• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Are you Over 50 and STILL SHREDDING?

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

JungleJim

Premium Member
Dec 11, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
Time for us in our 50's to stop whining about getting old, pull the panties out of our a$$es, get out and ride as hard as you physically can and let your experience make it hard for the 20 year old somethings keep up! The reason I say this is more to myself than anything as I firmly believe "age is a state of mind" apart from serious medical issues... We rode up in Valemount, BC with a sled buddies dad named Wilf who was 74 years young about 8 years ago and he was flying around on a M8 153 like a mexican jumping bean on coke! We couldn't keep up! Wilf said riding lots and hard is just a decision you make combined with keeping yourself in shape. About 20 years ago I rode down in Crowsnest Pass with an older gentleman named Frank who was even breaking trail for his buddy who he called the "young whipper snapper"... When we stopped for lunch I asked why he called his buddy that and he said its because his buddy was only 69 years old! My next question was well how old are you then? Frank's answer... he said "son, next Feb I'll be turning 83!". Blew me away! Him out there shredding it at that age. To be fair he did ask for help lifting the rear of sled out of a trench once... LOL! Frank's my idol and 80+ is my goal! Don't EVER talk yourself into being an old man... This rant brought to you by Aleve, Robaxacet and Johnnie Walker Blue Label (in that order).

TS Drag Racer

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Wa. st
I'm 50 still getting after it... No plans on quitting anytime soon still thoroughly enjoying it. I do notice the bones aching a little more at the end of the day after a good hard ride, but that's all just apart of father time and to be expected. These new sleds have come so far, I look back at the Phazers and Yamaha 700 with tripple pipes that I started on and feel so spoiled with all this new technology.

These new sleds are simply amazing on a new MTN Cat 800 162 this year, was on Skidoo 850X last year and a Axy's the year before that. Literally feel like a kid in a candy store all of the big 3 are making great products, it's hard to go wrong with any of them. Hope everybody has a fun, safe winter enjoying this amazing hobby! :cool:

JungleJim

Premium Member
Dec 11, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
I'm 50 still getting after it... No plans on quitting anytime soon still thoroughly enjoying it. I do notice the bones aching a little more at the end of the day after a good hard ride, but that's all just apart of father time and to be expected. These new sleds have come so far, I look back at the Phazers and Yamaha 700 with tripple pipes that I started on and feel so spoiled with all this new technology.

These new sleds are simply amazing on a new MTN Cat 800 162 this year, was on Skidoo 850X last year and a Axy's the year before that. Literally feel like a kid in a candy store all of the big 3 are making great products, it's hard to go wrong with any of them. Hope everybody has a fun, safe winter enjoying this amazing hobby! :cool:

How do you like the AC 800 bs the 850?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TS Drag Racer

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Wa. st
How do you like the AC 800 bs the 850?

The Cat is more predictable, the power is pretty equal, suspension on the Cat heading in on rutted out roads is better hands down, both side hill good the Cat maybe a little better, over all fit and finish is pretty equal, like the bar riser set up better on the 850 Cat went cheap in that area, it's not like the Cat is head and shoulders above the 850, but I would give it a slight edge to the Cat.

Out of the 3 the Polaris was my least favorite mainly because of being under powered and sled feels small I'm 6'4 245lbs, it was a tuff choice to leave Doo because I did like my 850 a lot. After doing some homework on this new Cat, I just decided to roll the dice and I'm glad I did. I don't regret my decision one bit. Anybody that's thinking about jumping ship to a Cat I'm pretty confident would be really happy with it, but as I've said before all three are very good, so it's hard to be dissapointed with any of the big three.........

Snoman 60

Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2008
72 still shredding

This is for the guys over 50. I an slowing down a little. Been on a Polaris since 93, but I am worried the Axys may be a little aggressive for my deminishing skills. I put a 174 on it and it's a ton better. Thinking about making a change the next time, probably next fall. Still got lots of riding in me. What are you riding and do is it work for you?

72 and riding a 2013 pro 163--800 will be riding a 18 next year having fun Polaris pro will make you a better rider even at 72

gonehuntnpowder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2008
Eastern Idaho
60 for a few more days and still riding. Put nearly 400 miles on in the last 5 days of deep snow mountain riding.

Didn't you tear up a knee last year from a boot caught in a running board? Did that 2 years ago. May have to have something done with it in the spring. Getting sick of limping.

H
Nov 26, 2001
Renton
This is for the guys over 50. I an slowing down a little. Been on a Polaris since 93, but I am worried the Axys may be a little aggressive for my deminishing skills. I put a 174 on it and it's a ton better. Thinking about making a change the next time, probably next fall. Still got lots of riding in me. What are you riding and do is it work for you?

I am know 56, still going strong, most days. I am on a brand new 927 summit x 165 3" and loving it. I can still ride with or out due the younger generation. My strength is not what it was years ago, so I use my experience to show them I still ride the way I want.

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
Just rode the U.P. Sunday-Wednesday. At the beginning there were a total of eight guys ages from the lower 40's, 50's to upper 60's. Tuesday was perfect with sunny skies, 28 above zero and no wind. All back country riding with no others in sight. :thumb:
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

snoballssnoglory

Lifetime Membership
Nov 20, 2008
fdea21bf-841e-431d-ba1d-186bcc74b994.jpg
Our resident senior in the group. We take him through some pretty gnarly stuff and he just keeps getting better and better. (His new sled helped as well)
As you can see he doesn’t like parking next to others. Afraid of door dings I guess?!?!
65 and killing it!

R
Dec 5, 2017
still riding

started riding at52 be 70 next month. ride a 14 m8000 sno pro limited 153, no snow in n. Az this year but heading for island park in 3 weeks. love riding and hope I never quit.

mark

Lifetime Membership
Sep 26, 2001
Wyoming
Selling out

I have been riding since I was 12 years old, started on my friends 440 Suzuki in a field beside our house. Went up to the Big Horns last week and found good snow and had a pretty good day for the first time out. On the way home I finally made the decision to get out of snowmobiling. For some reason riding is just not doing anything for me anymore, so it's time for me to exit.

See ya around
mark

Premium Features