• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

GT2876 Test result

E
Jul 9, 2002
Omak, WA
The thing I remember when I went from the 2860 to 2876 was when on and off the throttle in the trees the 76 was more linear. The 60 spooled fast, but it had to spool to make power, more on and off. The 76 made boost earlier in the rpms didn't get the "hit" the 2860 did. I think there was a hit because the 60 had to spin up to flow air, where the 76 could flow air at lower turbine speeds. The 2860 had more turbine sound.....it was working harder. It was a little deceiving, but having to add weight to my heavy hitters told me the 76 was making more power. 13lbs at 6k feet though.

7-8lbs at 10k feet? That's for Sallys...turn up the boost and use your sled to replace a gym workout!

B

Boyko

Nov 27, 2007
Alberta
Here's an overlay of the 2860 and new X2863:
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=274719

Looks like there will be a GTX2867 also.
Map:http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=274722

Looks like the turbine housing is sold separately.

According to this map it looks like the 2860 will spool faster (lowest blue line), it should be more efficient @ lower boost. Bullet wheel are great for durability and can really put out high boost numbers the gtx map is saying 42psi the 2860 is at 22psi. Really world testing is needed. At low boost (12psi) the two turbos are close the gtx is not really flowing more air.

GTX.jpg

Last edited:

brycter

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
West Haven, Utah
www.turboboys.net
I do like the anti surge housing. It will help with turbo stall for on and off throttle.

yes most billet wheels are used for high boost levels.

We have ours ordered and will be runninng it shortly. If any one else wants one you need to get on the waiting list. call for costs.

There is a few things We are excited to see=

What is the weight of the wheel? of it is %grams lighter that would help with spool up.

What is the cut on the wheel? hatch or linear

What is the tolerence against the housing? with billet wheels you can get these tighther

Have they opened the blades a bit more at the tips? to help gulp more air?

Some cool things for sure and should help the guy that ride 8000 and above.

B

Boyko

Nov 27, 2007
Alberta
borgwarner-efr-6258-turbo-content-10.jpg

http://www.full-race.com/store/turbos/borgwarner-efr/borgwarner-efr-6258-turbo.html

http://www.full-race.com/store/turbos/borgwarner-efr/borgwarner-efr-6758-turbo.html

I would like to take one of these for a spin in a 2-smoker. I do not know if borgwarner BS the numbers on it a little but man it sure seems to have wicked aerodynamics, it takes a garrett about 10mm bigger to flow the same air charge!

The turbine is 58mm .64ar and should be just a snich tighter than the 28 series garretts we all love.

The Gamma-Ti Turbine kind of scares me a little sounds like it is pretty tender, you have to heat cycle it at idle a few times. I got one on a 4 stroke and was told not to rev it at all until it is broke in or the turbine will snap off :face-icon-small-sho The cost was around 1350 plus shipping. If anything this series of turbos should bring the cost of the garretts down:face-icon-small-ton

Last edited:

turbo800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Northern,UT
As a machinist, that Billet compressor wheel gives me a chubb....plus titanium turbine wheels. These are bad a$$ to watch run...

Its interesting they are comparing their 6258 to the 2871 not the 2860 which its closer matched up to.....could be interesting!

Last edited:

turbo800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Northern,UT
So I got to try my hybrid out Saturday. It has a 60/78mm compressor wheel, pretty comparable to a 2876, identical turbine. It comes on sooner and quicker than my comparable 2860, but flat lines and is only making 7 lbs on boost. I normally run 10. I checked all my connections, but couldn't find a leak. The only other thing I changed was I softened up the preload spring on the Greddy BOV. Think it might be leaking on me, dunno. Its running a bit rich in the mid range @ 8000' (time to drop the needle), so I might not be getting all my exhaust volume either.

U
Ya my 2876 was richer in the mid too. Have you checked your carb boots and exhuast flanges? I really wish someone would come up with a new carb boot. I tried the crankshop ones but they don't fit worth a crap.

I ran my 2871 again this weekend...its a ripper. My buddies T-XP with the 2860 has slightly better bottom end than my 2871 but we are really splitting hairs now. Both pull awesome and have great response. If I was to start over today...I think I would get the 2860 or new gtx2863.

T

taylorbok

Nov 10, 2008
I have a 2871 with billet wheel, my buddy has a 2860 on his cat, my 71 seems to come on just as fast, I am running about 6 psi and he is about 8, power seems similar, I am gonna try and turn it up to 10 or so this next trip.

E
Jul 9, 2002
Omak, WA
So I got to try my hybrid out Saturday. It has a 60/78mm compressor wheel, pretty comparable to a 2876, identical turbine. It comes on sooner and quicker than my comparable 2860, but flat lines and is only making 7 lbs on boost. I normally run 10. I checked all my connections, but couldn't find a leak. The only other thing I changed was I softened up the preload spring on the Greddy BOV. Think it might be leaking on me, dunno. Its running a bit rich in the mid range @ 8000' (time to drop the needle), so I might not be getting all my exhaust volume either.

Tell us more about this turbo.....

G
Apr 23, 2008
the hybrid wheel turbos with their large exducers flow well at low boost but get kicked to the curb by the gtx above 1.6 p/r.. ie.

the 3582 is awesome,,the 3586 forced perf unit lost power over 1.8 p/r.
sux to spend on sexy billet to loose to good old cast...
it looks all good on paper but reality is the great equalizer..

the gtx is another beast,, we gained power from 1.4 to 2.6 p/r,,love them garretts

Gus

turbo800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Northern,UT
Tell us more about this turbo.....

Well, I had a spare CHRA kicking around with some damaged wheels. The Mitsu Evo III is sized fairly close to a 2860. Alot of the parts are interchangeable, so I machined the center section to fit the larger compressor. New housings, turbine, wastegate and a fresh rebuild and boom, 2876 sized hybrid.

IMAG0115.jpg IMAG0116.jpg IMAG0118.jpg IMAG0126.jpg

Last edited:
Premium Features