• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

GPS trail maps

N

Nubulin

Oct 26, 2005
Flatlands USA :(
Who makes the best GPS trail maps for a garmin GPS? I have looked at sledgps.com, but they seem pretty expensive.

Do any of them have the trails labeled like a paper map?

I am looking for WY and MT.

Z

zgo138

Jan 23, 2008
Minnesota
GPS maps

Hello there,
I am always looking for new software and data to use with my garmin. I know there are many programs that you can use but when I was at the University of Montana and did our GIS data surveys and GPS courses we used a program called TOPOFUSION. You can go to topofusion.com and check it out, I hope it helps. I don't know if they have snowmobile trail maps but they have all of the forest service roads labled and marked and you can easily download them onto your GPS and off of your GPS. I hopw this helps!
zach

BOULDERBOB

Premium Member
Jan 17, 2008
Boulder, Co
I liked the sledgps maps as they could be overlayed on the topo maps from garmin and then loaded onto my garmin 530. Works great, we mostly boondock but sometimes you want to see what the best way back to a trail and this combo works! As for cost, I didn't think $50.00 for the snowmobile trials for several states was bad at all.

S

Skippyspad

Dec 18, 2009
Loveland, CO
You can create custom maps with google earth from a trail map. Once you get the hang of it it doesn't take long. Last night I put 5 of the Colorado trail maps on to my Colorado 400T in about an hour. Below is the link for the instructions. One thing you need to do that they don't tell you is to create a subfolder inside the garmin folder on your unit. Call it CustomMaps. If you are saving it to a SD Card inside your unit, create both the Garmin folder then the CustomMaps subfolder.

The first thing you need is the overlay map in a JPEG format. This can be as simple as a digital photograph of a map. Colorado Snowmobile Assoc. has their maps in this format for download. Only two of them are too big to do this with.

http://garmin.blogs.com/softwareupd...ng-garmin-custom-maps-in-five-easy-steps.html

Mike

rmk2112

Premium Member
Nov 21, 2009
Kennewick, WA
www.northstar-plumbing.com
You can create custom maps with google earth from a trail map. Once you get the hang of it it doesn't take long. Last night I put 5 of the Colorado trail maps on to my Colorado 400T in about an hour. Below is the link for the instructions. One thing you need to do that they don't tell you is to create a subfolder inside the garmin folder on your unit. Call it CustomMaps. If you are saving it to a SD Card inside your unit, create both the Garmin folder then the CustomMaps subfolder.

The first thing you need is the overlay map in a JPEG format. This can be as simple as a digital photograph of a map. Colorado Snowmobile Assoc. has their maps in this format for download. Only two of them are too big to do this with.

http://garmin.blogs.com/softwareupd...ng-garmin-custom-maps-in-five-easy-steps.html

Mike

I did exactly as described, its now in the folder.....but Rino doesn't see it.
It sees my WA map in Garmin/CustomMap/WA-TOPO but its a .img file like the US TOPO.
How do you get the Rino to recognize the .kmz format that is made when you do a custom map?

Rick!

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
The google to garmin map stuff only works with Colorado, Oregon, and Dakota devices. You need to create the proper .img files through other softwares (some are freeware) and compiling them with cgpsmapper in order to put them in Rino's, 60's, 76's and the like. Then the next advanced step would be to create self installing executables (with one of tow or three other available freewares) so they load into Mapsource on your PC/laptop and are easily picked and loaded onto your device. It'll take a few hours to produce your first "map" but then it gets routine and doesn't take a lot of time.

G

gspbirdhunt

Jan 30, 2008
Janesville IA
sled maps

I too have searched high and low - have a garmin 60csx. We have ended up just fighting the urge to go off trail the first 1/2 day in a new location - Laramie, Togwotee and Cooke City. Fir the first 1/2 day, trail ride and mark every intersection andshow the tracks on the map. Then the rest of the trip you have a reference to all the marked trails from point a to point b.

I know it seems like kind of waste of 1/2 day but riding without reference points to trails is a recipe for disaster - especially for us flatlanders that don't know the roads and terrain.

I know that's not the help you were looking for but what we ended up doing after the same endless search for good maps.

Good luck to you.

Premium Features