• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What's a good choice for ice scratchers ?

R
Aug 30, 2008
Rocky Mountians
Being rather new to the sport and have read about the benifits of ice scratchers. I have been thinking about adding a set to my new machine, 04 RMK 800 159." I'm not planning on removing wheels but more of a supplement for the hard packed trails.

Anybody ever screaw things up by backing up with them down. Do they make any for reverse sleds too ?

Also, I assume the closer to the front of the skid the better ?

any recomendations ?:)

Cabin2008027.jpg

S
Dec 1, 2007
BC
yes closer to the front the better and yes you can back up with them, you can get the slidekick's which are cable scratchers but on hard pack they dont dig in as much as regular scatchers, you get used to not backing up with them down

R
Sep 1, 2001
Maple Grove, MN
I had that sled. You can run the scratcher (traditional style spring set up) just aft of the front outside idler wheel. If you are going to run trails I would leave all the wheels right where they are, your hifax will thank you for it.

As for backing up. The cable ones you may be able to do so, I don't know for certain. The spring ones or as I call it traditional ones, not a chance. You will bend them every which way to sunday doing that. Trust me!

Get some form of scratchers for that sled. That's step one for sure.

S

sodfarmer

Dec 5, 2007
RSI posted a deal for snow westers a few days back. $50 for a set with free shipping. Thats where I would get them from.

I
Dec 5, 2007
Red Deer, AB
Any of the traditional ice scratchers will work, but not in reverse. Ski scratchers from simmons ski's work well and can be adapted to other ski's. In mtn. areas some of the climbers use a 3/8 bolt 2 in long in the rear inside ski corner works well, cheap and replaceable. keep them tight and they work fine.
Cable scratchers ?

B
Jun 27, 2008
Minnesota
Any of the traditional ice scratchers will work, but not in reverse. Ski scratchers from simmons ski's work well and can be adapted to other ski's. In mtn. areas some of the climbers use a 3/8 bolt 2 in long in the rear inside ski corner works well, cheap and replaceable. keep them tight and they work fine.
Cable scratchers ?

Do these homemade ones mess up your trailer? Sounds like a cheap alternitive but was just wondering.

I
Dec 5, 2007
Red Deer, AB
Do these homemade ones mess up your trailer? Sounds like a cheap alternitive but was just wondering.

You will have to take off when loading or unloading trailer, but can be left on while riding, Will really throw the snow. If you encounter rocks etc. you can move them up some. with a lock nut on ski top yhey can be adjusted with pliers, oh you need to cut top of bolt off, to make them easy off and on. ready rod will also work, keep them tight on skies and they should work awesome.

B
Oct 17, 2009
I have a set of slidekicks on my sled and they have been working great I can go in reverse and pretty well forget about them.There has been guf goin around about how they dont put enough pressure on the snow but I have not noticed that at all with there new design.You can buy them on ebay for 65 bucks it is well worth the investment.
Check out this link for the ones on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...trkparms=algo=LVI&its=I&otn=1&category=100449

D

Dimebag

Mar 11, 2009
PM SummitSeeker on this forum. He'll set you up with a great deal.

Good product at a even better price. Will be ordering from him again as soon as i get my new sled :)

SledGimp

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2007
Heber, UT
I have SlideKicks on mine with the new carbide tips and corrective bend in them they do a great job on hard pack and ice.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
I ran Summitseeker's on my old sled for a year. Bought another pair for my current sled and they are going into year 3. Works great, simple to install...what else do ya need?

My sled has reverse, but I just remember to put them up. Personally, I wouldn't bother with the reverse compatable ones unless you were reversing every 10 minutes?

POLZIN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Farmington NM
Slidekicks keep my 900 cool when I am on the trail! If you go that way make sure you READ the directions most people who didn't like them installed them incorrectly !and spend the extra for the carbide tips

Bogies are a matter of personall preference IMO I run without and get 3 seasons from a set of hyfax .Kinda depends on where you ride and the average snow conditions.

Premium Features