• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2019 sled weigh off

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
Just curious, aside from motor and clutch issues (dont wanna go there LOL) what made the Axys a one season sled?

As if a blown motor and two clutches in 1100 miles wasn’t enough? Power valve cable broke, thumbwamer broke, barely bumped a tree and the bumper mount broke, 3 bent a-arms and probably more I am forgetting. I also like that I can touch the boards and skid rails on the Cat without drawing blood, try that on the Polaris.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
As if a blown motor and two clutches in 1100 miles wasn’t enough? Power valve cable broke, thumbwamer broke, barely bumped a tree and the bumper mount broke, 3 bent a-arms and probably more I am forgetting. I also like that I can touch the boards and skid rails on the Cat without drawing blood, try that on the Polaris.

Your situation was not the norm... I would be pissed too. As far as weight goes like I said a few lbs in the right places would fix alot of problems like a arms, bumper tabs (addressed in 2019), and rear bumper. Hopefully the 840 package works better than the current 800- it does seem to start fading after the 1,000 mile mark.

I have ruined alot of gear to Poo boards, and been to the ER once. They are stupid sharp, the powder coated boards and rails are much better than the raw though.

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
Have ridden all three. Least brand loyal dude out there. All three kick butt. A good rider can take any of them to the same places, especially if you can spend some money/time on suspension.

Out of the crate the Polaris is super hard to beat. Anyone suggesting it "feels heavier" probably didn't have the suspension setup properly for them. I can make any of the three "feel light" (steering) or feel "super heavy". Learn how weight transfer, ride height and static weight distribution works.

I also agree weight matters more on the internet than in reality. 10-20 pounds isn't something you feel. 50 is, but its more a fatigue thing than a "I can't go there cause my sled is too heavy" thing.

The big thing about the Polaris I'm impressed with is how it carries weight, where it carries weight and how good the stock suspension can be made to work (Cat still wins on this one). Oh, and that new motor looks cool. It is a nimbley bimbly sled to boot.

...kind of like a well balanced track car. its a good platform to work with!

But yeah, a good rider can put any of the three in some crazy precarious situations.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I hope doo has the clutch heat better managed this yr.
Poo's skinny front and extra Cc's should make it a contender, maybe even as easy to ride as a Cat? We all know what the new front end did for the cat.

Anybody that isn't a Chris Burandt fan boy can admit that poo isn't the absolutely best at everything......

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
Your situation was not the norm... I would be pissed too. As far as weight goes like I said a few lbs in the right places would fix alot of problems like a arms, bumper tabs (addressed in 2019), and rear bumper. Hopefully the 840 package works better than the current 800- it does seem to start fading after the 1,000 mile mark.

I have ruined alot of gear to Poo boards, and been to the ER once. They are stupid sharp, the powder coated boards and rails are much better than the raw though.

Might not be the norm but my experience is more common than you might think. Hard riders are going through primary clutch rollers regularly and several I found have gone through motors. Maybe the new motor and other fixes will help but I am not paying to be the beta tester anymore.

I know I can ride the Cat as hard as I want and not have most of those problems. I have seen friends neglect and abuse Doo's without those problems as well. The other two are simply more durable machines in my experience.

I agree that additional fatigue is the biggest issue with extra weight. I have accepted that as my fate in order to have a more durable ride. I agree that all of them will take you crazy places, some just require a little more effort than others. Stuck is where I notice it most, the Axys was like a toy getting unstuck, the other two were noticeably more work.

The progress is all good for sure though. Not a BAD one in the bunch but definitely some varied flavors depending on how and where you ride.

M8onEdge

Premium Member
Dec 24, 2011
Rigby, Idaho
The new Poo is narrower from factory. I think it is 36" just as the Doo.

Yep, Polaris finally got on board. I rode the ‘19. The narrowed front makes all the difference in the world in low snow conditions for easily getting on edge with no countersteer maneuver required. 2” seems to be a sweet spot. My ‘16 with one inch narrower isn’t enough. First change I would make if I were going to ride an 18 or older Axys.

S
Mar 6, 2008
Northern Sweden
Yep, Polaris finally got on board. I rode the ‘19. The narrowed front makes all the difference in the world in low snow conditions for easily getting on edge with no countersteer maneuver required. 2” seems to be a sweet spot. My ‘16 with one inch narrower isn’t enough. First change I would make if I were going to ride an 18 or older Axys.

I rode the -19 protos too last spring. It felt like the sled changed direction just by looking in another direction, it was a delight to ride. A noticeable difference to my -15 RMK and I have never had any problem sidehilling that.

However, I still ended up ordering a Lynx :face-icon-small-hap

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
Dude...dude...just...dude. Way too many people have spent way too much time on Axys sleds for this statement to carry any credibility.

And count me in as well with the disagree folks that 30 to 40 pounds more on a sled doesn't matter much. Oh my heavens. That is absolutely the #1 thing I love about my Axys is that it rides light, and it gets unstuck even lighter.

I do wish Polaris made a little better engine though. Hopefully this new Patriot will do what no Polaris 800 engine has done for over a decade now...keep running beyond the 2,000 mile mark without a total rebuild.

I had a 155 Axys 800 sks. I now have a 165 850 doo. Super easy to ride the Doo over the older axys. I say older axys as they now have the narrow front suspension. I'd love to try one. but back on track. I found the axys very stable on two skis or one.. but initiating the sidehill ot carve is most definitely easier on the new summit. it's all preference but I'd pick the doo 850 over my old axys any day. for ease riding and for the extra power.

Adam12

Lifetime Membership
Apr 16, 2014
Sisters, OR
https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=_2D8Kay99kc

A bunch of us snow and mud members got together, and weighted the 19’s these sleds were full of fuel and iil ready to ride. They all had their stock cans, I was there and witnessed the weights.

Thanks, another good one. Interesting results! I like that you guys had a 174 and compared snowcheck to snowcheck with Doo/Poo. The weight difference is a hell of a lot easier to swallow than the first vid, haha.

Ski-doo#1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2011
GreatWhiteNorth
https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=_2D8Kay99kc

A bunch of us snow and mud members got together, and weighted the 19’s these sleds were full of fuel and iil ready to ride. They all had their stock cans, I was there and witnessed the weights.

Very good! Cause now to get the weights of the other models for each brand. We just have to look at the differences in dry weight and subtract that difference from the wet weights in this video! Awesome stuff, thanks for sharing.

It seems as if we have all (even non-Doo riders) come to agree that the Doo is the easiest to ride. Strictly referring to stock setups. It is not the easiest to side-hill but it is the easiest to get there. It is the easiest on your body all day. Once you get the Poo or the Cat on one ski it is better which is why some people might say they are easier to ride, but there is a difference between "easiest to ride" and "easiest to ride on edge". They are easier to sidehill once on edge but not by that great of a margin. This is why we see a good mix of all brands on the mountain.

There are people who prefer the technical riding to be easier. There are people who want riding to be easier throughout the whole day. And there are people who like all the tidbits that come on a Ski-doo (Shot, fit and finish, e-tec technology, ect.). Then you throw in longevity of parts and the Doo is tough to compete with quality wise. They are the Mercedes-Benz in terms of overall product. I think we see where each company aims their product. Ski-doo simply wants easier. Cat and Doo want technical.

Can't go wrong with Doo when trying to go technical but maybe just not ideal in comparison. OF COURSE when you start modifying the stocks machines you can get them to do whatever. That type of stuff is better left out of the conversation because it induces more variables. When going away from stock you can start getting Poo and Cats to cross over into "easier all day" and you can start getting Doos to cross over into "better for technical riding" but each is a trade-off

Last edited:

nytro41

Premium Member
Oct 11, 2008
Some where in the hills ID
Very good! Cause now to get the weights of the other models for each brand. We just have to look at the differences in dry weight and subtract that difference from the wet weights in this video! Awesome stuff, thanks for sharing.

It seems as if we have all (even non-Doo riders) come to agree that the Doo is the easiest to ride. Strictly referring to stock setups. It is not the easiest to side-hill but it is the easiest to get there. It is the easiest on your body all day. Once you get the Poo or the Cat on one ski it is better which is why some people might say they are easier to ride, but there is a difference between "easiest to ride" and "easiest to ride on edge". They are easier to sidehill once on edge but not by that great of a margin. This is why we see a good mix of all brands on the mountain.

There are people who prefer the technical riding to be easier. There are people who want riding to be easier throughout the whole day. And there are people who like all the tidbits that come on a Ski-doo (Shot, fit and finish, e-tec technology, ect.). Then you throw in longevity of parts and the Doo is tough to compete with quality wise. They are the Mercedes-Benz in terms of overall product. I think we see where each company aims their product. Ski-doo simply wants easier. Cat and Doo want technical.

Can't go wrong with Doo when trying to go technical but maybe just not ideal in comparison. OF COURSE when you start modifying the stocks machines you can get them to do whatever. That type of stuff is better left out of the conversation because it induces more variables. When going away from stock you can start getting Poo and Cats to cross over into "easier all day" and you can start getting Doos to cross over into "better for technical riding" but each is a trade-off

the ski doo is easier to initate but at the end of the day if you do any hill side riding youll be more tired on that then a poo or cat. at least thats what i found.

edgey

Premium Member
Jul 9, 2001

Have you rode a 19 Polaris with the new 36" front end? Or a alpha cat? Maybe last year some of brand loyal mouth diarrhea was true but this year is a new year.

I highly doubt Benz would want a wobbly clutch in there luxury car. If doo is such high quality how come this the 3rd year of updates to try and get belts to live?

maurfello

Lifetime Membership
Nov 4, 2009
Washington
HAHAHA!!!! Love this thread, makes me laugh.
Have you rode a 19 Polaris with the new 36" front end? Or a alpha cat? Maybe last year some of brand loyal mouth diarrhea was true but this year is a new year.

I highly doubt Benz would want a wobbly clutch in there luxury car. If doo is such high quality how come this the 3rd year of updates to try and get belts to live?

B
Feb 18, 2009
I'm not saying I don't wish Skidoo wouldn't drop 30-40 lbs but my 2018 Summit feels way lighter, takes a fraction of the physical effort to ride, and does not overheat trail riding up and down the mountain compared to my buddies 2016 Axys...

Good job Skidoo!

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I'm not saying I don't wish Skidoo wouldn't drop 30-40 lbs but my 2018 Summit feels way lighter, takes a fraction of the physical effort to ride, and does not overheat trail riding up and down the mountain compared to my buddies 2016 Axys...

Good job Skidoo!
18 Axys doesn't overheat easily either.
2015 t3 doo sure does

Ski-doo#1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2011
GreatWhiteNorth
the ski doo is easier to initate but at the end of the day if you do any hill side riding youll be more tired on that then a poo or cat. at least thats what i found.

I think we all can agree on this! Certainly if you are doing something ALL DAY that the Cat and Poo are better at you will be less tired after riding these ones. Some people do this so it makes sense that is maybe the direction you would go. Most people, though, I would say don't spend all day side hilling.

No I haven't and I don't think it matters if I have. I previously stated that the Alpha on the Cat and the 36" front end on the Poo will make a difference. You also have to realize that there are trade-offs with this. Skinnier ski stance means greater chances of "paneling out" flexible track previously has people believing "washing out" but they will certainly be "easier all day" for most riders in my opinion.

Refer to post #34 in this thread and stop being so edgey, buddy boy

Last edited:

Ski-doo#1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2011
GreatWhiteNorth
Was hesitant to post this for multiple reasons but I believe it is too good of data to not share.

I collected this data, mainly from the SnowandMudd video and the specifications on the manufacturers' sites. If there was a sled in the other video, I used that too.

This is just a baseline for all the models listed. Stock baseline and maybe something you can use as you subtract or add parts/weight to your sled; if you have one of these listed.

Also, correlations can be drawn to other sleds in the case that it isn't listed.

Attachments

• P-W_W-P.pdf
    388 KB · Views: 132

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
It seems as if we have all (even non-Doo riders) come to agree that the Doo is the easiest to ride. Strictly referring to stock setups. It is not the easiest to side-hill but it is the easiest to get there. It is the easiest on your body all day.

Yes, we agree that is the best mtn sled for beginners or the old and infirmed. LOL We agree that it is the least capable in technical terrain, the heaviest, widest body, with silly wobble parts to try and fix the clutch and antiquated rear suspension. I still can't believe anybody serious about mtn riding buys these...

Premium Features