• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2013/14 XM turbo kit options

D

deaner

Nov 26, 2007
Creston, BC
Just thought it would be interesting to start a thread to compare the different turbo kits. So just wondering if it is possible to have an objective discussion comparing the different kits that are out there..........but you know how that goes with these types of threads so i guess we'll see!

The options right now are:

TSS - http://topsecretshop.ca/awpcp/show-ad/25/tss-e-tec-turbo-kit/turbo-kits/

Boondocker - http://boondockers.com/?page_id=604

Turbo Boyz - http://www.turboboyz.com/catalog/product.php?id_product=292

Silber - http://www.silberturbos.com/product/DOOXMTURBO

Aerocharger - http://aerocharger.com/turbo-systems/snowmobiles/skidoo-etec/

Impulse - not a bunch of info yet

Just curious to hear real world feedback that everyone has on each kit. Also be interested to see discussion on what people feel are the important components of each kit.

Which turbo; is it worth a tial upgrade or is it just bling, are garrets the best or are kpa's any good, do aerochargers make the same power as an automotive? Are the new oilless turbos any good?

Are intercoolers necessary? I know there are a few schools of thought on this one.

Which controller is the one to have? The consensus that I get is that dobeck is junk, boost it is great, bullydog???, heard the boondocker kits ran like complete garbage last year. So bad a buddy just gave up and took it off

Which kits need stuff. Ie. clutching, gauges, etc

Should be a fun thread with all of the knowledgable guys on here.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
More of an update on fuel solutions.

The newer versions of the dobeck controllers that silber uses all utilize gm 3 bar sensors to eliminate the issues of old many remember regarding the failure prone onboard boost sensor. This eliminates 99% of the moisture related failures of old. On the xm they also work with variois stock components to provide some of the cleanest fueling on the market. Batch firing extra injectors only yields acceptable results.

On a side note, I haven't actually seen any boondocker xm videos. Any links would be appreciates.

Last edited:
D

deaner

Nov 26, 2007
Creston, BC
Yeah like I said, my buddy had one and if anyone could make it run it would be him. He couldnt. Got mad and finally took it off. Sounds like the boondocker kit was kind of a disaster from what I have heard. I rode thier prototype kit right before they released their first etec kit. It pulled like a raped ape on the top end, but was just gross on the bottom and mid. Hopefully they get it figured out.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Also bully dog is most likely going to be a no go on the etec as they don't do extra injectors. And bigger DI units are not something that is readily available right now. So more or less comparing various forms of extra injector drivers at the moment.

D

deaner

Nov 26, 2007
Creston, BC
Wow, no feedback from any of the vendors even? It doesnt have to turn into a pissing match. Just say why you think "x" kit is the one to have and why. Worst case scenario if people disagree on something then just agree to disagree??

I like the simplicity of the aero kit. Leary of the aero turbo though and havent heard great things about thier controllers.

Heard from some TSS owners that they work flawlessly, heard other stories that they dont. They are FREAKING expensive though. You would think for that price you would get the oilless turbo and tial as part of the package?

Heard nothing but bad about boondocker.

Dont really know anything about the others.

turbo800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Northern,UT
I haven't rode any other kits for the XM other than Turbo Performance's. My buddy bought it late in the season, and only had a couple miles on it, if that, when the kit was installed. Right out of the box the thing is a runner. I think it had the Attitude box also. In and out of the throttle was silky smooth, better than any turbo I've ever rode, including mine. I remember it was only a few hundred RPMs above engagement and it was building boost. I remember thinking it was as rideable as you could want in the mid range, but as wild wide open as we all love. If I was in the market for a kit, it would be at the TOP of my list! Just my $.02

Backcountrypro

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
I have one season on my Turbo Performance Etec and I am very happy with it. I opted to go with the Boost-it box and I am very happy with how crisp and responsive the engine is. The sled runs very stock like before the boost comes on, once the boost starts hold on tight! I have never had any bogging issues. I found the Boost it box very easy to set and when you make a fueling change you can actually feel/hear it and verify the change on the AFR gauge. Josh was very helpful....he answered a lot of text messages!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cbx7d1Ckqpw&feature=c4-overview&list=UUtSneQpt0WM5daFRlXESquw

Last edited:
D

deaner

Nov 26, 2007
Creston, BC
I see alot of the major builders have had a look at this thread, but not chimed in. Im sure alot of people are curious to hear your feedback.

Ricks 32

Premium Member
Aug 26, 2008
Idaho
I spent a full day on the snow with a BD tial kit on the XM in Island Park last January. I currently don't own a BD kit yet. I do have a tial OVS kit on an M series. I ride with a lot of BD Pro's, Cat's and some OVS cats as well.

I rode in the trees for almost eight hours, running just shy of 8 lbs boost. It took me 30 minutes to get my bearings on the XM chassis, and then I was taking it everywhere. I was actually with BD, and they told me to climb every hill, hit every jump and go anywhere I pleased. We actually ran the sled on 85 octane ethanol fuel from Maverick.

There was a slight hesitation in the low end that I didn't like. We ended up changing the primary clutch spring to a little stiffer spring and that completely fixed it. I had an awesome day playing in the powder. I doubt I had the sled on two ski's more than a few times. Throttle control was crisp and instantaneous (after we changed the spring) and I was climbing everything possible.

I was very impressed with the XM chassis in the tight stuff. I had to override it a few times on real steep sidehills as the back end would try to wash out, but once I understood the mannerisms of the chassis, this wasn't a problem. The BD kit would build boost instantly. I could ride right up to a deep creek bed and hammer the throttle and the sled would react perfectly, lifting the ski's and staying on top of the snow.

The low end power was very impressive and the motor pulled very well on the long pulls, even at less than 8 lbs of boost. I'm sure with some better fuel and higher boost this would get even better.

I saw some negative posts related to the BD kit and I thought I'd let you guys know my experience was excellent. This was the first time I rode an XM sled and I was very pleased. If I owned an XM, I wouldn't think twice about getting this kit.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
We actually ran the sled on 85 octane ethanol fuel from Maverick.
even at less than 8 lbs of boost. I'm sure with some better fuel and higher boost this would get even better.

Really... 8 # of boost on straight 85 octane ethanol fuel? I don't wanna stir trouble by calling BS, but, I don't know what else to do? unless the first half of the tank was 110 or something!

Ricks 32

Premium Member
Aug 26, 2008
Idaho
Fair enough. I really have no need to manipulate info here. Jared at BD wanted to get a feel for how the sled would respond to poor fuel. You never really know what you get at some places, especially in rural areas. Sometimes you need to borrow fuel on the mountain. Not all riders are running premium ethenol fuel. I'm sure we were riding between 8k and 9k and at less than 8 lbs, (I hope I stated that earlier). It was back in January and I don't recall if I was at 7.6 or 6.7 or 7.3? I just know it was less than 8 lbs.

Anyhow, I don't own an XM, nor do I own a BD kit. However, in an effort to give the Doo crowd a non biased review, what you read was reality. I was very pleased with the handling of the XM and the performance of the turbo kit.

I'm positive BD doesn't promote the use of non premium fuel. The use of lower quality fuel was only for the purpose of testing.

T

twsandrew

Nov 26, 2007
I have only ridden the Impulse kit in early dev on 7.5 lbs on an XM but it was the cleanest fueled boosted sled I have ever ridden and I have owned 7 boosted sleds and have ridden most everything. I am not sure if Paul is releasing them widely but if he is I would look that way. I will be buying one if they will run higher boost.

N

nuttyn01

Dec 3, 2007
Sioux Falls, SD
etec turbo options

Aero has been working with Skidoo and producing kits for the etec for, I believe, 4 years now. I cant speak too the other builders quality, ease of installation, rideability, etc. but tough not to take a hard look at the aero kit. Aerocharger knows there chit when it comes to the skidoo!

good luck!

dooxtreme

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
WY
I have the Aerocharger kit on my sled and set up by Felkers. I love the sled a 2011 800 etec. Runs great and so easy to ride that my 9 year rides it. Only running 5psi of boost. The power is real smooth coming on and you can go on and off the throttle pulling hills with trees with no worries. Biggest thing with turbo sleds is getting the sled set up the first time correctly. Once u do that it's all about having fun. If u have questions about the aerocharger turbo kits call Felker Motorsports in Loveland CO. He set up all the turbo sleds for skidoo hill climb team and has around 90 turbo sleds he built sold out there. As for the other turbo companies, I haven't personally rode their tubo sleds so I can't give an opinion on theirs. I was fortunate to be able to test drive my sled for a day before I bought it. The test ride is what sold the sled to me. I was able to ride the turbo sled and a 2013 xm that day.

800Gader

Premium Member
Apr 16, 2005
Wisconsin
Silber

Don't have one yet, but have been looking at various setups and like them for a few reasons. First, even though I hate the weight, I like electric start and most setups do not leave room for the battery. Next, Silber uses the stock intake, which is nice because I may want to remove the kit for another sled and will have no holes in any panels, plus I get into many tight spots and an air cleaner sticking thru the hood would never last. Lastly, their package looks great installed and the pricing is better than most.
That's my 3 pennys worth.

C
Jan 14, 2008
Just thought it would be interesting to start a thread to compare the different turbo kits. So just wondering if it is possible to have an objective discussion comparing the different kits that are out there..........but you know how that goes with these types of threads so i guess we'll see!

The options right now are:

TSS - http://topsecretshop.ca/awpcp/show-ad/25/tss-e-tec-turbo-kit/turbo-kits/

Boondocker - http://boondockers.com/?page_id=604

Turbo Boyz - http://www.turboboyz.com/catalog/product.php?id_product=292

Silber - http://www.silberturbos.com/product/DOOXMTURBO

Aerocharger - http://aerocharger.com/turbo-systems/snowmobiles/skidoo-etec/

Impulse - not a bunch of info yet

Just curious to hear real world feedback that everyone has on each kit. Also be interested to see discussion on what people feel are the important components of each kit.

Which turbo; is it worth a tial upgrade or is it just bling, are garrets the best or are kpa's any good, do aerochargers make the same power as an automotive? Are the new oilless turbos any good?

Are intercoolers necessary? I know there are a few schools of thought on this one.

Which controller is the one to have? The consensus that I get is that dobeck is junk, boost it is great, bullydog???, heard the boondocker kits ran like complete garbage last year. So bad a buddy just gave up and took it off

Which kits need stuff. Ie. clutching, gauges, etc

Should be a fun thread with all of the knowledgable guys on here.
Rated X Turbos.....watch for these guys!!

Premium Features