• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

XR 4-stroke 1200 TURBOS!

P

powderlites

Nov 26, 2007
Sicamous, BC Canada
www.powderlites.com
Skidoo 1200 Turbos

Thanks Skydog!! Wishy Washy! I don't give out turbo kits to anyone and glad I didn't consider it with you.
You have proven you are not professional and always bashing RB3 or PowderLites.
Maybe you failed at your homebuilt better then anyone else turbo kit so step up and be honest on here.
Just go buy a Autotune and make yourself happy!
I do take pride in our products and always do our best to make customers happy.

J

jvb

Nov 26, 2007
PC V does have timing control. PC3 even has it. PC V with auto tune is 500 dollars. Rapidbike with tuning bike is around 4700 dollars.

SO take out the tuning bike and rb3 is what $600-700. Its not like you have to have the tuner bike if you got rb3. You guys make it sound like you have to bust out a laptop on the mountain every time you stop which is far from the truth. We mess with it sometimes when we get home from riding trying to make the maps better. Sometimes we don't mess with it all. As Far as the PC V it seems like a cool product. There is always gonna something that may be better out there. I looked at it at the puyallup snow show. The screen is way small, there is now way you are gonna read that under some boost. I'm lucky to see the boost and af gauge. We will see whose kits works best this year. I don't think any of the builders had many kits on the snow a whole lot last year. Like Brycter said everyone has different expectations and wants from there kit. We need some snow.

W

Washy

Feb 14, 2008
Langdon
Thanks Skydog!! Wishy Washy! I don't give out turbo kits to anyone and glad I didn't consider it with you.
You have proven you are not professional and always bashing RB3 or PowderLites.
Maybe you failed at your homebuilt better then anyone else turbo kit so step up and be honest on here.
Just go buy a Autotune and make yourself happy!
I do take pride in our products and always do our best to make customers happy.

I think you have me confused with someone else??? Give me a kit??? I have had my MCX before you even came out with a Nytro kit. I have never built any turbo kit for any sled????? I run Power commander stuff on my MCXpress (which last time I checked was built in Sweden) other than that...Professional has nothing to do with it, I dont even run/own a business, I am a Gas Plant Operator.

Last edited:
P

powderlites

Nov 26, 2007
Sicamous, BC Canada
www.powderlites.com
Turbo Skidoo 1200

Washy Sorry as by your PM it wasn't you trying to get a turbo kit out of us.
I want to make it public and to say sorry.
Hope to work with you one day and I get a lot of guys that think there are the best rider etc. and expect a turbo kit deal of a life time.
We don't give out turbo kits to advertize our products!
Not a good policy in the long run.
I have taken a lot of bashing for not selling Skidoo turbo kits early but we really want all the bugs worked out before season starts.
I just got back from sled show in Toronto and must say turbo kits are hard sell there because of so many laws and no money.
We have Rapid Bike working very well for Skidoo and always improving our products.
The plan will be to get a very good map for running different boost levels and at different altitude so just turn key anbd ride.
Since last season we have had Rapid Bike Italy over and helping train us on how to use and develop new products.
Should be a great season and we will have some awsome running sleds.

1500psi

Lifetime Membership
Feb 11, 2008
PC V does have timing control. PC3 even has it. PC V with auto tune is 500 dollars. Rapidbike with tuning bike is around 4700 dollars.

Yes, what I am looking for is peoples experiences with the 1200 and a turbo, I was asking what makes PL the best compared to for example MCXpress and the other kits, not just because you bought the kit, Skydog did you ever ride/compare any kits before you got a PL kit?

Well i spoke with jeremy barnes from slp for awhile at puyullup this weekend and asked him point blank if it controlled timing he said NO! i finished up the conversation with him telling him slp had horrible customer service communication last year so he gave me his card so i just called him just now to re ask him about the timing issue and of course no one answers at slp... HAS ANYONE ON THIS FORUM EVER CALLED POWDERLITES EVEN ONE TIME AND NO ONE ANSWER? I Will tell you one thing i have spent alot of time at powderlites in the shop and when the phone rings they drop everything and run for the phone.

M
Nov 26, 2007
Crested Butte, CO
So far, my experience has been that Powderlites guys have answered the phone every time, and never appeared rushed. That said, Bryce & Kesey at Turbo Performance have been right on it as well - they return phone calls and PM's very quickly and thoroughly. Hurricane Performance is very good at followup IMO as well.

Seems like both outfits have a tiger by the tail, and are putting in the effort to make things work well for the customers. I don't have any experience w/ MCX or FPP to share.

MtnDoo

W

Washy

Feb 14, 2008
Langdon
Well i spoke with jeremy barnes from slp for awhile at puyullup this weekend and asked him point blank if it controlled timing he said NO! i finished up the conversation with him telling him slp had horrible customer service communication last year so he gave me his card so i just called him just now to re ask him about the timing issue and of course no one answers at slp... HAS ANYONE ON THIS FORUM EVER CALLED POWDERLITES EVEN ONE TIME AND NO ONE ANSWER? I Will tell you one thing i have spent alot of time at powderlites in the shop and when the phone rings they drop everything and run for the phone.

Because I am a moron and assumed because there was timing control with the PCV & PC 111 on my Nytro that surely it would have it for the skidoo. I appologize for the missinformation I gave and edited my posts reflecting this. It does not have it YET. I just Phoned Power commander direct. That changes alot between PC and Rapidbike for the skidoo. Timing control is a huge asset.

Thanks Dave. Let me know how the Skidoo 4 stroke kit is working out later in the season.

Last edited:
T

tranquillicer

Nov 27, 2007
Sask. Canada
Busy...busy

I totally agree with 1500psi. I've had the oportunity to be in Dave's shop and I've seen how much effort goes into building these kits and I can only imagine how difficult it must be to try and be on the phone and computer continuously while at the same time trying to build kits. The turbo itself is one of the few items that are not cut, bent,welded etc. for each different sled and its not done by some robot in an enclosed room working 24-7.
Hats off to all you builders that put up with all of us wanna b guru's out here that can't help but phone or e-mail and talk sleds with you when your run off your feet as it is. Now...that being said...Hey Darren what about that EzRyde??? Keep up the good work...All of you!

U
Aug 5, 2009
LONGSLED
I will just tell you my turbo customer feeling....

last winter, I ran 5000 km with a FPP kit. I had a heap of problem which is now solved, but I sold this kit because it did not correspond so that I sought.

I had thus to decide to build my own kit because I had not found any commercial kit which had what I believed necessary to be reliable, until what powderlite kind their kit. Theoretically, they have all that it is necessary to solve the large panoply of problem lived with my detonation machine. I must however mention you that I ride 400ft from sea level, and it proves that it is a critical factor. believe me, 10 psi of boost At sea level is really not the same thing as 10 psi At 5000ft!

-ceramic headers will eliminate the phenomenal backpressure I had in the manifold
-ported wastegate will help flow pass through and remove backpressure and prevent deto
-I want a divorced downpipe for same reason
-I don't want to loose half of my hp on a lake when running more than 10 sec at WOT
-I don't want to run spatial fuel pressure like 110 psi anymore
-I don't want to have an extra fuel rail and extra injectors. more chance to fail
-I don't want to have an extra fuel pump that lead to have yellow head light and poor handwarmer (to much amp)
-I want bigger injector with stock fuel pressure (but it need a controller that can remove fuel when no boost)
-I want to have my rpm limiter increase. maybe this 1200 is a torque monster, but it's not a fast sled. we need more top speed to reach an apex. my max speed is 135 mph , and a apex ran easyly 15 mph faster for the same boost
-low compression engine make more hp, I did the test. So, the engine is smoother on low rpm, so I want to be able to change the timing to correct this. RB3 do it.
-I don't want to have my plenum explosed again. alu plenum will fix it.
-I don't want to run head shim and stock piston anymore. I bought JE low compression piston.

So, after looking at mcxpress and powderlite, I bought a powderlite for this year and asked to have a low elevation maping.

Maybe some problem will be found, but it's appear that I will have (theorically) all the chance on my side.

I destroyed several engine last year, and with the time and the money it take to repare, I don't want to re-open it many times this winter.

Last edited:
M
Nov 26, 2007
Crested Butte, CO
Underboost - thanks for sharing your experiences in detail!

This 1200 turbo kit market is still pretty young.

Lots of good info and press surrounding PL right now.

Turbo Performance & MCX seem to have nice stuff as well.

Good luck w/ your PL kit.

Best of luck,

MtnDoo

G
Nov 23, 2009
Here is pics of the 1200 Gristle Boyz built this year. This sled has a MCX turbo kit, Quantum tunnel, 174 camo x track, and M10 skid. We built a 162 last year with mcx and really like the kit. We used an mcx kit again this year because of still having a kit from last year. I do have a PL kit coming for the next build witch should be done end of december. I think this kit has more to offer, For one the PL has a more complete turbo kit all the guages and a good BOV and Boost controller are included. Ball bearing Garrett turbo is also an awsome bonus. I also like the fact that if i have any kit problems i can get replacement parts within a few days. Never know how long it would take to get parts from Sweden. Plus with the ability to run XP plastics on the 1200 xr chassis the pl kit will work awsome! Never know dave my just build a xp 1200 kit so it will be a direct bolt on along with headlight brackets for the xp headlights. Also the mcx kit uses the stock plastic air box for mounting headlights and after all the moddifieing you have to do to the box its pretty flimsy. Not sure how this will handle a tumble. PL has diffinatly proven there kits work.. I will be riding with Kyle from TSP this year with his Pl 1200... This will be the Head on testing needed to see the pros and cons of each kit. Im pretty sure we will find the pl kits are the better of the two.

14539_339347675413_584295413_9858429_4830710_n.jpg

Last edited:
T

turboxp

May 13, 2008
not where i sled
Boost

Heading out to give my 1200 a little bit of a face lift under the hood this week the guys at powder lite seem to be there to please.

S

skull

the Turbo performance kit just showed the idaho boyz how a sled should run. That baby is a bullet. Super clean setup and easy install. Call tyrell he will let you know. Stage two comes with header, coated pistons, turbo, fuel box, aluminum airbox, Just like you wanted UB. I have rode theirs and look out. I love it :rose:

R
Nov 26, 2007
If it is so great then why is it Yamaha is still the stick that everything is measured with? Bring it on boys can't wait for at least a little competition, it is getting boring at the top.:D Glad to hear you kit is working good PL, seen it first hand at Yama Fest and it was working really good.:beer;

P

powderlites

Nov 26, 2007
Sicamous, BC Canada
www.powderlites.com
Skidoo 1200 PowderLites Turbo

Well Paul there is a new sled waiting for ya!!
Powder Lites Turbo kit stage 2
Carbon Fiber chassis
174 X 16"X 3"
Ez-ryde
XP front end all in carbon fiber from C3 PowerSports
And the best part of this kit is the rider!! Kyle Micku will love to play with that old Apex I am sure!!
Boost for boost will not be even a race!
New higher Rev limiter coming very soon!!
www.powderlites.com

R
Nov 26, 2007
Huh????
It's a 174 with a 3" paddle....how's that a drag sled??????
Pretty sure he's talking about racing up a hill.
I know racing up a hill but it is usually a pretty tame hill. I am talking about climbing, and I say that we will still lay a whoopin on you guys. If this sled works any thing like the RB3 box worked last year then I don't think we have anything too worry about Dave. Talk is cheap in my books, and if I get beat then I will be the first to admit it. I just hate when you come on here Dave and spout off about all the great stuff you have and how it is going to beat everyone and you haven't even got all the bugs worked out yet. I guess that is for your customers too figure out. I guess I have talked the talk but I know that I will walk the walk, and this is in no way bashing Miku the guy is a great rider. I guess we will see what that old apex of mine still has in it, huh Dave?

Premium Features