• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Anyone from Cheyenne Wy on here

edgey

Premium Member
Jul 9, 2001
Might take a job in Cheyenne how's the schools there? have a 5th grader and a sophomore in high school. How's the crime and drug problem? Snowmobile club? Any other positives or negatives.

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
I cant answer any of those questions, But Ive driven through there about 120 times, stopped for fuel, stopped to eat dinner, stayed over night and the take away I get is its very windy (all the time) and lots of trash blowing around. Also there is a large oil refinery there and it smells like burning oil all the time. I get it, they have to be built somewhere, but I couldnt live with in 50 miles any direction from there.
Several people on the forum do live there so im sure they can give you more details. Eric

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
I've lived here for 5+ years now. I love it here. Still small enough to have the small town feel but big enough to have most of the stores my wife needs. The refinery is on the south side of town and the wind blows from the northwest so we get very little smell in most of the town. I live two miles north of it and have never had it blow the smell our way. There is a snowmobile club in Laramie (45 miles west). I can't say much about the schools (I have no kids) but I've heard they're not the greatest. Today was 17* and dead calm. It does blow in the winter a bunch but the summer is plain awesome! Highs in the 80-90* range, not very much wind and a enough rain to make it green but not overly wet.

There are farmers markets and live bands always happening in the depot plaza and good fishing is 25 west (granite, crystal and crow reservoirs).

The crime rate is low on the north, east and west sides of town but the south side seems to have a lot of crime. There have been a few murders and shootings but it don't seem to be all that common. Drugs (mostly weed from Colorado) seem to make their way into town but it's not any worse than any other place you go.

All in all I love this place.

Last edited:

OCDsledder

Lifetime Membership
Apr 23, 2003
Cheyenne WY
I rally couldn't put it any better. I have lived in Cheyenne for 21 years now and a 6 year stint before that. There is a lot to offer. I grew up in central Iowa and love the Cheyenne area. Cost of living is low compared to other western communities of comparable size. Schools are really not much different than any where else.
The snowmobile club is in Laramie and meets on the 3rd Thursday of each month. You can check it out on FB "Snowy Range Snowmobile Club".

Last edited:

Goinboardin

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2009
Laramie, WY
If you're into mountain biking at all, there's some good riding between laramie and Cheyenne. Curt Gowdy state park and happy jack. I live in Laramie and was pleasantly surprised with summer around here.

The sled club is in Laramie. We meet monthly and have a few other get togethers each year. Lots of good snowmobiling reasonably close.

No idea on schools in Cheyenne though.

dgibbons

Lifetime Membership
Jan 23, 2012
Cheyenne, WY
I'll echo what Rulon said - windy in the winter, but the summers are much more mild than the humid midwest or the south. Warm temps, low wind, drier, pleasant air.

Commutes from one end of town to the other max out at 15 min and are more likely 5-10 minutes. All the general amenities you need, some decent food (plus a lot of chains) and decent culture. It's not nearly as refined as Fort Collins, Boulder, etc., but some people here prefer it that way. I think the general populace would like to find a happy medium and the city is working hard to redevelop and revitalize downtown into a more visited destination. There is a decent foundation set and a pretty cool vision for moving forward.

There are lots of great opportunities for kids in town with more on the way - the school district has some really good schools and some not so great ones from what I understand, you may look into their ratings when choosing what school district boundary you look for homes in.

There is a really good baseball program in town and I think the parks and rec does a decent job as well with its program offerings and there are numerous other club sports. I like Cheyenne because it's fairly large, but also fairly quiet and I'm in close proximity to a lot of cool stuff without having to fight Colorado traffic every day. All in all quality of life is great and there's some of the best sledding in the country that I am fortunate enough to ride most weekends in the winter!

Premium Features