• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Spot

summit800

Lifetime Membership
Jul 29, 2001
Graham, wa.
Just activated it today ,you can add up to 30 e-mail address , site is a little hard to understand ,as to how to fill out info, the box and videos ,make it look easy ,but I thought it was very confussing!!

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I think it only lets you use 10 in the check-in and 10 in the help.

zal

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northern Alberta and Northern BC
Yeah, but I'm wondering about the extra insurance in case you need help. Its $7.95 per person when you sign on. After that its $150. per person. Its underwritten by Llyods of London. Anyone use that extra insurance?

I recognize you know you have satellite reception, similar to a GPS, I think it would be a good feature for SPOT to work on receiving a text message from 911 or S&R with a status, I guess the uncertainty of the unknown would provide assurance that help is definitely on the way.

summit800

Lifetime Membership
Jul 29, 2001
Graham, wa.
I think I bought mine more for the people at home to no were ok , If I use the 911 ,I'd be still sending some one out for help if posible, the few time that I've heard of some one using it here in wa state has been very fast response time

M

mod03rmk800

Nov 26, 2007
missoula
I use mine also for the "tracking" function that I have given my websight to people like my wife to be able to see where I am at while out in the boonies. I plan if I ever push the 911 button to assume that it did not go through and/or the response will be a cluster **** at best. So I will also be trying to reach cell service as soon as possible leaving the spot with whoever is injured as it will continue with the gps coordinates to them. First button I will use will be the HELP as that goes to my friends and family that are capable to reach me/us faster than any search and rescue, then if life threatening also go with the 911 button. If things are dire and not being able to leave the injured than it is a leap of faith the rescuers will rapidly assemble and come. With all the uncertainty, I still think highly of the device and think it could be tweaked in the future to add a keypad of sorts with the ability to send/receive text messages. I would pay additional for that feature. I also really like the "realtime" tracking that others can see where I am at.
My use:
"Tracking"- for people to see where we are and for me to see later where I went
"OK"- things are all good
"Help"- Broke down/ hurt but not life threatening, round up the troops and come find us NOW
"911"- things are very bad

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
My use:
"Tracking"- for people to see where we are and for me to see later where I went
"OK"- things are all good
"Help"- Broke down/ hurt but not life threatening, round up the troops and come find us NOW
"911"- things are very bad

Exactly.

S
Nov 26, 2007
utah
If you have satalite connection the green lights will blink in sink , 99.3%
...you state 99.3%.....?.....of what?....the instruction manual says insync flashing means it has locked to a satelite and sent a message to the satelite, but did it go further?....did the command center get the message....and did anybody do anything about it?.....i used mine once, and it worked...got search and rescue there....but i never knew if they were coming until they showed up...we backed the spot up by sending extra riders back 30 miles...but we had no idea if they made it either....way better than nothing, especially if you are short of people with a serious situation....thanks to spot for working, but it would really take the pressure off to know that their command center had actually received the signal.....next generation spot, i hope...

rockdog2112

Lifetime Membership
Sep 13, 2008
Cheyenne,Wy USA
...you state 99.3%.....?.....of what?....the instruction manual says insync flashing means it has locked to a satelite and sent a message to the satelite, but did it go further?....did the command center get the message....and did anybody do anything about it?.....i used mine once, and it worked...got search and rescue there....but i never knew if they were coming until they showed up...we backed the spot up by sending extra riders back 30 miles...but we had no idea if they made it either....way better than nothing, especially if you are short of people with a serious situation....thanks to spot for working, but it would really take the pressure off to know that their command center had actually received the signal.....next generation spot, i hope...
I agree. I bought the SPOT with all the options and the OK option seems to work fine(it's the only one I have used). But if you do ever have to activate the 911 option, It would be great to have some kind of acknowledgement that assistance is on the way. It might make a bad situation easier to take. Hopefully that will happen with the gen 2 SPOTS. I'd sure upgrade.

rockdog2112

Lifetime Membership
Sep 13, 2008
Cheyenne,Wy USA
I have a question for the SPOT owners. How do you carry your's. I have the tracking feature and it's only going to work if you have a constant GPS link and I don't think that will happen with it in your jacket pocket. I wouldn't trust that clip without some kind of backup for fear it might come loose. I think it needs to be on your person in case you become separated from everything. Maybe on your pack straps but out open enough to be able to GPS link? Any other ideas?

I
Dec 14, 2001
Archer, Idaho
I have a SPOT and carry it my backpack. Have never used it, other than slyrydr, I have not seen many recounts of people that have used it, any other experiences good or bad? Thanx everyone.

Last edited:

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I have one. Don't leave it on unless I'm sending a message.
It's great for checking in so far. Haven't needed it for anything else.

You need a clear view of the sky, as you would ANY GPS (right?).
I shut it off. What if something in your pack pushed the help or 911?

plumnuts

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Right side of Washington
I have a question for the SPOT owners. How do you carry your's. I have the tracking feature and it's only going to work if you have a constant GPS link and I don't think that will happen with it in your jacket pocket. I wouldn't trust that clip without some kind of backup for fear it might come loose. I think it needs to be on your person in case you become separated from everything. Maybe on your pack straps but out open enough to be able to GPS link? Any other ideas?

had the same thought... so I through mine in my back pack, had it on tracking and went and rode the mountains... came home and checked the SPOT Web site and it had tracked my locations...

S

shortstop20

Nov 26, 2007
South Dakota
I have one. Don't leave it on unless I'm sending a message.
It's great for checking in so far. Haven't needed it for anything else.

You need a clear view of the sky, as you would ANY GPS (right?).
I shut it off. What if something in your pack pushed the help or 911?

Not sure about the help button but the 911 button has to be held down for either 3 or 5 seconds in order to be activated. Plus it is depressed into the housing of the spot. In order for the button to be pressed it would take something small and pointed at the end(like a screwdriver) and then it still has to hold the button down and apply a fairly large amount of force to apply the button for that long. A screwdriver or something of that sort doesn't apply enough pressure to accidently press the 911 button.

I love my SPOT, sure makes life easier and gives me piece of mind.

I can also use it while out on a motorcycle ride, even thought about throwing it in the pickup the rest of the time in case I'm somewhere that doesn't have cell phone reception.

M
Sep 21, 2002
Edmonton
I keep mine on when I am out in the backcountry. Now that I think of it, I guess you don't need it on all the time.
When you send out a signal, whatever it may be, it keeps sending that signal for 20 minutes. just in case it does not get to the satellite right away.
For the 911, well, I guess a sharp object would have to push on it. I wrap it in my toque in my backpack. The lithium batteries last a long time.
The survivors of the accident in Sparwood, where the 8 sledders perished, had a Spot, the S&R came in about an hour I believe.

It does give peace of mind to the people that worry about you. I am gonna give it to my father when he goes out stream fishing. He is 79 and tends to get into trouble...with his quad. my old man with 9 lives...LOL

Premium Features