• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

800R meltdown need advice and cylinder

X
Mar 20, 2009
spokane
Hi guys and gals

I have a 07 rev with the 800R it appears it wasnt getting any oil. The pistons and cylinders are scored. I need a new cylinder but also what else do I need to check on my motor. The piston pin was a little tough to get out which got me thinking maybe I need to check other items before reassembly. Thanks for the help and if anyone knows of a good cylinder please let me know.

S

SUMMITREV

Oct 24, 2008
Baker, OR
My guess would be that it seized? If so the piston pine being tough to get out is normal as they very slightly bend, can't see it but with the tight clearances it is just enough to make it very difficult to come out. Do you know that yours has the updated crank? I would check that everything feels good as far as crank and connecting rod bearings and get new pistons (SKIDOO) and replate cylinder. I would go with us Chrome they do awsome work are very good priced fast shipping and fast on the core refund. Dealt with them multiple times this last year. As far as lack of oil, were you running non ethenol? The new ethenol fuel is just bad all the way around for high performance engines and especially the way are sleds are seasonal use. I have seen ethenol break down in only a week in a lownmower. The other thing skidoo does have problems with their rings flaking causing it to start taking out the cylinder. This is not every sled and normally last tell around 2000 miles. I still recomend skidoo pistons. Weisco pistons have had lots of problems with then tend to heat and swell faster then the cylinder does causing it to appear to cold sieze. Have had this happen with 2 sets of weiscos and then got skidoo pistons and no problems. Spi run fine but are made from weak material and the piston itself chips and ring pins are weak. Rk tek works very good also but cost more worth the money though. My opinion and many others will agree though the 07 and 08 are a ticking time bomb even with the update. I only bought my 08 because it was so cheap I can buy a whole new motor and it is still cheaper than retail on it.
If it was me I would get spi pistons and get it running and sell it next fall and find a good real on xp, otherwise get rk tek kit it skidoo pistons. If you have any other questions feel free to pm me.

X
Mar 20, 2009
spokane
800r

So the deal was I had my zx 800Ho sled catch on fire but the motor was good so I found this 07 rev 800r with a bad motor. It has had an 09 800r put in it with only 300 miles on it replaced under warranty from the factory. So I was going to put my 800HO in but figured I should tear down the 800R first and decide which route was better. So this at least has the 09 motor which is a good thing and it is my backup sled I have an XP so mostly my wife and friends will ride the rev.

Everything else is in great shape that I can see but I need to figure out how to check the oil pump and make sure it is putting oil in. The oil tank was totally full so I dont think it had been using any. I will have to mix the first tankfull to make sure there is oil in it once it is back together then I figure I can see if the pump is putting any through. One ring is in good shape but that cylinder and piston are scored. The other ring has an small area of wear and rubbing and that cylinder and piston are much worse. Which had the hard to get out pin and was on the rope pull side of the motor.

Again thanks for all the help.:face-icon-small-ton

S

SUMMITREV

Oct 24, 2008
Baker, OR
Gotcha. To test the oiler just unbolt it and stick a chunk a little 2" piece of fuel line on the drive of the oil pump now put a bolt in a drill and push the fuel line onto the bolt and run the drill at full speed. You will see oil come out. This is what I do to rrprime the oil pump to get air bubles out. I highly fought there is anything a matter with your oil pump. Just make sure that when you pull the throttle cable it is moving and the cable is not broke going to the oiler. Regardless of how one piston looks replace both pistons. A cylinder exchange will wwind up costing about 400 and around 180 each for pistons. Just make sure when going back together the arrow on pistons is pointing towards the exhaust side. This positions the ring end gap on the intake side. You will also have to set your ring end gap to at least .018"

Premium Features