• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2012 Proclimb M153 on the scales (pic) 11lbs over the 11

av8er

Lifetime Membership
Sep 16, 2006
Kalispell, MT.
that's alot of weight for a 2012 pro rmk is 431 lbs

why is it so hard for arctic cat to put their sled on a diet they should be about 435 lbs to be head to head with Polaris's sled technology. don't get me wrong I've been a hard core arctic cat guy from day 1. but it chaps my azz when polaris comes out with a new chassis at 431lbs and arctic cat comes out with a new chassis at 490 friggin lbs. I think they missed the boat!!!

XFIRE800

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2009
Aberdeen, SD
why is it so hard for arctic cat to put their sled on a diet they should be about 435 lbs to be head to head with Polaris's sled technology. don't get me wrong I've been a hard core arctic cat guy from day 1. but it chaps my azz when polaris comes out with a new chassis at 431lbs and arctic cat comes out with a new chassis at 490 friggin lbs. I think they missed the boat!!!

Thats wet w/ no gas, but still...

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
They should hang the pro rmk in the background on the same scale. I am truly surprised that it is that much heavier than the polaris. Where is that weight? 60lbs is alot. I know my 1100t is going to be heavy but I don't understand why the 800 is this heavy? Heck the darn thing has float floats all around. I guess I would have to see this on a scale I trust to fully beleive it.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
What about oil, did you drain all the gas, they come with some in the tank.

If you want a 430lb sled then buy a pro, If you stuck a cat 800 in a pro it would weigh more and the cat 800 would tear it apart eventually. Cat has built near turbo ready sleds for how many years and probably made it even better. I have yet to ride one but if it handles right I will take the heavy bastard any day over a poo 800. It will be easy to drop 20lbs on this sled and not hard to get more weight off. Wait a little while before you start B1tchin about something hardly any of us has experience with. Remember the whole sled was built to hold up to a the T1100 and all its torque, the 800 is going to be one of the stoutest sleds out there IMO.

BTW, you still can't pack 430lbs on your back when the pro pops a engine.

Last edited:

Jeff C

Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Mahtomedi, MN
For the life of me, I can't understand this obsession with weight. "This sled weighs more than last years sled!........... My mangina cannot handle an extra dozen pounds" That seems to be the sentiment of some on here...

A sub 500# sled will do very well in whatever situation you find yourself in.

If you think Arctic Cat just decided, "Heck, lets not worry about weight, lets design this thing the way we want, to heck with the weight", I think you are missing the bigger picture.

Could it be that the Cat engineers wanted this new chassis to have running boards that do not flex 3" when you put your feet on them?

Could it be that the engineers initially design this sled to be in the 430 pound range and found that it crinkled up like a piece of tin foil from atop of a thanksgiving turkey fresh out of the oven?

Could it be that the engineers wanted to have a design that stands up to time?

Could it be that the engineers designed a chassis that will be revolutionary and people will have so much fun on it, that they will not notice the weight? Or care for that matter?

When I took the 1100T for a test ride, I could not really feel the weight over my old 99'X (Dry weight of 496 pounds by the way) It was nimble, felt light, and handled like no other sled I have ever ridden on how it soaked up huge bumps and dips.

Apparently there is a price to pay for this, and that is weight.......

There are alot of you people complaining about the weight of the sled, that weigh 250+ yourselves.

Maybe over time, Cat will look at warranty issues (Or lack thereof) with the chassis and ratchet back the weight in areas that are smart for the company and the consumer.

Wyoboy hit it right on the head. This chassis needed to be tough enough to handle the torque of the 1100T. I predict that all manufacturers will have turbo four stroke sleds, and still want one chassis for all powerplants. This will be the trade-off in the future, and it is the trade off presently with Cat.

Heck, if you don't like the weight, you have other choices....... Go that way then!

Last edited:
T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
For the life of me, I can't understand this obsession with weight. "This sled weighs more than last years sled!........... My mangina cannot handle an extra dozen pounds" That seems to be the sentiment of some on here...

A sub 500# sled will do very well in whatever situation you find yourself in.

If you think Arctic Cat just decided, "Heck, lets not worry about weight, lets design this thing the way we want, to heck with the weight", I think you are missing the bigger picture.

Could it be that the Cat engineers wanted this new chassis to have running boards that do not flex 3" when you put your feet on them?

Could it be that the engineers initially design this sled to be in the 430 pound range and found that it crinkled up like a piece of tin foil from atop of a thanksgiving turkey fresh out of the oven?

Could it be that the engineers wanted to have a design that stands up to time?

Could it be that the engineers designed a chassis that will be revolutionary and people will have so much fun on it, that they will not notice the weight? Or care for that matter?

When I took the 1100T for a test ride, I could not really feel the weight over my old 99'X (Dry weight of 496 pounds by the way) It was nimble, felt light, and handled like no other sled I have ever ridden on how it soaked up huge bumps and dips.

Apparently there is a price to pay for this, and that is weight.......

There are alot of you people complaining about the weight of the sled, that weigh 250+ yourselves.

Maybe over time, Cat will look at warranty issues (Or lack thereof) with the chassis and ratchet back the weight in areas that are smart for the company and the consumer.

Wyoboy hit it right on the head. This chassis needed to be tough enough to handle the torque of the 1100T. I predict that all manufacturers will have turbo four stroke sleds, and still want one chassis for all powerplants. This will be the trade-off in the future, and it is the trade off presently with Cat.

Heck, if you don't like the weight, you have other choices....... Go that way then!

Totally agree. I better just turn the wick up on the 1100 t i guess.

L
Jun 8, 2011
when i rode it, it felt lighter then my 2010 m8, handled super nice.....but thats just me. that was in late june as well, so i can imagine in some decent pow this thing is gonna kill it!!!!!

i was stoked on how lite the pro was till i grabbed the back bumper and twisted it like a fat girls nipple......ill take a few extra lbs for something that can take a beating......

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO

This was weighed by VOHK, up the road from me, weighed right out of the crate, compared to an 11 right out of the crate from last year.

Not gonna get much more apples to apples than that.

Btw to those who think weight doesn't matter... you need to hop on a lightweight sled... it's a huge factor. 11 lbs... no, it doesn't matter much, but it just means you're staring 11 lbs further behind than last year, and no matter how you try to shine that turd, it still means we went backwards.

I can make a lightweight sled that's stronger than stock EASY, they're just not focusing on it as an issue obviously.

Still gonna be a great sled, just gonna cost 1000 more to get it to where you want it!!

clutch

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Big Horns Wyoming
Pretty sure the polaris is quoted as DRY weight, not crate weight. So add coolant, oil and shock fluid, brake fluid or whatever to that figure. It's all a play on words, and polaris makes the dry weight sound better.:face-icon-small-dis

J

Jester1

Sep 30, 2008
Ottawa, Ontario
I beleive that the Polaris last year was 19-24 pounds(depending on what sled and shock package) lighter than the 11 when weighed like this. You are now talking roughly 30 pounds difference. Drop the muffler weight and now it is 15 and there are other points to take some weight so not much really. Is there a reason that it is more. Likely in the design and where the weight of the inpacts are placed need to be thicker to be truly more rigid. For me this is fine as I ride trail mostly but for a high timer like most on here it can make it harder between the trees. We'll know once snow flies and the trees are ridable.

Jester

S
Oct 29, 2008
Pretty sure the polaris is quoted as DRY weight, not crate weight. So add coolant, oil and shock fluid, brake fluid or whatever to that figure. It's all a play on words, and polaris makes the dry weight sound better.:face-icon-small-dis

That is exactly how the polaris come from the crate. Same with ski doo. Cat comes with the same fluids as the rest of them. Just saying

A

ACMtnCat

Nov 26, 2007
Utah

I thought I saw Pro's weighing in at 448lbs with basic fluids not 430. Kinda like Skidoo saying 439 and they actually weighed 456-458lbs.

A

ACMtnCat

Nov 26, 2007
Utah
Last edited:
S

SSWIM

Nov 19, 2001
Grand Junction, Colorado

If you want a 430lb sled then buy a pro, If you stuck a cat 800 in a pro it would weigh more and the cat 800 would tear it apart eventually. Cat has built near turbo ready sleds for how many years and probably made it even better. I have yet to ride one but if it handles right I will take the heavy bastard any day over a poo 800. It will be easy to drop 20lbs on this sled and not hard to get more weight off. Wait a little while before you start B1tchin about something hardly any of us has experience with. Remember the whole sled was built to hold up to a the T1100 and all its torque, the 800 is going to be one of the stoutest sleds out there IMO.

BTW, you still can't pack 430lbs on your back when the pro pops a engine.

I think the point here is weight. And the weight of the Pro is substantially lighter, and very noticeable. BTW, the Pros have a much better track record than the Dragons did.

BTW, I am not brand loyal. I own a Pro, but also have a new AC Proclimb sitting at the dealer right now. I am dissapointed the AC is at the weight it is, but I am sure it will still be a great sled. Bottom line, if it were 30-40lbs lighter it would be awesome.

Sam

Last edited:

polarisfornow

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jun 2, 2008
Beautiful Colorado
agreed... the pros were not 431 out of the crate... more like 450 with basic essential fluids... which is more in line with the riding weight.

Remember that dry weight is literally the weight of every part in the build list put on a scale individually and then totaled up. with no fluid ever touching any of the parts.... completely impossible to replicate after the sled has been together even if you tried to drain all the fluids...

In closing... dry weight is pointless!

Premium Features