• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

turbo xp is runing badass!!!

B

badass1000

Nov 27, 2007
Meridian, ID
Ok, thanks. Never ran the Tial BOV because it would never open from the spring tension. I will cut down that spring and hook it up.:cool:

I will send you a pm. I just found a place that makes a 3 psi spring for the tial. It is not listed on tials website, but found a place selling one and claims it is genuine tial.

Might try one. Sucks to pay the $29 plus shiping. Only thing I do not like about the cut down spring is now that end of the spring pushes at a angle and may make the spring bend at a angle when compresed putting a side load on the diaphram/piston assembly in the bov. their is a rod and tube setup in the bov to keep it sliding perfectly strait in and out. just thought maybee it may not slide in and out the same every time with a side load on it instead of perfect strait up and down. It seems to be working fine. I am just really picky and always thinking about little **** like that.

Last edited:
B

badass1000

Nov 27, 2007
Meridian, ID
cut and paste from earlier post.

"Got the sled all fixed up and rode all day today. tried turning the air/fuel screws in another 1/4 turn (3/4 turn out now) and didn't seem to make a whole lot of difference. may try next size smaller pilot and turn screws out to 1 1/2 turns. if I let the sled idle down hill for a long time it loads up a little, but clears out in a couple seconds. if I blip the throttle a few times down hill it does not do it. sled works good and runs fine if I ride it and work the throttle correctly. Just trying to get it to work perfect all the time."

I still have it this way. Just riding it as is for now. Sled runs great. Only a problem if I let it idle down hill for a long time without bliping the throttle. Riding tomarrow, and probably sat, and sun. It runs fine as long as I blip the throttle a few times and do not let it idle for a long time.
I had the cap fall off of one of the air/fuel adjuster screws and new one should be here tomarrow. it is a pain to adjust the screws especially with the knob off while the carbs are on the sled. so I will wait untill I have the new one to put on and then pull the carbs and put new pilots in and white knob for air/fuel screws.
waiting to hear feedback from canucklehead on how his runs without the power valves before I block mine open. Also he said his went way leaner at idle by blocking the power valves open. So I am waiting to change pilot untill I hear his feedback also. May not need to change pilot if it is leaner with the power valves blocked open.

Last edited:
B

badass1000

Nov 27, 2007
Meridian, ID
sled ran great all day today. Only stoped to adjust power jets once from 4,800' to about 7,500' where I shut the power jets off. started at one turn open. I believe we got to about 8,500', but not sure how high we got in elevation. I will try to get what max elevation is tomarrow. It was fun at lower elevations just out of town because it got warm and the snow was really setup. Great traction and it was fun about wheelieng it over backwards on flat ground.
Snow is good up high, but unfortunatly not bottomless. A buddy that was up with us got some video of it runing. I got to see about getting it from him. xp 163 with slp pipe, head, and team secondary and complete team clutch kit makes it 3/4 up hill. 154 hillclimb xp makes it to same spot. I believe the 163 gave it one more try and made it just as high as before. then the 163 xp track poaches all the way up where they came down and makes it over the top. I gave him a bit of a head start. I started in fresh snow and did not pin it untill I started going up. No run at it. I didn't catch him by the top, but I was pulling on him pretty good and I was in fresh snow the whole way. My turbo xp is a 154. Made it up easily with lots of ground speed at the top. it may take awhile to get the video because it is someone I only see a few times a year sledding.
sled climbed anything I pointed it up today. takes some getting used to trying to lean as much over the front as posible while it wants to point strait up on the steep stuff. Different learning how to steer it, lean, when it is pointed up that high. definatly gives the arms a workout.
will be riding the trinities out of prairie tomarrow and probably sun also.
Pray for more snow. :D

D
Oct 19, 2003
Rapid City, South Dakota
Now that you are getting it dialed in, turn up the boost and really give those arms a work out:eek:. It is tough riding them on the bars all day. Just wait until it sneaks out from under you:eek: Glad to hear it's all coming together for you:beer;.

Dave

B

badass1000

Nov 27, 2007
Meridian, ID
thank you dave. :beer; :cool:
Sled has ben runing great the last 3 days in the trinities. most riding above 8,000', alot over 9,000', and up to and over 9,500'. Start at 4,600 with the power jets one turn out and close them at 7,000' and don't touch them the rest of the day. Egt's were just down a little to mid 1,100's around 9,000'. So for optimal performance you could run 360's at that elevation and just open the power jets a little more down low. I am fine with sled runing perfect most of the day and egt's a little low, but still runing great at the highest elevations I ride at. Unfortunatly the loading up, bogging problem gets worse at the higher elevations. plan on putting the smaller pilots in this week and that should cure the problem. Sled still runs great just as mentioned it sputters for a few seconds if it has ben idleing for a long time. Hopeing to get better throttle responce with the smaller pilots. At lower elevations it feels way better then a stocker for instant throttle responce and mid range before the turbo starts to really come on. at elevation on and off the throttle and it runs perfect. Pin it and it feels like a stock sled, after a second it starts comeing on, and within two seconds it really takes off. If you are on and off the throttle in a climb or in some trees the power is instant. Must be the turbo already spooled and the bov doing its job.
Did lots of tight/steep tree riding the last 3 days. I think I took a few trees home with me. :D Ran over alot of trees, went through a few, and knocked the snow off a few. It is nice being able to go slower and pick the lines through the trees and knowing you have the power when you need it.

Last edited:
B

badass1000

Nov 27, 2007
Meridian, ID
man I need to get video. Maybee buy a video camera next week. Would like to get one of those little go pro cams I could mount to my sled or helmet to get video on sled while riding. No way a stocker is pulling me from a dead stop. (throttle responce).
Tight tree riding is no problem. Did 3 days of really tight/steep tree riding the last 3 days. Got stuck 3 times in 3 days. Once because I stoped where it was some what steep and thought I would be ok. Pined it to take off and I was stuck. Another I made it up through a spot barely big enough for the skiis to fit through the first time. Buddy got stuck so bad up in their we had to flip his sled over backwards to get it out of the trees he was stuck in. Every one else was stuck so I went down to get the other two unstuck so they could come help. Went to get up their again and got kicked to the side in my trench from the first time I went through. Tried to pull it back over and pin it and ski caught the tree. 3rd stuck was a really steep sidehill that 4 guys had already gone over and I slid out of a trench and it pointed me strait up hill. I kept it pined and got above the trenches, but it was solid trees above me. Let off and pulled the sled back down hill, but it was steep so when I went to take off again it just sank. I like it better in the trees then when it had the slp pipe and head because it has way more power. I can take my time and play around because I know when I pin that throttle it is going to go wherever it is pointed. Can slow down a little more and not have to keep the ground speed up so much. Others hate following me though because when I slow way down and then pin it like that it makes one hell of a trench.
runing 7lbs on pump 91 octane non ethanol fuel. 11 days of riding since I got it done day after christmas. compresion is still exactly the same as when I put the turbo kit on, cylinders, and pistons still look perfect too. Never any signs of detonation on plugs, or any other problems. Sled runs great. Can't wait to try 10lbs. Probably going to wait a few more weeks though. Waiting to hear feedback on some one about how his runs with power valves disabled. I want to block the power valves or do something else to hold the bellows together before I turn the boost up. Also going to get a set of the reed boot girdles before turning the boost up.
going to try smaller pilots and playing with the needles to get better throttle responce at 8,000' and above. At 6500' it stays right with a xp with slp pipe, head, and clutched for instant throttle responce from a dead start. That is way better then a stocker. Not sure if I will get out this week or have to wait untill the weekend to ride and test pilots, and needles.

B

badass1000

Nov 27, 2007
Meridian, ID
Another great day on the turbo xp. got a bunch of new snow here. pretty deep. I made changes to the pilot, needles, and mains. Definatly helped. No sputtering at all today except once in awhile on a hard right. I have one vent to the side of the turbo from before I put the turbo on and it has no prefilter material. Egts will drop all of a sudden to 400 and sled will sputter for awhile. Must be getting snow through the screen and into the turbo. A little too much water injection. :D Going out into the garage to fix that now and hopefully eliminate the problem for tomarrows ride.
Blew a belt today. pretty happy with over 850 miles on a 377. I was thinking of replaceing the last couple days anyways because it had ben on so long and was worn. stoped to put goggles under hood and cord was pulling so I put a new 377 on.
Got stuck on flat ground today. :) Stoped while trying to figure out where to make a creek crossing and went to take off and she just sank. It started acting like it was going to go and then just sank all of a sudden. Here are some pics of my turbo trench. :D

DSCN0321.jpg DSCN0323.jpg

Last edited:
J

jmoore

Dec 15, 2007
WYO
Get it!!

(No way a stocker is pulling me from a dead stop. (throttle responce).

Get that video camera and video you and a stock 09 or 2010 and I have $10 that he gets you by at least one length. I am not buying it!!! You can't make that statement until we see it!!!;)
Looks like you got some good snow this week. Thats awesome!!:beer;

B

badass1000

Nov 27, 2007
Meridian, ID
alright. :cool:
I want a video camera, but don't own one. Don't ever take one with us when we ride either. One guy happened to film me and the 163xp runing each other. got to see if I can get the video some how.
Stock xp ****..... I don't know any one with a stock xp. lol... I know one guy, but he never rides. Called him to see if he wants to ride tomarrow and he has not called back. He always says to call him and he never goes. :rolleyes: Guess I will have to find a inocent bystander to grab for the comparison.
I should get some extra money from a job this week and am thinking of buying one of those go pro cams. It has a 170 wide lens so we can get the side by side comparison very good. My uncle and cousin put them on the front of their drag sleds and it is pretty cool to see how the sleds compare when runing down the track. I will just have to mount one to the back of my sled. :D Hopefully have it next weekend. Then I will have to figure out how to post it to the net. I have never done that before. Heck.. I have ben drag raceing my turbo, supercharged, and nitrous street bikes for a long time now and the only pics and video I have I get once in awhile from others.
Glad we finally got some pretty good snow. Can't wait for more. Their is never too much. I love the days when no one goes and we are the only ones breaking trail the whole way. Never see any one else all day. :cool:
3 feet a day sounds great too me. :D

B

badass1000

Nov 27, 2007
Meridian, ID
I will check into the vholdr. I have lots of friends that have used the go pro's though and liked them. Plus I know I can get them from a buddys shop that gives me great deals. Moto one in meridian. Corner of fairview and main. :D
I got prefilter on the side vent last night and sled ran great all day today. Plenty of over the hood and lay it on its side in the pow right hand sidehills with no problems. Sled ran great all day.
Going to change the oil tank though. It is holding up fine, but it is leaking from I believe the gasket on the bottom of the turbo to oil tank connection. Need to pull it apart and look at it. Think I am going to make a different tank this week that will mount on the bottom of the engine compartment against the frameing. Connect the turbo and tank with a hose. Probably put a check valve in the hose between the turbo and tank so oil does not backup in turbo when rolling the sled. The vented cap I have is supposubly gauranteed not to leak, but it does. I will bench test to see if it leaks when up side down. I know it leaks from oil sloshing up against it when riding. Maybee have to put a different sealed cap on and a vent hose with check valve. I don't like the tank leaking oil and oil getting in the turbo when I roll it. Intake and turbo stay perfectly clean as far as I can tell untill I roll the sled. Then their is oil in the turbo and pipeing to the carbs.

D
Oct 19, 2003
Rapid City, South Dakota
The compressor side is internally vented so when it goes over the oil will drool into the compressor side and then up the charge tube. This is why I don't mess around with the anti roll over vents anymore. Using a low pressure pump, then no vent is needed. Glad to hear it's working good.

Dave

B

badass1000

Nov 27, 2007
Meridian, ID
Their has to be a build up of oil to get past the seals in the turbo. if the oil does not go up into the turbo from the oil tank when the sled is rolled their should be no oil getting into the compressor. I could see a small amount posible, but not nearly as much as with no check valves or any sort of way of preventing oil from getting back up in the turbo when you roll it. I ran my sled for 3 days and the inside of the turbo, all the pipeing, and every thing was perfectly clean. Roll it once and the turbo and all the pipeing has oil in it.
I run the same 4-7psi pump that every one else does. Presure should have nothing to do with it though as long as the turbo has a good drain. I run over 80 psi of oil presure to the ball bearing and journal bearing turbos on my street/drag bikes. They never smoke or get oil in the compresor. only time I ever got oil in the compressor was I had the back of the bike up high on a stand so the turbo was below the oil level of the engine and oil backed up into the turbo.
I would like it if the tank did not leak oil all over the inside of the engine compartment, leak oil when I roll it, and not get oil in the turbo and charge pipe. I guess I will give it a shot and see what happens. I have several ideas.
Maybee I will try runing the oil system without a vent and just a way to get oil from backing up in the turbo when I roll it. That would be nice to not have to worry about a vent.
Luckily I have the led light for the oil pump presure. It has already saved me several times when the tank got low on oil from leaking or backing up into the turbo when I roll it. If the light is on solid I know I got problems.
I am glad it is working good too. :D

B

badass1000

Nov 27, 2007
Meridian, ID
well.... Not a great day.
was going to build a new oil tank today that did not mount to the turbo and would not back oil up into the turbo when rolling it. Didn't quite have all the stuff to do it the way I wanted so I will wait untill next week or the week after to make a new tank. Just made a new adapter for the one I had.
My tank broke where it threaded into the adapter in the first place. Made the tank neck where it threaded into adapter stronger and now the adapter broke. Now made alot stronger adapter but am tired of playing around and will mount the tank to the sled and attach to the turbo with a hose.
My drivers have ben slipping the last couple weeks so I just tightened adjusters one turn untill it quite ratchiting. It still slips a little here and their like it is just skiping one tooth and not totally sliping. Went to load the sled and the track will just drag and not turn when pulling it across the concret. track is tight as hell and will not hardly turn because it is so tight. Looked up at the drivers and they are destroyed. Drivers were new stock drivers before I put the turbo on.
Going to call avid on monday to see about getting some new drivers. Ask them if they think that will work of if I should fully clip my track or maybee get a different fully cliped track.
I guess I will just have to watch it and baby the sled this weekend.

Premium Features