• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

M6000

S
6000 sno pro observations

When they said that they introduced this for the mountain market I was the first to say it will lack the power. My riding partner bought one as a second sled. I ride a 2013 800 proclimb with all the goodies from slp and bdx front end. He usually rides his primary sled which is the 1100 turbo. Went out yesterday for a break in ride with his new 6000. I gave it test ride and it changed my opinion. This sled feels more like an 800 motor than any 600 or 700 most folks are used to. I have been riding mountain sleds for over 25 years and have owned all the 600's, 700's and 800's . I would honestly say that this sled could possibly be compared more to the non h.o. 800 like the 2009 m8 but with much better chassis and handling characteristics. It feels more like a great handling m7 on steroids. It does feel lighter than an 800 as well. I am excited to what Cat will do next season with this design! If they build this newer motor in an 800? They all just keep getting better! Thanks to competition. If any of you get a chance to throw leg over one of these new baby kid sleds it will change your mind.

C

CatRpillar

Oct 9, 2011
Wild Rose Country
I would really like to know what your definition of kids is above. Numerous first hand "stories". I am sure stories are what they are to back up your opinion. If true, I would bet most of them would be 16 to 18 that had no adult supervision and were out riding sleds going way faster than was safe. That is not the sled or the kids fault it is their parents.

Anyone can get hurt at anytime riding a snowmobile regardless of age whether in the mountains or flatland. You are riding on terrain that is covered and at times have no idea what is under the snow. The one thing I really like about mountian riding is the majority of the time your are not going mach 9 with your hair on fire. The terrain does not allow it. The statement made that kids should not be riding in the moutains has got to be the most ignorant statement I have seen on here in a long time. I am not trying to hi-jack this thread but the statements here stung me.

My son who is 10 Y.O.A. has been riding dirtbike, four wheelers, and snowmobiles before he was 3 Y.O.A and younger. We have spent countless hours and thousands of dollars teaching and training him to ride in control and responsible. I brought him to the mountains last year and we had the time of our lives "together". This is something we will be able to share for many years to come. My brother and I made sure he was safe, knew where he was at all times and knew where the nearest warming hut was at all times. He also had GPS to follow and knew how to use it. He had more safety items than most people riding in the moutains.

This thread was the original poster asking about the new 600 or 6000. You guys should be complimenting him on trying to find a machine that he thinks will work for his children or family to ride. He is getting them into the sport and doing things with his family. I tip my hat to him and compliment him on investing his time and money into his family.

I'm not going to get into a internet yapping match and look up a whole bunch of stats to back up my assertion, but you are right when you say that the ones I can think of were generally 16-18 and not supervised. Under the conditions you state of course things are going to be a bit safer but it still makes me wonder why anyone would need to have their 10 yr old running a 160hp sled. But like I said earlier, that's not my choice. Don't feel like you have to defend it to me.

As for the other posters 'haters are going to hate' remark, whatever. Maybe I should reply that your mother wears army boots or such - same level.

iluv2fly

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
When they said that they introduced this for the mountain market I was the first to say it will lack the power. My riding partner bought one as a second sled. I ride a 2013 800 proclimb with all the goodies from slp and bdx front end. He usually rides his primary sled which is the 1100 turbo. Went out yesterday for a break in ride with his new 6000. I gave it test ride and it changed my opinion. This sled feels more like an 800 motor than any 600 or 700 most folks are used to. I have been riding mountain sleds for over 25 years and have owned all the 600's, 700's and 800's . I would honestly say that this sled could possibly be compared more to the non h.o. 800 like the 2009 m8 but with much better chassis and handling characteristics. It feels more like a great handling m7 on steroids. It does feel lighter than an 800 as well. I am excited to what Cat will do next season with this design! If they build this newer motor in an 800? They all just keep getting better! Thanks to competition. If any of you get a chance to throw leg over one of these new baby kid sleds it will change your mind.

I have no doubt this little 600 is a great running sled. I had the 13 600 pro rmk last year and it ran excellent. Would go everywhere the 800 would go and only lacked a little on real steep hills. Ran much better than my m7 and was a better deep powder machine. The new 600s rock

G

ggcustoms

Dec 4, 2007
NW Wisconsin
?

Anyone get any seat time on this yet? Right now I am leaning towards a 600 for next year. Either a pro 600 or a m6000. Never had an AC before but I hear great things about the PC2.6 Everyone I ride with has 8s and I kinda just want to be different. Also I didn't realize the 6000 was a totally new (better) motor. Good luck mja. Thanks fellas.

C

cowkiller

Nov 26, 2007
Eugene Or.
I have to agree that 600s have a place in my Garage. My wife has had an M6 since 2007
I am looking for a way to put her on the new M6000. Meaning I will trade off my 07 M8 and Keep her old M6 as our back up sled.
She has the opportunity to ride the 800 whenever she wants she prefers the 600. The weight difference and the way the power comes on she does not like.
. At 115 lbs the sled does not even know she is on it. She goes where I go and lack of power has never been an issue

Bushpilot

Lifetime Membership
Sep 27, 2005
Anybody get some seat time on a M6000? looking to buy for the wife and as second sled. How is it doing climbing hils and boondocking?

mja

Lifetime Membership
May 18, 2011
Heading to the snowys on Saturday for a week, I should have a good review when I return or possibly when im out there.

C

cowkiller

Nov 26, 2007
Eugene Or.
well I have one sitting in my trailer waiting for snow. Nice sled! I got it for the wife and she is not able to pull the rope either. I think once she is out on the snow it will get easier for her but I want to know if electric start can be added.
I think it is going to run great! I am pretty excited for her.

M
Dec 23, 2013
just rode the new 6000 and 8000 side by side in deep snow boondocking. anyone who thinks that the 6000 is only for women or kids will be mistaken. the 6 will go anywhere the 8 will and still have a half tank of gas to pull out all the turboz/modz that are broke down or blown belts etc...

F

Farmbuilt800

Oct 28, 2010
Morgan, Utah
Can u tell much of a weight difference? (I really would like to get my wife one of these I just want to make sure its something that she is goin to be able to ride. She would be coming off of a 98 rmk 600 144 so I know it will be a big change. Maybe I will see if we can demo one from somewhere.

F

fuzz

Jul 4, 2001
Great Falls,Montana
I got one for my wife too and it is the first sled she ever had in 35 years that she couldnt start warm. (she is 5' 105 lbs and 67 yrs old) She could start her 05 M7 no problem. Seems like you have to pull the rope all the way out for it to go. Looked into e-start kit but they dont have one for it this year even tho they have e-start on some 6000 Z and XF models. Say they should have kit by next year. Was going to get start kit on my M8000 and let her ride it but they dont have those kits made yet either. Bummer. Only got 100 miles so far and hope it loosens up . We will just have to stay close when we shutdown.

021b.jpg

XFIRE800

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2009
Aberdeen, SD
just rode the new 6000 and 8000 side by side in deep snow boondocking. anyone who thinks that the 6000 is only for women or kids will be mistaken. the 6 will go anywhere the 8 will and still have a half tank of gas to pull out all the turboz/modz that are broke down or blown belts etc...

I hope your right, everyone said the same thing about the pro 600 right away and having ridden with them, they are not a real close comparison to the 800. At elevation they just dont have the snort to do the things i want to do. Don't get me wrong, they handle great and are a fun little sled, just not exactly what they were hyped up to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Super 8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2012
I got one for my wife too and it is the first sled she ever had in 35 years that she couldnt start warm. (she is 5' 105 lbs and 67 yrs old) She could start her 05 M7 no problem. Seems like you have to pull the rope all the way out for it to go. Looked into e-start kit but they dont have one for it this year even tho they have e-start on some 6000 Z and XF models. Say they should have kit by next year. Was going to get start kit on my M8000 and let her ride it but they dont have those kits made yet either. Bummer. Only got 100 miles so far and hope it loosens up . We will just have to stay close when we shutdown.
You got bad info; here is the kit.
http://store.arcticcat.com/product/549544/6639-604/_/Electric_Start_Kit
Here is the kit in stock at dealer, ready to ship
http://countrycat.com/ccstore/index...ic-cat-electric-start-kit-zr-f-xf-m-8000.html

Last edited:
C

cowkiller

Nov 26, 2007
Eugene Or.
I got the same information about e-start for the M6000 from my dealer. He says they will not be available until fall.
My wife is strong enough she is just going to have to change the way she pulls it. I am really anxious to try this sled ...
No Snow around here!

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
I had 2009 M8 153 and decided to upgrade to 2014 M8000 LE SnoPro153. My wife rode 2005 M7 141 (hand me down) so got her 2014 M6000 153. I can pull it through but it's got too much compression for her (105 lbs soaking wet) so hope can get electric start put on. Anyway, we rode the Hill last weekend and I tried the 600 a while. If you think that "little" sombitch dont have snort, think again. Maybe 'only' 125 hp rated but certainly no slouch. We played in 3-4 feet of powder and it handled good. Much smoother ride on lumpy trails than the older Cats.
Fuzz

God dang, almost 80 and out tearing it up!
My only wish is that that is me and my wife in 40 years!
Hats off to you sir.

mja

Lifetime Membership
May 18, 2011
Ok here is my review after a week out in the Snowy's. First off let me say this was my first time on a Proclimb, the sled was new and I'm from Indiana. The first couple of days I didn't throttle to hard as it was in break in mode but it kept getting stronger with every minute. Id say around 150 miles it cut loose and now is a absolute animal. As has been stated it runs as strong as a 09 800. Being a novice to the mountains I didn't see how high I could highmark but what I did climb it did with authority, only one time I wish my old 800ho but I don't know if that would have helped anyway. Once I got the suspension set close to my likings it would side hill and climb in the deep just fine with out trenching or washing out. What I didnt like was the clutching (rpm to low) but I will and/or would have changed it anyway to a decent setup. Gas mileage is what it is depending on how you ride. Oil consumption is awesome. I know a lot of folks want this sled for there wives thinking it will be easier to start but I have found it is still tight to pull and you have pull the rope all the way to get it to fire. It does fire on the first pull every time though. Over all Im very happy I chose this sled as it does everything I want it to do. I would highly recommend it. I think it will surprise a lot of you out there.

C

cowkiller

Nov 26, 2007
Eugene Or.
Thanks for a great review... It sounds like the sled is exactly what I hoped it would be.
I am so excited for the wife to finally have a great sled.
Right now I would be happy if I snowed enough to trail ride.
Thanks again I will keep you posted once we see some snow.

F

fuzz

Jul 4, 2001
Great Falls,Montana
Have about 150 miles on the 6000. Oil consumption is something. After about 75 miles, my 8 used 21 oz and the 6 used 5 oz. If that continues I wont have to buy much of Cats high priced stuff. Mostly trail riding got 10.7mpg on 8 and 11.7 on 6 so will see if that changes as they loosen up.

Premium Features