• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

BRP Official Statement on 2017 Gen 4 sleds

M7sleddn

Lifetime Membership
Dec 11, 2007
Twin Falls, Id
The clutch heat is my main concern. I have a 154 2.5" and have not blown a belt, but my clutches are hot all the time no matter what I am in. Deep snow or on the trails. This past weekend my brother in law and i went sledding. He has a rmk pro. We were climbing the same hills and when we got to the bottom I checked his and my clutches. My primary was scalding hot. Secondary I could hold onto but it was hot. Pro primary had almost zero heat and secondary was a little warm. He added a lot of venting which I am sure helps a little. I took off all of the plastic shroud and it helps but not a lot. Other than that I love this sled.

mtncat

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2001
Wyoming
Not a bitch list!!! if I were to blow a belt I can throw my spare on and get back to the truck. if I am down in a canyon and it throws a check engine code because of a broken injector wire and the machine goes into limp mode I cant simply put a spare wire on and get back to the truck.
I think BRP would be interested in any product failures that would affect the run ability of there product as they truly do care about there customer's and the future of their company.
As far as belts go have not had one issue in 600 miles with ZRP weights loaded to 97.5 grams at 10000 ft and a floating secondary.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Good Job !!

This is what happens when your Forum Admin reaches out to the company and tries HARD to create a FRIENDLY ENVIRONMENT where the corporation feels welcome....:face-icon-small-hap

If we can KILL OFF the flame wars, you will see MORE of this and not less in the seasons to come.

Very true, Glad to see you reaching out Mr. Parrett!

I've had good success with Polaris along these lines over the years as well.
Although they have been very supportive with access, info and even forum exclusive first rides...
They have not made official posts like BRP has done here.

Steve Cowing at BRP, for me, has always been helpful and accommodating as well.

Good move for BRP to be proactive and engaging here...Kudos !!

For the forums here...
As long as spirited criticism is not squelched in the process nor confused with bashing in the 'KILL OFF'.... then we'll all be better off. :)

Last edited:
I really would like to see the removable (floating QRS) come from the factory. We all know there are build tolerance stack-ups that happen on a production sled that are not sen on a prototype. Trying to hold everything to +/-.5mm would be impossible, so we need to be realistic. Say the location on the e module where the motor mount will bolt is out by 1.5mm, then the mount itself is out by 1.5mm. Add in a clutch tolerance of .5mm and the secondary shaft bearing is out of location by 2mm. The secondary tower casting has a bow of 3° out of square, but its 8" above the tunnel so now actual bearing location is out by 3.4mm. Get where I am going...... Stack up a worst case scenario sled an dits gonna blow belts. A floating QRS can take up a majority of the build tolerance and keep the belt much cooler.

Last edited:
G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
The power of social media. From deny to an apology within 3 weeks of the questionable wobble video.
Good on you BRP. You just saved many of your dealers butts.

Ron Burgandy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 21, 2012
I really would like to see the removable (floating QRS) come from the factory. We all know there are build tolerance stack-ups that happen on a production sled that are not sen on a prototype. Trying to hold everything to +/-.5mm would be impossible, so we need to be realistic. Say the location on the e module where the motor mount will bolt is out by 1.5mm, then the mount itself is out by 1.5mm. Add in a clutch tolerance of .5mm and the secondary shaft bearing is out of location by 2mm. The secondary tower casting has a bow of 3° out of square, but its 8" above the tunnel so now actual bearing location is out by 3.4mm. Get where I am going...... Stack up a worst case scenario sled an dits gonna blow belts. A floating QRS cat take up a majority of the build tolerance and keep the belt much cooler.

X2,Just float the G-dang thing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Just wanted to share this with all of you.

This morning I got a letter from one of the corporate executives at BRP who are monitoring this "FIRST" direct interaction of the corporation with riders/enthusiasts on Social Media.

Their feeling is that this interaction has been POSITIVE so far and seems to be getting MORE POSITIVE rather than less.

They are encouraged by this, and interested in BUILDING UPON THIS going forward.

This is a GOLDEN OPPORTUNITY GUYS.

Please, treat them with respect and be courteous, rather than yelling and screaming at them. Think how FREAKING AWESOME this relationship COULD BE a year or two down the line where we could possibly have a corporate representative who comes into SnoWest on a daily basis as a source of up to date information to answer our questions and concerns and listen to our suggestions and feedback.:face-icon-small-hap

B
Feb 18, 2009
Just wanted to share this with all of you.

This morning I got a letter from one of the corporate executives at BRP who are monitoring this "FIRST" direct interaction of the corporation with riders/enthusiasts on Social Media.

Their feeling is that this interaction has been POSITIVE so far and seems to be getting MORE POSITIVE rather than less.

They are encouraged by this, and interested in BUILDING UPON THIS going forward.

This is a GOLDEN OPPORTUNITY GUYS.

Please, treat them with respect and be courteous, rather than yelling and screaming at them. Think how FREAKING AWESOME this relationship COULD BE a year or two down the line where we could possibly have a corporate representative who comes into SnoWest on a daily basis as a source of up to date information to answer our questions and concerns and listen to our suggestions and feedback.:face-icon-small-hap

Feedback has been all positive on Dootalk and no whiners demanding this or that like on Snowest. On Dootalk BRP is clearly following the thread and responding. I would suspect it has to so with the attitude and feedback...

So people if you want additional info and feedback from BRP don't act like spoiled children. This is a great thing, don't know of any other mfgs who are interacting on forums...

Last edited:
N
Apr 30, 2009
Worshington
17 working well

I have just over 1000 miles on my G4 now and it has been flawless. I am impressed with what BRP has done to create this sled. I left skidoo in 2010 and went artic cat first with the M8 and then the M8000. After 9800 miles on two sleds I have blown at least three belts per season, or roughly every 500 miles. On my G4 I have not blown a belt yet. I had one fray at over 800 miles, trimmed it back and has been good since. I am doing everything I can to break the belt but no luck yet. :face-icon-small-ton

Nice job BRP!

BTW - I like the new capacitor start idea

brpcare

SnoWest Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
May 26, 2014
Hi Christopher,
"FIRST" direct interaction of the corporation with riders/enthusiasts on Social Media.
could possibly have a corporate representative who comes into SnoWest on a daily basis as a source of up to date information to answer our questions and concerns and listen to our suggestions and feedback.
It's definitely a win-win for everyone for us to help answer questions, address issues and interact with the community here. The BRPcare team has been active on various forums for a few years, and although we only just started posting here, we've been listening to your feedback, concerns and suggestions for a while now.

Belts exploding, all dammage i covered by? Crank issues later down the rode? My sled is on the 6 belt. 3 have exploded dammaging belt cover, brackets, e module aluminium plate under clutch, footwell bracket etc.

The dealer is still the first, best point of contact to investigate any belt failure(s). Keep in mind that a belt failure on any sled is not automatically abnormal. If you believe that your specific belt(s) has failed abnormally, your first step is to work through your dealer and have them perform a diagnostic. If it’s determined that the failure was or is abnormal, the belt itself as well as consequential damage may well be covered. For any extreme situation, your dealer will contact our techs here at BRP on a case-by-case for guidance and evaluation assistance.

what about the tracks? / Will you acknowledge and upgrade bulkhead issues as well?
We'd like to keep this post specific to belt concerns. Did you have a specific issue and spoken about it with your dealer?

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
BRP... It's great to see you here!

brpcare (official BRP)

Thank you for this much needed direct 'conduit' to Valcourt resources... and for participating in our forums.

I can see that you have been following this closely on our forums as I'm sure it gives you valuable feedback even if you have to sift through all of the exaggeration and hyperbole that a public forum can produce.

The sheer number of views by the public & members through our forums, of the topics related to this issue is a good indication of SnoWest forums significance in consumer perception in your Sled Products.

Most of the owners of your BRP snow products are simple people, not concerned with the "rumor mill" but want to know that they can rely on their sleds in the backcountry. They represent a strong cross section of your sledding demographic.

In this day/age of Tweeting, FaceBook, Instagram, Forums, tapatalk and SMS... there is a whole new frontier of consumer communication beyond the dealer service network.

Just like our kids these days, your consumers are much better informed than they were even 5 or 6 years ago and turn to searches on the internet before they approach their dealership service department.

TSB’s, Dealer notices etc make it to the public often in advance of many dealers realizing there is a problem. I, for one, am glad you are not ignoring this. In my opinion (IMO), to ignore this would be counter productive to the task of improving product and customer confidence. The proverbial horse has left the barn on this subject.

IMO, this is a golden opportunity to capitalize on your newfound ability to communicate with the customer... to the extent that your liability exposure rules and business practices will allow... and engage them in a public way.

Rather than the forums being the “bane of your existence” evolve this into an opportunity that can be mutually beneficial.

The old adage of “you reap what you sow” holds true, in my opinion, here. If you as a manufacture do not maintain accurate information dissemination in the public forum then speculation will override fact in the eyes of your customer.

In the same way that BRP employees view, on daily basis, the forums to get a snapshot of customer impression rather than strictly relying on your dealers and DSM/RSM’s to give you feedback … your customers would like to be able to look to you for more direct input.

Rather than sticking to the outdated paradigm of “dealer only” communication I hope you can consider cultivating this new avenue of customer interaction.

I do believe though, that given careful consideration, social-media forums will be able to give you much better results than the traditional venues, currently in use.

Changing the “old guard”, much in the way you did by creating social media positions within BRP, may just serve you and your shareholders well and prove, in the end, be “just good business”.

Thank you for your time and consideration... It does not go unrecognized. :thumb:

Last edited:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
ABNORMAL G4-850 CVT HEAT LEVEL QUESTIONS FOR BRP.

BRP's 2018 media releases regarding improving 850 CVT heat issues (cooling fan, airflow mgmt across the CVT system etc) seem to be good additions to minimize the effect of the symptom of heat produced.

My questions for brpcare:

1)Has your engineering and production team determined the cause of the actual higher than normal CVT temperatures in the G4-850 Summit line for 2017?

2) Why do the G4-850's that are NOT problematic in terms of frequently blown belts, still have higher than normal CVT temps when compared to the ETEC 800's, and even high HP turbo versions of the ETEC 800's?

This question is related to 3 G4-850 sleds I have in my shop right now.

Last edited:

rook

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2014
Fairbanks, Alaska
I recently blew my first belt on my 850 165"/3". I have around 270 miles on the sled. The belt blew so hard that it damaged the CVT cover, and the left footwell grating. The largest remaining pieces of belt were no bigger than 1.5".

I've been following the threads here, at Dootalk, & at Snow & Mud that have lead up to this. I'm very glad that BRP is willing to communicate directly with us consumers.

I have a good relationship with my dealer and they replaced the belt free of charge. They said they would fix the footwell too.

I'm hopeful that BRP's recommendations and/or fixes will be made available to us 2017 owners so we can keep on ripping!

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
I am very disturbed that everyone seems happy to see a short letter from Doo making promises.

My sled is at the dealership with case numbers. I have yet to see any sort of actual resolution. I find it very interesting that BRP ignored my email about this until I posted it here on SW.

If I am proven wrong, I will apologize.

Last edited by a moderator:

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
I am very disturbed that everyone seems happy to see a short letter from Doo making promises.

My sled is at the dealership with case numbers. I have yet to see any sort of actual resolution. I find it very interesting that BRP ignored my email about this until I posted it here on SW.

If I am proven wrong, I will apologize.

I am happy BRP has acknowledged the issue and is looking for a solution that includes current owners not just those who have ordered 2018s.

I would be "disturbed" if BRP had just ignored the issues. Granted, the fact they have acknowledged the problem is no guarantee of a fix.
However, it is a step in the right direction.

I choose to be an optimist "until proven wrong."

Last edited by a moderator:
I think what BRP is doing here is a great thing. I assume what they are saying they will do, that is fix the 2017's and doo their best to solve issues for 2018. We will not know if they will go thru with this til next fall, and if they keep their promise they will have made such a great impact they will win over alot of people. If this is just a smoke and mirror ploy to get 2018 snowchecks, man they will have a very bleak future.

Its still in the back of my mind how many times I was told my multiple BRP contacts that there are no belt issues with XP, and to this day they will never admit it.

N
Oct 25, 2009
First and foremost I would like too give BRP a thumbs up for taking this initiative to interact with your consumer base on this and other forums.
Since we are now in the year 2017, not 1990 and the use of social media is now the norm, from this one can only assume this is a step most positively in the right direction for your corporation.
All consumers want to be heard or express themselves if issues arise. It does however become frustrating when such said issues seem to fall onto deaf ears as the saying goes. It would seem that social media seems to spotlight these issues and with time hopefully they will be resolved too suit the needs of not only the consumer but the supplier too. This can only be termed as a win win for both sides.
In my opinion instead of being Retroactive, a more Proactive approach should be considered from here forward.
As seen by your response here and the responses replied it is definitely a step in the right direction.
I hope this reflects onto your future business models and the proper fix for the MY17 models affected is forthcoming sooner than later.
Thanks

2Thetopp

Lifetime Membership
Its still in the back of my mind how many times I was told my multiple BRP contacts that there are no belt issues with XP, and to this day they will never admit it.

I don't own a G4, but did own an 08 XP, heard about belt issues so I bought three extra belts plus the spare that I carried on my sled just in case. 3,200 miles on two belts, some did not have problems. Ok, had a little help from Dynamoe Joe! Roosterbuilt on my XM, there's always a fix! Good on Brp for stepping up, if they don't, don't forget about the little guys, they're pretty good!

Ranzou

Lifetime Membership
Mar 16, 2013
Thank you BRP for acknowledging the concerns.

I have over 650 miles on my MY2017 G4 Summit and have not had any belt or bulkhead problems. Loving my sled and how well it works.

I would like make a request that future models come with 1 1/8" handlebars. The stock ones didn't last long.

M
Oct 5, 2014
Dumb question here, but did the demo/protype 850's last year have belt issues, dont remember hearing anything about it? If not what was changed between demo/prototype and production? Thnx

Premium Features