• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

crank run out

cascadesnowjunky

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2007
Kennewick WA
That is a bunch, if memory serves me correct .004 was max. If it were mine I would not run it. How many miles are on it? Has it had a big bearing kit, or ever been apart before?

S
Dec 3, 2015
quebec
apart yes last owner crank broke on him 2years ago. the guy that rebuilt it, rebuilt it with brps bearings. wow if .004 is tolerence im way off. currently has 7000 miles. and yes big bearing was installed

Last edited:

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
Danger Will Robbins, Danger. :)

.008 is a LOT. I used to tell people, you won't ever see .01... it will break before then.

Anything over .003 or so and I look to service it.

If you are really confident that you measured it accurately then you need to take it apart and have it rebuilt and have the cases checked really well.

sled_guy

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
I would have it looked at VERY close. The 800s were infamous for breaking crank pins on the PTO side. Do you know how many miles the crank has on it? You mentioned 7000 in a post, but I'm guessing that is overall, not since the crank was rebuilt?

If it was true when it went in, the case is nice and tight, and the pin is in good shape then you have to ask yourself why did it go out of alignment? What condition is your clutch in? Has it been balanced?

When I do a rebuild on an 800 like yours I send the crank to a reputable crank shop and have them completely rebuild it... they will know when they get it apart what needs to be replaced and what doesn't. I have the cases checked to make sure they are a tight fit on the bearings. Then I completely rebuild the clutch and if it hasn't been balanced before have it balanced.

Curious, are any of your motor mounts broken? That happens often when a crank is out of true.

sled_guy

S
Dec 3, 2015
quebec
previous owner broke 3 belts while riding. clutch alignment was way off. i think that is what threw the pto off. the more we speak about the crank the more i feel like letting go. feels like im into a money pitt with that engine. miles on crank i dont know maybe 200miles. when he rebuilt it he put the engine back in himself and never checked the (crooked) and went threw belts. after 4 rides he bought a new one and sold that one to me. and no mount are broken

Last edited:

whoisthatguy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2007
The PTO side bearings do not get the same lubrication as the other bearings because the mfr left out the oil drip hole that directs oil to that bearing. If you take the crankcase apart, you can drill in that hole to make your next bearing last longer. Also, the 800's tend to rip apart the front PTO side engine mount. This allows the crankcase to twist, which causes all kind of bearing problems. Keep an eye on it and replace often.

S
Dec 3, 2015
quebec
okay. its not broken but might as well change it while im there. just dont know how to get there uneless i drill the rivets of the floating plate. is there another way? and thank for the help to all

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
The rubber mount and stud is screwed in to the mounting plate. You can grab it with a pipe wrench (there is actually a special tool) to turn it out and thread it out and replace it.

sled_guy

Premium Features