• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

In need of fuel pump

XCaSSAULT

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2016
I run a spi filter with out any issues. 59psi should be good.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
I’ve been running SPI filters as well.

Good multimeter to Check Amp draw. Just be certain you’re checking it correctly or you can burn up your meter.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Btw, isn’t this a 4 injector motor? If so, that system was plagued with Voltage Regulator issues. I used to carry one in my backpack. I think Eric already asked have you checked Voltage at the pump?

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
I replaced the VR a couple years back.

Any suggestions on testing the voltage at the pump if it is a process that can burn out my meter? Would there be a difference between idle and 6-7,000 RPM? Or at least a need to check both?

Merlin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 7, 2004
Medicine Hat, AB
Testing the voltage will not harm your meter even if it is higher than anticipated.

Testing the amperage with the meter connected in series can be an issue if you exceed the meter's capacity. In that case you may burn the internal fuse.

I'm not familiar with the wiring on that machine but you might be able to back probe the fuel pump connector & then run the sled on a track stand. Paying close attention to the voltage as you vary the engine speed.

I replaced the VR a couple years back.

Any suggestions on testing the voltage at the pump if it is a process that can burn out my meter? Would there be a difference between idle and 6-7,000 RPM? Or at least a need to check both?

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
I was out looking earlier to see if I could jump into the pump connector by the steering post. If I can unplug and power the pump with a battery to get it running, I was hoping to test the power output from the sled. I think I could test it at idle and at operating rev's. I would be more concerned with amperage than voltage to some extent as my transformer I used has the correct voltage but not enough oomph to generate max pressure. I'm assuming the sled power could likely be the same issue. I need to dig a little more and see if I have some terminal ends I can make some jump wires from.

Merlin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 7, 2004
Medicine Hat, AB
It would be best to test the fuel pump circuit when it is being powered from the sled rather than an alternate power source.

Test the voltage at the fuel pump connector(back probe the pump side) with the machine running & varying the engine speed.

If the voltage is within specs you've likely ruled out any deficiencies in the fuel pump electrical circuit. If the voltage is low you can move on to a current / amperage test that would require building a temp break out harness so you can connect your meter in series unless you have a clamp style DC amp. meter.

If the amperage is high / above specs the fuel pump(electric motor) may be suspect. If the amperage is low / below specs there may be issues with the power supply or wiring / connections.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
Power to the pump at idle and 6-7000 rpm was 13.69-13.71 volts DC. No deviation from that point.

Got to thinking that maybe I am ingesting hot exhaust back up into the engine bay when in deep snow. Not sure, but it was worth the following process.
I pulled the can, cleaned it and waxed the end, then cleaned the O-ring seal and reinstalled. Once locked in place I used RTV and sealed the two. The wax should help the can come loose later.

Whenever the weather and my work schedule cooperate I'll go try it again.

NapaMatt

Matryx 850 Pow Slayer!
Lifetime Membership
Mar 13, 2009
Stewartville, MN
www.napaonline.com
I chased this problem on my CFI 4 660!!!

Turned out to Be the stator Ring, had wore in to the wires coming out of the stator~~~

Something to check before spending money on fuel pump

Sled Never quit on me.. Just load up when in deep snow or on a long pull.. it was weird

But so Glad i found it As the Sled RIPS!!!

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
Sounds like similar issue I had on my 06 fusion. Turned out my fuel lines were rotten.

Thanks. That had occurred to me, but they checked out.

I pulled the starter and magneto fan unit. I sure didn't see anything out of the ordinary. I don't really want to pull the mag just to check.

After you sled is running badly if you look at the spark plugs do they indicate a lean condition?
I been messing around hunting out an intermitant lack of power in an 09 800 Rmk .
To check voltage and draw at the pump did you just back probe at the conection up by the steering post?

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
After you sled is running badly if you look at the spark plugs do they indicate a lean condition?
I been messing around hunting out an intermitant lack of power in an 09 800 Rmk .
To check voltage and draw at the pump did you just back probe at the conection up by the steering post?

I haven't ridden since mid December. I will probably need to pull plugs again and look, but last time this happened the plugs looked fine.

Yes, I probed for voltage only at the post at idle, mid and high rpm's with no load. Maybe .1 volt difference anywhere along the spectrum.

Premium Features