• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

new places to ride in the Snowys

schmidty89

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2008
Spirit Lake IA
Been coming out to the snowies for several years now sometimes more than one or two trips a year so our group is pretty familiar with our normal riding areas.

I have a hard time getting some of my group out of their comfort zone as they like to go down the same old path... we normally ride around the loop of the pass in and out. behind the warming hut north and south of the west Parking area. curious if there is any riding up the P trail north of Centenial or south of the Libby Flats over look. we like to stay off the trails so the one time i was in Albany I wasn't too impressed. or possibly a place to lodge on the WEST side of the Pass..

I do know there is a zone to stay away from in french creek but any other places to go or stay away from that some of you guys care to share.

Goinboardin

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2009
Laramie, WY
Have you used this map? http://wyotrails.state.wy.us/pdf/SnowiesGeoPDF2016_Small.pdf
It's off the Wyoming State Trails website: http://wyotrails.state.wy.us/Maps/SnowmobileMaps.aspx

If you download the Avenza PDF Maps app on your phone, you can put the above map on there, and use your phone as a GPS with that map. It's a slick setup. I recommend downloading the other free topo maps too (found on the Avenza app), because they have finer resolution of the topography (they don't have the trails though). You do not need service to use this app, just satellite location. On Android phones you can set to airplane mode but turn on location and the app works great. Iphones are model dependent on this ability.

I won't give anything away but using a topo map in conjunction with a satellite image can help you find new spots. Google earth is a powerful tool for the satellite imagery. Being able to spot a drainage on a map, then navigating yourself there can be fun (or a meadow/park, whatever terrain feature you're trying to find).

I hear you on wanting to get out of the comfort zones. I'm fortunate to have a crew that always wants to explore. We stare at maps at home, then go check that zone out next ride when we have time. Weekday rides we tend to hit a known spot so we can get back to work in a timely manner.

The spot in French Creek you're talking about is known as Seven Fools. Yes that is a bad hill. Wind loads readily and it's the near perfect slope angle of 38 degrees for holding dangerous slabs right up until your buddy high marks it. It has claimed one life that I know of.

schmidty89

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2008
Spirit Lake IA
I have the trail map saved to my Ipad and overlayed on my Garmin.... ive always been good at studying maps and having a better idea on my wearabouts that way. i guess I see that there are plenty of more trails just dont want to lead my buddies down a trail with no good riding at the end... I figured i wouldnt get much good info on the secret spots lol

Last edited:

sledhead685

Premium Member
Jan 12, 2012
Laramie
Having a good idea of your whereabouts is real important for exploring, that way goinboardin and the rest of the SAR crew doesn't have to come find you. I feel like in the snowies as long as you are above about 10,000 ft the trees are spaced well enough to be ridable, versus down by Albany where the trees are super tight, and crappier snow usually. Then the rest depends on what kind of terrain you enjoy the most, as he mentioned. Finding new places to explore is all part of the fun!

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
We have only been there one time. We stayed in Ryan Park, and we liked the option of having access to the Snowies and the Sierra Madres. $.02

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
Ive ridden the snowies about 150 days in the last 12 years and can still find new areas every time. You just need to go explore and ride where everyone else is NOT. Just be careful about dropping into drainages that you dont know how to get out of. You can go explore without getting extreme too. Just be OK with the fact that not every route you try and take is gonna be great, or even work out at all. Sometimes you might go for a mile or 2 or 3 and end up following your track back out. Take a GPS, leave it on and let it track your route. Pick a direction and just go ride! Figure out where your at at lunch time :) One thing about the snowies.... Your never that far away from a trail that will take ya back to the truck.

Dont rule out unloading at Albany and go exploring too. Lots of fire roads down that way to go down and turn off of, hidden lakes and meadows to carve in. Lots of good riding off T trail too and it always tends to get deeper around the warming hut on T. Eric

schmidty89

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2008
Spirit Lake IA
Perfect. This is what I needed, I've always like to explore I always push into some great areas, Lucky for me I have the garmin with a trail image overlay. Seems they always look to me for a way out and home but always want to go there old ways in the morning.. I just ride with those kinds of guys that like their comfort zone and need more than my opinion to get out of it. Now that I have some other info to back my ideas I should be good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

..SNAKEBIT..

Lifetime Membership
Jun 24, 2004
Iowa
I agree with Eric
Ive ridden the snowies about 150 days in the last 12 years and can still find new areas every time. You just need to go explore and ride where everyone else is NOT. Just be careful about dropping into drainages that you dont know how to get out of. You can go explore without getting extreme too. Just be OK with the fact that not every route you try and take is gonna be great, or even work out at all. Sometimes you might go for a mile or 2 or 3 and end up following your track back out. Take a GPS, leave it on and let it track your route. Pick a direction and just go ride! Figure out where your at at lunch time :) One thing about the snowies.... Your never that far away from a trail that will take ya back to the truck.

Dont rule out unloading at Albany and go exploring too. Lots of fire roads down that way to go down and turn off of, hidden lakes and meadows to carve in. Lots of good riding off T trail too and it always tends to get deeper around the warming hut on T. Eric

Premium Features