• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Rev Gen 4 2018.

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
Axys has been out climbing 850 all year I've seen this first hand all year 1000 plus miles. 850 has more power but doesn't get on top on snow as fast, with all the mechanical failures 850 seems like an epic fail glad I didn't buy one

"Epic fail?" Hyperbole is not a substitute for fact.

Ski-doo#1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2011
GreatWhiteNorth
Are you Doo boys reading this? I want the G4 to succeed too (good for the sport) but to get beat by a sled 50 cc smaller and 15 hp less, that is downright embarrassing. The other points are good too.

Just to be clear the "50 cc" extra from the 850 was not meant to make power. With the same exact bore, but a longer stroke it was meant to make torque. Bigger bores make power, hence "Big Bore Kits" Ski-doo still managed getting 5 extra horse out of it than the 800 E-TEC. People who are all excited that the extra 50 from the 850 isn't doing anything need to understand it wasn't supposed to aid the power.

So it brought torque, which brings responsiveness, plus better clutching system to the track, plus better traction. Wow look at that. No more wondering why this thing is so good.

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
Yes, this motor needs to be loaded and the stock clutching leaves a bunch of top end on the table so does the Gearing.

If you are looking to do drag races you need a bit of fine tuning everything you need to dominate is there just needs a bit of Massaging to be all it can be.

Now all that said I want a new frond end with a single 12" ski up front super narrow running boards.

Snow-bike ? No, a stand up Jet-ski for snow :face-icon-small-hap Yeah baby that will be the next step.

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
Axys has been out climbing 850 all year I've seen this first hand all year 1000 plus miles. 850 has more power but doesn't get on top on snow as fast, with all the mechanical failures 850 seems like an epic fail glad I didn't buy one

Lmao. What a crock of crap. I had an axys rider today ask me if my 850 was turboed. When I told him it was stock except the can and clutching, he was surprised because "it sure runs like a turbo sled". His words not mine.

KingCon

Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2016
To say that Doo put an extra 50cc's just for torque? I don't buy that at all. Factories make bigger motors for more top end. Buyers think bigger motors are going to pull that much harder.

I am snow checking this spring, and yes I ride a Cat right now. A couple of weeks back, my buddies and I took out a 17' Doo 850 and a 17' Axys. Yes the Doo does have a little more power than the Axys but all of us can admit that it is not that much. Yes the Doo does have a stronger midrange and top end, but the Axys feels every bit as good on the bottom end. Is it the clutching? Is is that the Axys rides lighter? Whoever says it "smokes" an Axys just isn't being truthful with themselves.

Yes, I will probably snow check a Doo, for one reason only. I HATE the Poo running boards!!! When you have a size 13 boot, they are just too narrow. That is how close these two sleds are in my honest opinion. I expected this Doo to kill the Axys but it is actually very close.

The Poo seems like it is going to power out, but just seems to find the power to keep going. The Doo seems to just want to scream, but seems to trench more.

As for 18' changes, I would like to see the following.
1. Angle the gauge to face the rider, I personally like to keep an eye on my RPM's, etc.
2. Fix the clutching issues.
3. Fix the S and E module/Bulkhead issues.

I know everyone will scream, but this is a truthful opinion.

B
Feb 18, 2009

Anyone else smell that stink? The **** is getting REAL DEEP!

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I don't understand hating narrow running boards. If you don't like them you don't like them. I mainly ride on the outside edge anyway. My boots are size 12. You don't need 1 foot wide boards if the traction is good. There is a reason they are that narrow. The 850 would go through the snow better if they were that narrow. I guess I always thought Polaris boards were the best.

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
Started first pull everytime!!
No boging ever!!
Pro's and axys barely started on cold mornings, and were plagued with bogging and cutting out all week..

I cannot comment on anything you said but the quoted statement above.

I know cold starts, as I've never kept my sleds in a heated garage prior to riding. We are in the -30s (celcius) for a long time, usually end of December to end of February it can go as low as -40 in the night time and warm up to -20 during the day, with a freak really warm (-10 to -15) spell every so often..

I've never seen a Pro or Axys hard to start in cold temps. In fact I had 2 800etecs not start a couple times that were parked right next to a Pro ride 800 that started 2nd-3rd pull every time.

I have yet to have an issue with starting my 800 axys in cold temps. twice this winter I've started it at -30 and it was a little boggy, and even fouled the plugs both times. but at least it started..

My 800 etecs were great the first year for starting in the cold, every year after was terrible.. I've heard it is from the build up of condensation.. not sure though..

S
Jan 28, 2015
Lmao. What a crock of crap. I had an axys rider today ask me if my 850 was turboed. When I told him it was stock except the can and clutching, he was surprised because "it sure runs like a turbo sled". His words not mine.

My 16 800 etec outpulls the stock 850s I ride with so why wouldn't an axys. The 850 is a nice sled but it not groundbreaking!!! And my 800 is stock other then a bit of pin weight in the clutch.

D

deaner

Nov 26, 2007
Creston, BC
Just to clarify
165X 3"
@ 120 miles 60% breakin left 1000 feet elevation, black secondary, pin weight 23grams "goodwin kit" max rpm 8100
drag racing on the trail
A 2015 174 walked away from me from a rolling start several times

@ 280 miles 6% break-in left snowy's 8000k'ish, black secondary, 20gram pin weight max rpm 8100 drag racing on trail
A 2016 163 axys neck and neck from dead stop till 50-60 then walked away from me
My max mph recall 77

I spend most of my time in tight tree's
So no real climbing to compare these sleds
Snow was very good in snowy's couple weeks back, anything steep we stayed off of.

Still on original belt, deflection set perfectly, primary looks like it was on fire at sometime... clutches after 1 week of riding look like they are 2 years old..
Primary clutch issues would be my best guess?
Had to tighten chain almost every ride
"Clunk"

On a HUGE positive
This sled is VERY easy to ride all day long, no fatigue at all even after a week of riding hard!
Steering effort WAY easier than Pro and Axys.
It goes anywhere! Climbing power and control are Simply awesome!
Started first pull everytime!!
No boging ever!!
Pro's and axys barely started on cold mornings, and were plagued with bogging and cutting out all week..

It took a beating! My front bumper and A-arms have a coating of bark!
Wedged inbetween 2 big trees..
Running board should have cracked but didnt.
Hit a fence post full throttle on a climb
Over the bars.. a-arm and skid plate hit,
No damage
Hit quite a few boulders under the snow..
No damage..
I'm that guy that finds all the hidden things and destroys A-arms and bulkheads..
So far so good for me!
Sorry for all the peeps out there with issues!
Hang in there!

You either have a dry sense of humor or a slight case of retardation. Your basing your "dusting" on a drag race on the trail.....between mountain sleds?? Guess what bro.....a 1995 indy 500 will "dust" both of them on the trail.

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
My 16 800 etec outpulls the stock 850s I ride with so why wouldn't an axys. The 850 is a nice sled but it not groundbreaking!!! And my 800 is stock other then a bit of pin weight in the clutch.

If your xm pulls away from an 850, that is a piss poor running 850. And the same goes if an axys pulls away from an 850. Maybe the stock clutching in an 850 is really that bad but I've never ridden stock clutching so I wouldn't know.

S

Slick

Nov 26, 2007
You either have a dry sense of humor or a slight case of retardation. Your basing your "dusting" on a drag race on the trail.....between mountain sleds?? Guess what bro.....a 1995 indy 500 will "dust" both of them on the trail.

The're not racing a indy 500 , they're racing each other , seems like a good comparison , if you're comparing drag racing . You should also line them up on a climb, see how they'd do , i bet they both beat the indy 500.

S

Slick

Nov 26, 2007
Lol. The 850 is succeeding and in my opinion, dominating. I have yet to see an axys dust an 850. If you compare completely stock sleds, it comes down to who's the better rider, the axys rider has to be a better rider than the 850 rider to keep up. People can't seem to believe how good it goes until they see it with their own eyes.

Lol. Heres one the reasons they need the extra 50 cc's, the snow build up is absolutely brutal compared to cat and axys. 2 of these were on saturday 2 on sunday , snow was a bit different consistency but same result.

IMG_0487.jpg IMG_0485.jpg IMG_0470.jpg IMG_0471.jpg

S
Jan 28, 2015
If your xm pulls away from an 850, that is a piss poor running 850. And the same goes if an axys pulls away from an 850. Maybe the stock clutching in an 850 is really that bad but I've never ridden stock clutching so I wouldn't know.

850s run fine no doubt they feel quicker reving due to new clutch and track but not enough of a change to get off my XM. The 850 is nice ride and as long as your happy that's all that matters but I am not convinced it is the best sled out there. The 850 does hold an edge better! All the new sleds have an advantage over one another in different areas.

S
Jan 28, 2015
Back on topic hoping for 900 ace turbo for 2018. Wife's sled and Sea-Doo have that motor it's amazing, just needs a little boost. Before everyone gets upset about 4 stroke weight do your research that motor is light. Weighs the same a 600 etec with estart in a renny!! 477 for 600 etec +25 pounds for estart is 502 and 900 ace is 503. Don't try and tell me estart isn't 25 pounds because I have done my research and know the real weight penalty to estart and am happy to haul the extra weight around.

Premium Features