• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2010 M8 oil tank warpage

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
How many of you 2010 owners are seeing warping of the tank neck?

I have applied reflective tape to the right side of the tank and it still warps in the neck area. I don't overly tighten or cross-thread the cap either.

Another observation - the neck area has two thick seams. The front seam is very thick, like 9/32" from inside of tank to outside of threads. Is this the way all the 2010 tanks are? My buddies 2009 hardly has any seam thickness at all.

M
Nov 26, 2007
There is someone on here that makes an aluminum deal that fits in the neck of the oil tank to keep it from warping. Can't remember who???? Maybe someone will chime in with his name, or do a search on oil tank and you should find it.

I have read some people heating up the oil tank neck and reform it, using the deal mentioned above.

EDIT

http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=199172&highlight=oil+tank

Last edited:

offroadmatt

Lifetime Membership
Feb 16, 2008
Sweetwater, CO
His name is DAN03REV on here, sells them for like $15 shipped.

Had one in my new tank all year so far without any problems on a 07 M8. I did clean up the seams on the threads and on the inside so the insert would fit.

Oh yeah and good luck getting the torx bolts that hold the tank on out. Cat was so smart here that they even put loctite on them.

D

DAN03REV

Oct 20, 2008
ALGONA, IOWA
hey guys ... Coldfinger mentioned the seams from the molding process were a bit thick on his sled .. noticed one reservoir at the dealer looked the same .. here is my suggestion .. take a hot blade and press the seam flat so insert will install easier .. or use hot blade to shave away some of the excess plastic .. guys are having to do the same on a SKIDOO REV chassis .. some are just chipping away excess plastic with a utility knife .. simply heating the blade prior to doing this so the cut will be cleaner and easier .. removal of 1/16" on each side is all is needed at most .. 9 of 10 guys are not having to remove any plastic .. inserts are made to be a tight fit, so be careful removing any plastic from reservoir opening top edge .. insert will come with an o-ring for a tight seal .. email if interested in ordering .. i have many aluminum tank inserts in stock .. ship daily

Last edited:
S
Feb 12, 2008
Soap Lake, WA
Whats your email? I need one since I'm on my 3rd bottle already and its warping now too. Its been a real pain in the neck and its been an added expense.
Cat should send 1 to every buyer! At the Least!

Last edited:
R

RKT

Jul 19, 2001
Preston, Idaho
www.2strokeheads.com
I got the oil tank insert and it lots like it is going to work awesome and for the price you can't beat it!!!!!!! Thanks a lot!!!!!

We will have our "fix" for this oil tank issue on display at the Denver Snow Show... Come check it out..

We will also be unveiling another awesome product for both Cat and Doo .. if we get them finished by then..
In any case, please come visit at the Denver Show..

Kelsey

D

DAN03REV

Oct 20, 2008
ALGONA, IOWA
I got the oil tank insert and it lots like it is going to work awesome and for the price you can't beat it!!!!!!! Thanks a lot!!!!!

:thumb: .. multiple orders coming in daily .. parts going out same day if not the next .. guys in CANADA are receiving orders within 2 weeks of delivery ..

oldcrow

Lifetime Membership
Dec 13, 2007
Central MN
AC 2011 tanks have a new part number and a much cleaner filler neck.
The seam is trimmed and the neck now fits into the cap recess like it should.

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
So the 2011 tanks look just like the 2010 units but the thick seams in the neck area have been reduced/eliminated, right?

I'm just curious because I was leary about shaving down the thick seam for fear of compromising the structural integrity of the filler neck area/seams. Didn't want to split a seam.

C

coolx2

Nov 29, 2007
Was looking at an 2011 hcr today. They have a heat sheild around the oil tank filler neck now.

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
Are the 2011 heat shields diff than the 2010 M sled shields? If not, then they probably won't do much better.

Maybe sleds that aren't ridden in deep powder don't have as much heat under the hoods because the vents don't get plugged with snow, therefore maybe they don't have as much warpage.

waycooljr

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2010
Sidney, MT
I get the idea of what is taking place, but does anyone have any finished pics of the oil tank with the insert in it? Sometimes I like to see, before I order!!!! Thanks!!

D

DAN03REV

Oct 20, 2008
ALGONA, IOWA
I get the idea of what is taking place, but does anyone have any finished pics of the oil tank with the insert in it? Sometimes I like to see, before I order!!!! Thanks!!

i am gonna try to get to local dealer this week to put one in a new sled .. will take pics to post up ..

D

DAN03REV

Oct 20, 2008
ALGONA, IOWA
waiting on an order of o-rings to show on the UPS truck .. thank you guys for preseason business .. my distributors across North America have kits on the shelf .. let it snow !!!

D

DAN03REV

Oct 20, 2008
ALGONA, IOWA
sleeves for Arctic Cat now have a thinner flange and shortened in length .. this will allow oil cap to be turned a bit more ..

Premium Features