• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Best Bumper Conversion for the $$$?

ditch1000

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2008
Fort St. James, B.C.
09 Gussets Fit

Looks like you replaced the tunnel rolls too. I know that the 07 and older tunnel rolls are much different, but the 08's look just like the 09's. Do the new style gussets fit into the 08 rails? I need this question specifially answered.

The 09 style gussets do fit the 08 tunnel rolls. It takes a little bit of work but all you need to do is bend out the section of the tunnel roll past where the beaver tail section of the running board meets the main section of running board. Drill out a couple of the rivets on the beavertail section of the tunnel roll and bend the tunnel roll out til you get the clearance you need to make the gusset fit (about 1/4" or so), You just need to then rivet on the 09 gussets (no filing needed) and drill 1 new hole in the tunnel roll to rivet the tunnel roll back into place.

M

madsigntist

Dec 19, 2007
Lehi, UT
www.summitsigns.biz
For any of you who have flattened an 05 style exchanger...What is the most effective way to do this? Is the aluminum brittle and needing heat or does it flex OK with leverage? I installed the VE 1/2 boondock rear tunnel and the stock exchanger looks a little awkward hanging down.

When flattening, does this affect cooling capabilities? Mine already tends to overheat on non big powder days.

Thanks.

NM

Heat exchangers can easily be flattened with a hydralic press. The are soft AL. Tried driving on top of it cause someone said that worked=BS. Tried my Dmax and a dually and didn't hardely make a difference.
Cut the mounting flange off and grind the welds/spots off clean.
Cut off about 3 inches of the tubing ends, you won't need that length anyway.
Find somebody with a decent Hyd. press.
I sandwiched it between 2 pcs. of 1/8" steel, and work your way around the unit flattening a little a time. Takes about 10 minutes, max.
Works like a charm. I have done a few now and no problems.

Z

ZRman31

Sep 8, 2008
Negaunee, Mi
i've been doing some research on this subject for the past week and i'm still kind of lost on what direction to go. Idealy i would like to go with ALL 09 parts and be done with it but i would also like to save as much $$$ as possible. Fab work is not a problem, but i'm just worried about flattening my stock 08 cooler... I don't want to be out in the boonies and have something crack... Anyone have any problems with flattened coolers?

bgreen776

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
Kenai, AK
www.backcountryrebles.com
I destroyed my BDX kit, while it is an awesome kit, and probably one of the best values of any aftermarket part I have ever purchased, it just wasn't tough enough for they way I wanted to use it.

So, when I bought a new 2010 M8 I was pretty interested to see how tough the stock bumpers were. While fairly subjective, I tested it in real world conditions. It failed.

I have a bad back so I use my snobungie when ever I can, and the stock bumper didn't last one ride. (several bumper to bumper full throttle pulls) The BDX lasted a full season of serious abuse, but it started to pinch the cooler and eventually got really pointy. :D

SO....

Here is a small tribute to our 2nd Ammendment rights and the bumper I just finished building. Its 1" schedule 40 6063 aluminum pipe (1-5/16" O.D.) bent with a Pro-Tools 105 tubing bender. I made it extra long so I could tie it into the rear suspension brackets, drilled some holes in the bottom so I could use ratchet straps to hold gear on the back, and attached it to he tunnel with a bunch of 3/16" S.S. pop rivits. With a little sanding this pintle hitch is a perfect fit for this size pipe. (Check your local stores and Ski-Doo dealers, you should be able to find them for quite a bit less)

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

P1060623.jpg P1060604.jpg P1060638.JPG

Aug 12, 2008
Houston, mn
so what happens if you dont run the brace at the end of the foot rails? i would asume it would bend, but after jumping on just one side with all my weight i'm not convinced i need them.

bowerman61028

Premium Member
Feb 21, 2009
Bend, OR
Does anyone addd extra welds on the bumper to tunnel part? I'm having a friend weld the foot supports to the tunnel but I could strip down the bumper part and weld it too if needed. I'm not convinced the bumper will need to be welded as well.

U
Dec 20, 2007
Washington
Looking to do this upgrade to the 07. I would like to know if anyone knows if you can get just a black bumper by itself? Not looking to spend the money for the BDX kit.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
Friend of mine just did the BDX kit on his 08' M10 yesterday, it came out pretty well.

Premium Features