• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

who takes DSLR cameras out with them.

J
Dec 19, 2007
I just do a Nikon D90 and going to be taking it out sled with us. Just want to see how everyone is packing it in with when. I'm think i might get a pelican case and strap it to the gas rack.

C

carbondaddy

Nov 26, 2007
Revy
I carry mine in a case in my backpack. A little hard to get to, but safe and dry. I use a 28-300 mm lense - very versatile.

E

Ekliptix

Oct 21, 2001
Calgary, AB
www.photosbygraham.com
You can get these for cheap on ebay

backpack1.jpg

backpack2.jpg

backpack3.jpg

But, I use an ABS backpack now.
I mount my 70-200F4L lens on the body, then put it in a tight fitting, 1/4" thick soft $15 camera case I bought at Wallmart. The 17-35mm lens I put in a wool sock and zip lock placed at the top of my bag. No issues in 6 years.

Dunatic

MODERATOR: Paid Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Jan 24, 2003
Plain City, Utah
I carry a D300 wit a 18-200mm lens in a lowepro top load zoom bag with a chest harness, it's a little awkward at first but you get use to it.

pic of me with bag strapped to the front of me.
041907_7581.jpg

P

PowderGirl

Nov 26, 2007
McCall, Idaho
www.facebook.com
I carry my Rebel XTI in a padded camera bag in my back pack too. Fills up half my pack but I'm a little hesitant to put it on my sled somewhere. Would be nice to get the weight off my back though - especially when I'm carrying the video camera. I remember Thomas Opre having quite the set up on his tunnel behind his seat. Anyone checking into or outfitted their tunnel? Seems like it would be riskier as far as equipment damage by snow and shock.

D

driftjumper

Nov 29, 2007
www.exconfreeride.com
I have a Canon GL2 video camera I take on every ride, and my Rebel XSI DSLR should show up later this week.

62879.jpg

I use the Ogio TY Video bag. I swear by that pack! Before I had it I would wrap the GL2 in a sweatshirt or line my pack with foam, but it was always a pain to get the camera out quickly and it got pretty beat up. With the ty video pack you can configure it so it will fit securely, and it has pretty good padding. Plus it's pretty easy to pull the camera out and start rolling. That's good when you ride with guys who can track up an area and are ready to move on just about the time I can get the camera out and hit record. Maybe that's because I'm usually more excited to make tracks of my own than to film too.

30382.jpg

I'm hoping I'll be able to bring both the GL2 and the rebel with me on rides this year. I know it will fit, I just don't know if I'll be able to take a second lense, water, etc and it may be a bit more weight than I want to carry.

When my rebel shows up I could take some pics of it in the bag. If that's all you were taking with you there would plenty of room for the camera and a couple lenses water bottles etc and you would be able to configure it so the camera was in the center of the pack and pretty well protected.

The only drawbacks to this pack for me is there is no good place to put my shovel.....and I'd rather have it on me than on the sled. I would like to get an airbag pack too, then I really don't know what I'll do with camera equipment. But hey, I'm more important than that stuff.

E

Ekliptix

Oct 21, 2001
Calgary, AB
www.photosbygraham.com
I remember Thomas Opre having quite the set up on his tunnel behind his seat. Anyone checking into or outfitted their tunnel? Seems like it would be riskier as far as equipment damage by snow and shock.
In my opinion, if you're doing any hard riding putting camera gear on the back of the sled is going to put your gear at risk. This was Tomas' set up a few years ago, but he was riding to access areas to shoot footage, not to ride hard.

TS1_40.jpg

S

sledchick

Nov 26, 2007
NSL, UT
I just got my canon 40D this summer, and have been wondering how people take them out riding. What do you guys do about cold? I know battery life is effected..I might have to look into a camera pack like that..thanks for the posts!

dsp81

Premium Member
Oct 31, 2005
After much experimentation, I have finally settled on the Lowepro Rover AW II (link). This bag accommodates a pro-SLR or an SLR with a battery grip and a 70-200 2.8 with room for probably one more lens. The top portion of the bag is a for general storage and the bottom holds the camera. It has an "all weather" cover, but I've never needed to use it. The bag also has velcro-adjustable dividers for the camera portion.

I like it because the gear is lower in the bag and causes less strain on my back than my previous bag (Lowepro Nature Trekker).

I just got my canon 40D this summer, and have been wondering how people take them out riding. What do you guys do about cold? I know battery life is effected
I've never had a problem with cold, but you can take out the battery and keep it close to your body so it doesn't get cold.

Last edited:
S
Dec 5, 2007
My very first post!! I have been lurking for awhile.

I have carried a canon 20D on my back for last 3 years, wrapped in a towel in my SOS pack. I purchased a 40D this year and a better lense and will carry that in my pack also. About all I carry on my back is photo equipment, my shovel and extra gloves/goggles. I wrecked a minolta 35mm years ago by carrying it on the sled.....won't make that mistake again! If you have trouble with batteries in the cold use a hand warmer. I carry 2 batteries, one wrapped in a hand warmer and the other in the camera. I switch when ever the charge gets low, the warmth brings the charge back up so you can shoot all day even when its really cold. I usually take several hundred pics a day without a problem. Its worth the hassel to carry a big camera when you get the shot of a lifetime!

H

HighMark Adventures

Nov 26, 2007
Chilliwack
www.highmarkadventures.com
I used to pack my gl2 and rebel xt(then my 30d) in my abs pack. Wrapped them in foam. It was a pain in the azz.Would keep my 28-70 2.8 on the body and had my 70-200 2.8 in its padded case wrapped in foam.

Then last year I finally gave in and bought a proper camera pack. I picked up a http://Kata HB-207.It carried my 30d, xt,3 lenses and my gl2. This year it will only be carrying a 1d MarkIII, couple lenses and a canon hv-30. Pack will be lighter this year.:p Pack is real comfortable to wear,don`t even notice the weight compared to that pos abs pack.

Remember when out in the cold all day,don`t come back to a piping hot truck cab or hotel room and pull your camera out right away. Let in warm up in the bag gradually. Moisture is not your friend.:D

Kata also has this bag to carry in front so you can still wear your original pack.
http://www.kata-bags.com/product.asp?p_Id=324&Version=Photo

Last edited:
R
Jan 25, 2009
My Nikon lives in a Pelican case, I have been thinking about getting the guys at Mountain addiction to send me just the plastic part of the tunnel bag they make and another set of rails. The plastic part of the Tunnel bag they make is basically just the gas can with the top cut off it. I would then cut the plastic part down so I just had the flat bottom part of the can, then bold it to my pelican case, this way the bottom of my pelican case would be able to slide onto a set of Mountain addiction rails mounted behind my gas can. Hope this makes sense.

I use a medium size pelican case strapped into after market rack. I forget who makes the rack at the moment. In the pelican I have the foam plucked for my Canon 7D mounted with either a 17 to 55mm, the 70 to 200mm, or the 100 to 400mm. I have foam plucked on the opposite side of the case that fits another "lens pick of the day" from any of those listed lenses. I ride as hard as I can and I have not had an issue with any gear in the case. I have had a copy of the 17 to 55mm fail carrying it in my pack though. I can jump off the sled and in seconds have the straps undone and be shooting.. I love it :bounce:

Premium Features