• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

M6000

mja

Lifetime Membership
May 18, 2011
Leader Marine Kalamazoo Michigan quoted me that price.

Sorry for negative comments last night, I just don't like being told how to raise my boys. I don't have intentions of putting them on it this year. I cant find a M5 so I figured I ride this a couple of years and then had it down.

mountaincat68papa

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Great Falls MT.
Just my opinion I think that m6000 would be a great sled , for the 12 year old , wife, backup, heck Id ride it. Would love to know how that cteck motor works out. My kids were riding in the mountains before 12.

S

samiams2

Nov 14, 2009
MN...stupid poser flatlander
I wish I was mt riding before '12.

Now into this....
The key thing is recognizing your sleds and your own limitations.

If you're in a group and someone is having issues getting into or out of areas the group isnt riding responsibly. Doesn't matter if you're on a 6 or an 8 or some mod machine, pro or newb.

Have been where guys have broken arms and got concussions. Doesn't matter if they're on a wooden toboggan then.

It is The goal of everyone in our group is #1 to get back safely and #2 to challenge ourselves and each other. But it is the mountains. In the 12+ yrs of riding out there are prob a half doz times where we r enjoying an innocent area and suddenly the terrain starts to change. Group turns around, one guy gets sucked down a little too far and has to work his way out. Our group NEVER splits up, so we wait. ONE TIME, one of the guys in our group rented a 6 instead of the 8....and it screwed us over. That's all in saying.

Let a smaller person, 12yr old, girl, my grandma, whoever, get used to the sled and it's power in a safe open area and they will be fine on an 8....that's all I am saying. And if I was in OP's shoes, and could get an 8 for $300 more, I would drive 12 hrs to do it. Just mho.

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
My only real point in this is that if I could get a 8 for 300.00 more than a 6 I would buy the 8, the 8 will always have a higher resale than a 6, always:typing:

R

rmscustom

Jun 8, 2010
600 is a great sled to learn on and more. The problem is some people think HP replaces skill... I've rode with some that cant get their $20000 turbo out of a hole that my old M7 would easily get out of... One of the coolest things I ever saw was Brett R take the gf's old 06 600 X-Fire with a 2'' track and go places that most can't no matter what CCs their riding on.

KSH

Steering Wheel Holder
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Mar 22, 2005
Larkspur, CO
What everybody needs to reread is where he will be riding it.
Michigan.

A 600 at this elevation is the same as a 800 at a high elevation.
And flatlanders and insurance company's like the smaller cc motors

mja

Lifetime Membership
May 18, 2011
Please nobody butt out. I think there will be a market for this sled and anybody looking for info on SW can find it here. Yes I will be riding this in the backwoods of the UP of Michigan. It may make it out west as backup sled but I have a Crossfire/M 153 800ho for out west.

Also here is a new update. My dealer located one and price was dropped to $10300 once he got a confirmed price, plus I get the 2 year engine warranty and $300 in Cat cash.

The dealer that quoted the 800 price still hasn't even heard of the sled let alone located one. I never even asked for a price on the 800. They thought I meant 8000 when I mentioned 6000. They buy the crap out of a bunch sleds to get cheaper prices but I question there sales and service.

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
About 4 years ago me and the girlfriend were riding the Colorado backcountry when a blizzard came up. So we try to hightail it out as we are on a Viper and an Apex. We get into trouble as the very steep sidehill has about 2 feet of powder on it and coming down hard. I am only 160lbs so on the Apex sidehilling was a...well...yeah. And the girlfriend on the Viper wasn't going to have any fun either.

So along comes two short track (144 or so) small displacement sleds piloted by some very savvy guys. They do things going up and down that 2 foot powder over base that was amazing. They went several tiimes over that area so we could get out, if you were one of those guys THANKS!

As you could imagine the Apex went away pretty quick after that and the girlfriend now has a Phazer. My point? I have SEEN what skill on a small displacement sled can do. If you think a 600 cannot be an effective moutain sled you are mistaken....I have seen it (note: I don't consider myself one of those riders).

BUT, had the dealer an M6 when I bought my 2014 M8 I think I would have bought it instead.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
600s are great sleds. I was riding them when I was 12. Someone starting on a 600 is going to learn the fundamentals of riding way faster than someone on an 800 because they can't get away with mistakes as easy. And I bet a 600 is way more likely to dig in and get firmly stuck in a bad situation on a hill than an 800 that will keep digging and loop out on someone that is not expecting it.

I'm pretty sure that anyone who is going to get themselves into trouble on a 600 is going to get into trouble on an 800 as well. 800 might be easier for someone else to ride it out, but at that point the mistake is not the sled's fault. I had a friend drop into a drainage with a 900 and 159 track that he had to walk out of that night and ride two up back to the truck. We ended up going back and spending the next day getting it out. He is a decent rider too. Sometimes it just happens no matter what the sled is.

av8er

Lifetime Membership
Sep 16, 2006
Kalispell, MT.
I'm not necessarily sticking up for anybody but

the post was asking about the m6000, and then he stated he found a m8000 for only $300 more. there was no disclosure that the m6000 was for his 12 year old son until later. I told him that If he could get a m8000 for only an additional $300 that he should buy the m8000. Sure a m8000 has way more power than a 12 year old needs. but he's still 12 if you teach him some basic throttle control. it won't be an issue, also a m6-153 stiil weighs about 450 lbs, where as a m8000- 153 is only about 20 lbs heavier. but the motor puts out 40 more HP Stock. My 8 year old nephew rides a yamaha phazer MTN lite.
which probably weighs as much as a m8000

C

CatRpillar

Oct 9, 2011
Wild Rose Country
I must be out of touch with the new kids sleds. Does this mean I should be looking for a Chevy big block for my cat now that the 800's are considered beginner sleds?:face-icon-small-ton

A

arctic2009

Nov 19, 2009
Minnesota
Please nobody butt out. I think there will be a market for this sled and anybody looking for info on SW can find it here. Yes I will be riding this in the backwoods of the UP of Michigan. It may make it out west as backup sled but I have a Crossfire/M 153 800ho for out west.

Also here is a new update. My dealer located one and price was dropped to $10300 once he got a confirmed price, plus I get the 2 year engine warranty and $300 in Cat cash.

The dealer that quoted the 800 price still hasn't even heard of the sled let alone located one. I never even asked for a price on the 800. They thought I meant 8000 when I mentioned 6000. They buy the crap out of a bunch sleds to get cheaper prices but I question there sales and service.

mja I would get a new dealer if they dont even know about the new 6000.. Its been everywhere. Anyone that is even semi serious into sledding has to know this thing is out?? That aside, I think you should go with what you think. If you want your kid to start out on something smaller go for it! Heck I might just try one because I want to try out the new motor.. At the end of the day if you are having fun and your sons are having fun that's all that matters. You dont need to climb to the top of the steepest hill to have a good time. The resale on that 6000 will be more than you think, they are being built in limited quantities. Someone who didnt get one the first time around may be willing to pay a little more :face-icon-small-win

av8er

Lifetime Membership
Sep 16, 2006
Kalispell, MT.
what new motor

isn't it the same 125 HP motor that is in every M6 ever built.? D!ckhead comments aside, there isn't a whole lot of difference in a m6000-153" vs m8000 -153" except 20-25 lbs and 40 HP. I think the old m6 is a great sled for younger people and lighter riders. ie. smaller females. it's a huge improvement over the m5. My sister in law rocks a m6 with a 153x2.5"

C

CatRpillar

Oct 9, 2011
Wild Rose Country
Geez av8er, did you have to bad post me? Honestly, I think it's great when a kid starts off on an 8. Suzuki sells training wheels for Hayabusas too if you're thinking of getting your kid a bike.:face-icon-small-ton

mja

Lifetime Membership
May 18, 2011
mja I would get a new dealer if they dont even know about the new 6000.. Its been everywhere. Anyone that is even semi serious into sledding has to know this thing is out?? That aside, I think you should go with what you think. If you want your kid to start out on something smaller go for it! Heck I might just try one because I want to try out the new motor.. At the end of the day if you are having fun and your sons are having fun that's all that matters. You dont need to climb to the top of the steepest hill to have a good time. The resale on that 6000 will be more than you think, they are being built in limited quantities. Someone who didnt get one the first time around may be willing to pay a little more :face-icon-small-win

This dealer was 3 hours north of me. I was more or less just price checking around. My dealer is a few miles from me. He did a little homework and within 45 minutes we were fairly positive we had one. A day later it was confirmed. The dealer north of me still hasn't got back with me one.

I do think the resale will higher than some think. Ive been looking for some time for a M6, M5 or in a crossfire form and the prices are stupid high. 800's are everywhere and pretty much you can pic and chose and set your price on the 800's.

Premium Features