• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Boondocker Sidekick Turbo: Anyone running one??

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
So I am sitting here in the SnoWest booth at the Salt Lake City Snowshow and Boondocker is directly;y across from me with a brand new 2019 SP 165 on display with a Sidekick installed in it.

So I wandered over and had a couple Long conversations with the Boondocker boys and now I am considering one of these turbo kits for my sled, but wanted to hear from some of my fellow Snowesters who have this kit and have a few hours under them.. I like what I saw and what they had to sat.

But.
I Would appreciate hearing YOUR end user comments as well, Good, Bad or otherwise..The single most valuable thing our forum has to offer is the depth of personal experience that all the members bring here.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
ee9cff6890735ad3540688ef350b6508.jpg

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
So I am sitting here in the SnoWest booth at the Salt Lake City Snowshow and Boondocker is directly;y across from me with a brand new 2019 SP 165 on display with a Sidekick installed in it.

So I wandered over and had a couple Long conversations with the Boondocker boys and now I am considering one of these turbo kits for my sled, but wanted to hear from some of my fellow Snowesters who have this kit and have a few hours under them.. I like what I saw and what they had to sat.

But.
I Would appreciate hearing YOUR end user comments as well, Good, Bad or otherwise..The single most valuable thing our forum has to offer is the depth of personal experience that all the members bring here.

So why don't you be honest with the forum about the MPI turbo? You ranted and raved how great it was on here. Why aren't you still running one or putting one on your new sled? I bought into your Kool-aid (which your opinion is garbage to me now because you OBVIOUSLY have outside influence no offense) after I took a year off of having a turbo and I bought one. My experience was far less favorable than the one you posted about. All this being said my 2 BoonDocker turbos were garbage as well. I have heard the sidekick runs solid though so I am curious to see one on the snow.

skank

Lifetime Membership
Feb 25, 2008
Mountain View, Wyoming 82939
Get one! You won’t regret it!!

I rode two different 850’s last year with a Boondocker sidekick installed from ADTripleS and they were fantastic. I have been anti turbo for skidoo’s for many years and it was so refreshing to ride the sidekick. Finally a turbo kit that I loved. It was as responsive as stock, simple, consistent, turn key, pump fuel, and reasonably priced. I was sold. I will be riding one this year and cannot wait for my kit to arrive!!
I ride mostly deep steep trees and above 8000’+ elevation in Wyoming and Utah. I’m 250lbs and on and off the throttle a lot in technical terrain. Hit me up if you want further info about my experience.
Sim

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
So why don't you be honest with the forum about the MPI turbo? You ranted and raved how great it was on here. Why aren't you still running one or putting one on your new sled? I bought into your Kool-aid (which your opinion is garbage to me now because you OBVIOUSLY have outside influence no offense) after I took a year off of having a turbo and I bought one. My experience was far less favorable than the one you posted about. All this being said my 2 BoonDocker turbos were garbage as well. I have heard the sidekick runs solid though so I am curious to see one on the snow.

I have installed two MPI Turbos and one MPI Supercharger.
And all three worked great.
Of the, I preferred the SUPERCHARGER the most hands down!
I also installed a EVOPS Turbo on my Viper which was a major ordeal.

Could I call MPI and order up one of there's ?
Heck ya.
Would I be worried about it?
NOPE.

http://viper.mountainperformance.com/SkiDoo-850-Turbocharger_c_18.html

Any compelling reason for me not to?
Nope!

The only reason I am considering Boondocker this s just because I wanted to try the guys just down the street from where I live in Rigby. In the ten years I have been near them I have never used any of their products, and staring at their install all day made me think it might be time to give it a go.

Sorry you had issues with your MPI.
Wish you had told me sooner, I would have been more than happy to try and lend you a hand if possible. So far as I know I am still on very good terms with the MPI crew.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I have been anti turbo for skidoo’s for many years and it was so refreshing to ride the sidekick. Finally a turbo kit that I loved. Hit me up if you want further info about my experience.

Sim

Mind telling me WHY you were Anti-Turbo on Ski-Doos for years???

T
Aug 8, 2011
I have a sidekick that I put somewhere around 800 miles on. Overall it was a really good setup. Seemed to make extremely good power on not much boost, was perfectly reliable and ran perfectly aside from a pretty substantial stumble off the bottom at time (that I’m being told has been addressed on the 2019 kit)

I ran a very different clutch setup than what was sent with the kit with much improved results in both performance and belt life. We also made some alterations within the kit that resulted in a solid gain in horsepower, reduced the stumble off the bottom and made the sled run way better at lower altitudes.

This was by far the most trouble free, fun to ride, stock like turbo I have ever had and I have had quite a few over the years. It’s also the first nearly out of the box low boost turbo that I have been around that has true real world performance. It will easily stomp a big bore and that was not always the case before.

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
3 seasons on boost:face-icon-small-coo

2017 MPI
2018 Silber
2019 Boondocker

cant wait to test the new turbo in MN and the up high!!

have SOLID "set up" info and clutching/gearing for all 850T sleds (have helped every turbo sled on the hill) sooooo give me a ring if you need any help or just want solid feed back-BJ

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
3 seasons on boost:face-icon-small-coo

2017 MPI
2018 Silber
2019 Boondocker

cant wait to test the new turbo in MN and the up high!!

have SOLID "set up" info and clutching/gearing for all 850T sleds (have helped every turbo sled on the hill) sooooo give me a ring if you need any help or just want solid feed back-BJ

Care to offer your opinions of three turbo systems you have had the opportunity to play with on the 850s thus far??

900polman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ft Bridger WY
Skank

Christopher, He rides better than most without one! If Sim is on board with it I would say its worth having. I'm sure I know what sleds he has rode and I'm sure they are set up by the best. Just Saying.

Ricks 32

Premium Member
Aug 26, 2008
Idaho
I don't own an 850 Ski-Doo, but I've been on many with the BD Sidekick. I personally ride an Axys with a BD turbo. All of the Ski-Doo BD kits I rode with have been great. I'm actually helping two close friends install BD kits on their 850's later next month.

In all the Ski-Doo's I've rode, I preferred those with the T-motion locked out and a 15" track.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
I have installed two MPI Turbos and one MPI Supercharger.
And all three worked great.
Of the, I preferred the SUPERCHARGER the most hands down!
I also installed a EVOPS Turbo on my Viper which was a major ordeal.

Could I call MPI and order up one of there's ?
Heck ya.
Would I be worried about it?
NOPE.

http://viper.mountainperformance.com/SkiDoo-850-Turbocharger_c_18.html

Any compelling reason for me not to?
Nope!

The only reason I am considering Boondocker this s just because I wanted to try the guys just down the street from where I live in Rigby. In the ten years I have been near them I have never used any of their products, and staring at their install all day made me think it might be time to give it a go.

Sorry you had issues with your MPI.
Wish you had told me sooner, I would have been more than happy to try and lend you a hand if possible. So far as I know I am still on very good terms with the MPI crew.

MPI was helpful and sent updated parts without charging me. I am not blaming them, I just think turbos are a PITA to begin with. I just found it very peculiar you posted so much about them right when you got it and did the install then didn't even run it last year and aren't considering running it this year... With all their updated stuff I'm going to give it another try this season. When the sled ran it did run great.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
MPI was helpful and sent updated parts without charging me. I am not blaming them, I just think turbos are a PITA to begin with. I just found it very peculiar you posted so much about them right when you got it and did the install then didn't even run it last year and aren't considering running it this year... With all their updated stuff I'm going to give it another try this season. When the sled ran it did run great.

On that comment you and I are in TOTAL AGREEMENT!! :face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap

Its one of the reasons I am considering the Boondocker kit.
The guys at the both were pretty emphatic that the entire installation from start to finish could be done in 3-4 hours time with the MAJORITY of that time being spent in PREP, tearing down, opening up the sled ect.

That seems WILDLY fast to me and seriously got my attention as most of my installs have been "Ordeals" in one way or another. With the Nytro Supercharger being by far and away the most complex install of all!

Now, about the MPI 850 Turbo.
That turbo was installed by my SON on his 2017 Sled.
My son has a genetic spinal condition called kaufman's kyphosis, more commonly called "Hunchback". It has resulted in a 60 degree curvature of his back and resulted in EXCRUCIATING PAIN at the end of pretty much every ride we made. As a result of that he had to give up riding shortly after doing that install and sold the sled. So it totally fell off my radar screen. A couple weeks ago he underwent a experimental procedure that we HOPE may lead to the regeneration of his disks and a massive reduction in the associated pain. God willing, by next year, he MIGHT be back riding with me once again!:heart: Some of the others that have undergone this procedure have seen a 100% recovery.

And that is why I talked all about the install and almost nothing about actually riding it during the season. I was a VERY ODD situation to be sure!

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
I preordered an MPI last year, they f-ed up and didn't charge me the preorder fee. Thank Satan, I wasn't stuck with it. Every MPI here had issues, their ambassador went through two engines on two sleds. Actually I think it was three. He had a sled and a backup and had to borrow demos to ride. Keep er stock.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Buddy that works at the dealership will be riding a Doondocker kit this year on his demo, he is an ambassador. We will see how that works. I already told him that I will not tow him out.

Premium Features