:

Seriously. I plan to ride a Snowbike, a XM, a Pro and a Proclimb this winter to help me decide my next machine. However, I will keep the M8 as the benchmark to measure the progress of the new sleds.

M agile ?!? >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hras9XCFLI&feature=player_embedded

:face-icon-small-hap

Last edited:

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
The only time I miss my m is those slow speed, steep side hills. The m is awesome at those and I find my proclimb wanting to flop without keeping speed up. I was told that the bdx front end kit helps this a lot because there is less spindle dragging try to make ya flop. I ordered one for this reason and hope it helps. I love to play on the super steep tight trees!

Are u talking about a 14 or 12/13?
that is what stopped me from getting a 13. I hope the 14 is better. I too luv the stop and go in the tight trees while on one ski.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
K2, you nailed it! That video shows exactly what I am talking about.

Is there a similar one featuring the Proclimb? If so, I haven't seen it.

I know the M series chassis is said to feel like a "bathtub" but, wow can that guy in the video ever ride that bathtub!

W

wasatchcomm

Aug 17, 2009
Pinedale wy.
i had the same sled, m8t it was awesome, but after owning a 12 cat 800 and a 13 1100t in this chassis,(just sold my 12 pro rmk 800) i think it has far more advantages than the m, than disadvantages

it is a awesome sled..

personally all three make great sleds now...

but the cat 800 2s hands down has the reliability

no one will argue this

the chassis refinements have been made over the last 2 years, i think if you lighten up the m8000 a bit, and install belt drive, and light weight can
you will have the strongest 2s on the mountain

the 14 cat is i believe what cat has had in mind since 2012, just took a bit to get their....

compare a 07 m8 to a 09 m8

look at the difference, it was noticeable.

09 m8 to a 11m8 motor enhancements

11m8 to a 14m8000

some of you know already, would you go back?? not me......

i would take my 1100t over my 10m8t any day......

spend a day with mbms, find out for yourself....

K

K2

Dec 5, 2011
Anchorage AK
K2, you nailed it! That video shows exactly what I am talking about.

Is there a similar one featuring the Proclimb? If so, I haven't seen it.

I know the M series chassis is said to feel like a "bathtub" but, wow can that guy in the video ever ride that bathtub!

No doubt ! That guy's good, totally one with his sled - probably make a 250 Tundra look good too :face-icon-small-win

At my age, and lack of experience on a sled, in my wildest dreams I'll never be able to pull off those moves, and it wouldn't matter what sled I was on either.

It is nice to know my M8's capable though :face-icon-small-ton

My primary reason for getting a sled in the first place is/was to get further off the road system for backcountry ski approach's and that just happened to be a leftover '11 M8 Ltd. I could've easily gotten away with a lesser sled for my needs but saying that it is indeed one fun ride that's for sure !

It is though very cool too seeing you guys that can utilize any given mountain sled at or near its potential.

Fun stuff !

:face-icon-small-coo

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
DamDave, those were great videos, thanks for sharing.

To me, after watching the videos it doesn't look like the Proclimb is quite as nimble as the M series chassis.....The riders looks like they are exerting more energy to side-hill and to ride with the wrong foot forward than they would on a M8 or a Pro. :popcorn:

S

sled-fiend

Nov 27, 2006
Victoria, BC
www.raintek.ca

To me, after watching the videos it doesn't look like the Proclimb is quite as nimble as the M series chassis.....The riders looks like they are exerting more energy to side-hill and to ride with the wrong foot forward than they would on a M8 or a Pro. :popcorn:

Can you post the link to the video of those same guys exerting less energy on an M8 or a pro in that same terrain? I'd like to see it, I need to know whether to put my sled up for sale before I rack up the odo LOL. Fwiw I bought this sled not expecting it to be easier to ride than the 12 pro I'm coming off. However, I do feel the mental exertion will be considerably less when I'm in the middle of nowhere questioning my sleds reliability:face-icon-small-coo

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose

Keep the M, wont bother me none :typing:

I suspect by the the time you make a decision the Xm, Pro and Pro Climb will have bee phased out by the next best sled lol

Last edited:

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Hopefully ill be riding my 14 on Wednesday. I hope it dangles better than the 13 did. I know its gonna take a while getting used to it after riding my M8 for 5 yrs. I know the 13 is easier to ride than the M8 but the slow speed stop and go on side hills was alot harder.

S

samiams2

Nov 14, 2009
MN...stupid poser flatlander
For m series sleds I rode an 06 m7 and a 10 m8. Both were flickable. Could hang any side hill and where I thought, it went. Trenched, sucked on the trail, etc. The '12 was disappointing in the flickability(whatever that means) dept. I loved my '13. It was close to the "think and go" feeling of my m's but not quite there. BUT, both the 12 and the 13 were far better on the bumps and the suspension in General was better. Less trenching, and got higher on the hill.. Then the track change in '13 made it an animal. Even higher than the '12, tractor end thru the nastiest deep stuff And the narrow front end made a huge diff. That ONE area, "flickability" was still slightly in favor of the m's IMHO.

Frostbite, if you have your m dialed in, love it, and aren't being outdone by your buddies, forget the internet hype and ride the shift out of that thing and enjoy it and all the money you are saving until poo or cat or do comes out with a sled that MAKES you decide. That's my advice. There are spots I wish I had my m, but not enough to go back b/c it is better 97% of the time for me. But better doesn't mean it leaves the m-series in the dust.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Great points Samiams2, that's why I need to spend some time on each of the new sleds before deciding.

I also think Damdave is probably right when he says:

"I suspect by the the time you make a decision the Xm, Pro and Pro Climb will have bee phased out by the next best sled lol"

Honestly, I am so scattered in my thoughts right now. I really want to ride a bike with a Timbersled Mountainhorse kit on it before deciding anything. To make things even more confusing, I am educating myself on large cc motorcross bikes and then it's what is the best bike for a snowbike? Is it a KTM, Husaberg, Husky, Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki...... Geesh. I really need to get out on the snow.......

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
Great points Samiams2, that's why I need to spend some time on each of the new sleds before deciding.

"I suspect by the the time you make a decision the Xm, Pro and Pro Climb will have bee phased out by the next best sled lol"

Honestly, I am so scattered in my thoughts right now. I really want to ride a bike with a Timbersled Mountainhorse kit on it before deciding anything. To make things even more confusing, I am educating myself on large cc motorcross bikes and then it's what is the best bike for a snowbike? Is it a KTM, Husaberg, Husky, Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki...... Geesh. I really need to get out on the snow.......

Go ride something:face-icon-small-ton

1rarel78

Feb 29, 2008
Spokane WA
Throw a turbo on that snowbike, then u really have something!! Those things rip,looks like an absolute blast to ride. Reliable?

05M7

Jan 2, 2008
Just put 100 on mine with minor problems. This sled is a riot to ride just night and day from the 12 I spent a week on and leaps and bounds ahead of where any m wishes it could be. I was planning on a turbo next year but after riding it I don't think I need one I had a blast riding it with just a can and headlight delete

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

rockymtnboy

Lifetime Membership
Sep 30, 2010
gods country, bc
Are u talking about a 14 or 12/13?
that is what stopped me from getting a 13. I hope the 14 is better. I too luv the stop and go in the tight trees while on one ski.

Mine is a 13, I honestly don't think the 14 spindles will be any better for this. They are lighter but I think it is the size of them that is hurting us, or at least me. Lol

M

M8Freerider

Feb 15, 2010
Surrey BC

I had a 2010 TM8 and rode it for 3 years. Ride Whistler, Revy, ect so lots of technical stuff and chutes. Bought a 2013 LE thinking I was upgrading. After dumping allot of weight out of the machine, BDX front end, reworked suspension, bar positioning (goes on and on) it still doesn't compare to the M in 1 dimension. In tight technical riding with good snow the M is a BETTER sled without a doubt. If trails and firm snow conditions are a big part of what you ride then Proclimb is a better choice, but if you are riding technical deep snow, M is the ticket. The biggest downfall of the proclimb is the suspension in the rear skid that causes washouts (foot positioning is goofy)when sidehilling. M also feels lighter to me when sidehilling. Anyway long story short I bought my M8 back this season and can hardly wait to get out! I also think AC is also going in the wrong direction with 2014 skid location (IMO). Turbo snow bike has definitely peeked my curiosity as well... (she will kill me...)

Premium Features