• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What kind of riding do folks do??

riding type

• Technical riding, treed sidehilling type terrain

Votes: 231 74.5%
  • Meadows, lakes, low angle glades

Votes: 43 13.9%
  • Trails

Votes: 5 1.6%
  • Climbing/ highmarking/ chutes

Votes: 27 8.7%
  • Jumping

Votes: 4 1.3%

• Total voters

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
I DO NOT want this to turn into a "you're not as cool as we are" thread, so want the results anonymous I think I did it right), but after some recent comments about what folks think most folks ride, I really am curious what people actually ride as their bread & butter kind of terrain.

I suppose all of us to some extent assume that most folks do whatever it is we do, so each of our opinions of what "the norm" is, is probably about useless.

I know this isn't perfect, but just go with whatever you do "primarily".

I ride epic trails all the way to epic technical trees. Then ride epic sidehills all day on my flickable epic poo pro. While in the meantime, cooking a epic hotpocket in my chrome muff pot. Then I go home and watch the epic video i made on my epic go pro. And check the all the glue spots on my epic flickable poo pro just to be sure that the glue that holds a epic boing 747 together, is still holding my a arm and epic "triangulated carbon fiber over structure" together.

N

nuggetau

Sep 26, 2009
Idaho
Much of what men do is about establishing dominance or setting pack order(no matter the task or activity). We are not much different than a pack of wolves in that regard.

In cave man days the strongest most fearless hunter/fighter was the leader and got the best women and food.

Fast forward a couple million years and give the tribe a bunch of snowmobiles and the fight for dominance is on.

Every group has the tribal leader (best rider), and you will see the same fight for dominance(pecking order), and you will see the same signs of capitulation/submission from the lesser riders as they tell the king how great he is as a rider (the equivalent of rolling over and showing your belly :) ).

So, this is why the super technical riders look down on meadow riders, and the meadow riders look down on the trail riders, etc.

We are just a just a bunch of animals trying to establish the pack order. We might not like to see it described that way, but it's true.

Last edited:
S

Slick

Nov 26, 2007
Much of what men do is about establishing dominance or setting pack order(no matter the task or activity). We are not much different than a pack of wolves in that regard.

In cave man days the strongest most fearless hunter/fighter was the leader and got the best women and food.

Fast forward a couple million years and give the tribe a bunch of snowmobiles and the fight for dominance is on.

Every group has the tribal leader (best rider), and you will see the same fight for dominance(pecking order), and you will see the same signs of capitulation/submission from the lesser riders as they tell the king how great he is as a rider (the equivalent of rolling over and showing your belly :) ).

So, this is why the super technical riders look down on meadow riders, and the meadow riders look down on the trail riders, etc.

We are just a just a bunch of animals trying to establish the pack order. We might not like to see it described that way, but it's true.

You drinkin ?

N

nuggetau

Sep 26, 2009
Idaho
You drinkin ?

I will take that to mean you don't see the correlation? All the competition men do is to set the pecking order, at your work, at the bar, on the playing field, riding dirt bikes/snowmobiles, chasing skirts, etc. We all want to be the alpha in whatever social environment we find ourselves in, the disappointment comes when we have to admit to ourselves that we are just one of the pack. :)

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO

I'll definitely give credence to your post, BUT... the idea that someone "looks down" on someone else that isn't as good as us is a bit incorrect for most I think. I joke about Meadow Muffins & that kinda thing on here, but it's joking... it's all fun (and I even carved a meadow up this one time... don't tell anyone though), but I'm just as excited to teach someone to jump their first 2' "cornice" type jump, or learn throttle control on a tiny stepup to flat where there are no consequences... as I do pushing my wife to pass the 100' mark, then 120', then... Someone trying to get better is something that really inspires me, even if they're not at "my level". I might be leader of the pack in one type of terrain, but then get to another spot, and one of my buddies might wipe the floor with me... I love that.

My wife & I love taking out new riders, to me seeing them progress is 1/2 the fun. Someday I hope to ride with a female that pushes my wife instead of her playing with the sausage fest... I think that would be cool as SH**!!

N

nuggetau

Sep 26, 2009
Idaho
I'll definitely give credence to your post, BUT... the idea that someone "looks down" on someone else that isn't as good as us is a bit incorrect for most I think. I joke about Meadow Muffins & that kinda thing on here, but it's joking... it's all fun (and I even carved a meadow up this one time... don't tell anyone though), but I'm just as excited to teach someone to jump their first 2' "cornice" type jump, or learn throttle control on a tiny stepup to flat where there are no consequences... as I do pushing my wife to pass the 100' mark, then 120', then... Someone trying to get better is something that really inspires me, even if they're not at "my level". I might be leader of the pack in one type of terrain, but then get to another spot, and one of my buddies might wipe the floor with me... I love that.

My wife & I love taking out new riders, to me seeing them progress is 1/2 the fun. Someday I hope to ride with a female that pushes my wife instead of her playing with the sausage fest... I think that would be cool as SH**!!

"Looking down" may have been a poor choice of words on my part, but the technical tree rider, climber, meadows, trail, flatlander threads are about the struggle for dominance. The belief that one is more difficult than the other, which infers that whoever is doing the more difficult riding is dominant.

The truth is, a good flatland rider will make a good western rider. There is no dominant riding type, just different skill sets. Gradient magnifies the necessity of those skills.

"A great deal of truth is spoken in jest", There are 2 times when I think I can trust that someone is speaking to me truthfully, when they are speaking in anger, and when they are "joking". For most men "joking" is a passive aggressive way of saying what they really think to your face. If you call them on it, they say "just joking buddy", rest assured, they weren't. There are always exceptions to this, not everyone does it, or in every situation, but as a broad generalization I find it to be true.

The collaborative people in the pack probably make for the happiest people and happy lives, the type A people spend their whole lives striving to be the alpha. Being the alpha definitely can have it's perks (Money, prestige, women), but it usually doesn't result in as much happiness as the guys in the pack working together. :) Sounds like you get to be one of the happy ones! :face-icon-small-ton

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
does anyone sell a "meadow muffin" tshirt? i'd like to have one. wonder if i can change my screen name;)

some guys i ride with are there just to have a good time, to others everything is a competition. seems the older i get the more comfortable i am with my riding abilities and don't worry so much about who gets the proverbile highmark. sometimes...

well couldn't do my screen name but it is my currently:)

Last edited:

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
"Looking down" may have been a poor choice of words on my part, but the technical tree rider, climber, meadows, trail, flatlander threads are about the struggle for dominance. The belief that one is more difficult than the other, which infers that whoever is doing the more difficult riding is dominant.

The truth is, a good flatland rider will make a good western rider. There is no dominant riding type, just different skill sets. Gradient magnifies the necessity of those skills.

"A great deal of truth is spoken in jest", There are 2 times when I think I can trust that someone is speaking to me truthfully, when they are speaking in anger, and when they are "joking". For most men "joking" is a passive aggressive way of saying what they really think to your face. If you call them on it, they say "just joking buddy", rest assured, they weren't. There are always exceptions to this, not everyone does it, or in every situation, but as a broad generalization I find it to be true.

The collaborative people in the pack probably make for the happiest people and happy lives, the type A people spend their whole lives striving to be the alpha. Being the alpha definitely can have it's perks (Money, prestige, women), but it usually doesn't result in as much happiness as the guys in the pack working together. :) Sounds like you get to be one of the happy ones! :face-icon-small-ton

Ill be honest I've never understood people who aren't competitive in at least SOME way... the idea of coasting through life not at least TRYING to better yourself in whatever way seems odd to me. I've been a competitor all my life at something or another, so it's just nature to me. I'm sure I'm a type A in many regards, but seeing someone else succeed actually gives me as much or more joy as experiencing it myself (I used to be a clinician for snowboard teachers in Ski school, and a coach for racers) That said, I've been beaten in EVERYTHING I've ever done, from the ring to the slopes on a board to sledding, it's part of what drives some to be better. The idea of looking down on the person that is less of a rider seems foreign to me, just looking down to some extent on the ones not willing to push, compete, improve... whatever you want to call it. You HAVE to be less of a rider to get better, plain & simple... it's not magic.

I suppose if I'm honest with myself, yeah, I do look down on some a little, but it's more looking down on their "drive" than looking down on where they're at. (My brother was a world class athlete when he was younger & just gave it up... he just didn't feel like pushing anymore, I'll never be at his level in a kayak, but I look down on him a little for quitting) I want to ride with people who are excited, smack talk (joking) is 1/2 the fun, and a fun way to push each other. Even the guys on the sally long tracks enjoy some smack talk here & there... RIGHT???:face-icon-small-win

F

Farmbuilt800

Oct 28, 2010
Morgan, Utah
Ill be honest I've never understood people who aren't competitive in at least SOME way... the idea of coasting through life not at least TRYING to better yourself in whatever way seems odd to me. I've been a competitor all my life at something or another, so it's just nature to me. I'm sure I'm a type A in many regards, but seeing someone else succeed actually gives me as much or more joy as experiencing it myself (I used to be a clinician for snowboard teachers in Ski school, and a coach for racers) That said, I've been beaten in EVERYTHING I've ever done, from the ring to the slopes on a board to sledding, it's part of what drives some to be better. The idea of looking down on the person that is less of a rider seems foreign to me, just looking down to some extent on the ones not willing to push, compete, improve... whatever you want to call it. You HAVE to be less of a rider to get better, plain & simple... it's not magic.

I suppose if I'm honest with myself, yeah, I do look down on some a little, but it's more looking down on their "drive" than looking down on where they're at. (My brother was a world class athlete when he was younger & just gave it up... he just didn't feel like pushing anymore, I'll never be at his level in a kayak, but I look down on him a little for quitting) I want to ride with people who are excited, smack talk (joking) is 1/2 the fun, and a fun way to push each other. Even the guys on the sally long tracks enjoy some smack talk here & there... RIGHT???:face-icon-small-win
X2!!!!!!

XFIRE800

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2009
Aberdeen, SD

I agree on the competitiveness. Im not a very good rider, but have more ability and courage than some of my friends that are newer to the sport. I try to push them to do the things I am doing, especially when its a safe environment where nothing is going to be wrecked. It really grinds my gears when they won't even attempt things. Especially when the excuse is "I can't" or "I don't want to get stuck". If your going to have that attitude you might as well sit at home in South Dakota and ditch bang. Its always a blast when someone finds a nasty line and we finally chit talk someone until they give in. 90% of the time they get done and think, wow that wasn't as hard as i thought it was going to be, and the other 10% were all helping dig out. Pushing each other all day long is what makes riding fun.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Let me tell ya me and and my bros really like to shred it up when we ride bro. One bro didn't want to shred hard enough and we were all like bro what's yer deal and he was like bro I'm just not feelin it and we were like bro you totally got this bro. Long story short bro straight piled that MF'er into a rock some hard. So I went home and complained on SW how it's bullsh!t how my bros at the dealer wouldn't warranty the sled for my bro. Bros that make the sled should know we hit stuff bro, that's just the way she bro's.

XFIRE800

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2009
Aberdeen, SD
Let me tell ya me and and my bros really like to shred it up when we ride bro. One bro didn't want to shred hard enough and we were all like bro what's yer deal and he was like bro I'm just not feelin it and we were like bro you totally got this bro. Long story short bro straight piled that MF'er into a rock some hard. So I went home and complained on SW how it's bullsh!t how my bros at the dealer wouldn't warranty the sled for my bro. Bros that make the sled should know we hit stuff bro, that's just the way she bro's.

No.

N

nuggetau

Sep 26, 2009
Idaho

Bro, please define "shred".

I have a friend who says he really likes to "dice it up" when he rides. I should get you 2 bro's together so you can shred and dice at the same time. :nod:

Then you would just need to find a third who likes to "julienne".

Last edited:

ACTM7

Premium Member
Feb 15, 2008
I think to many people ride one way on the SW forum and a different way on there sled!!! But if you come back to truck at end of ride look at buddy's or kids or whoever you ride with an you all say that was fun day an load up ready to do it again diff day . That's type of ridding I try to find

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
I think to many people ride one way on the SW forum and a different way on there sled!!! But if you come back to truck at end of ride look at buddy's or kids or whoever you ride with an you all say that was fun day an load up ready to do it again diff day . That's type of ridding I try to find

This isn't the Mr Rodgers show bro! Were talking about Neanderthals competing for a Dino steak and the lady over there with 2 teeth and Braided arm pit hair! It's and epic competition all the way to the top brosif! If it ain't epic pow on a 60% sidehill, you might as well stay at the trailer bro. This is the god damn snow west forum. Only the finest most epic riders on the planet on here bro!!!

Premium Features