• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Major Problems with new G 4

sledhead9825

Lifetime Membership
Nov 4, 2013
I honestly was just hoping Norona would like my post... Why hasn't anyone posted about a broken bulkhead recently??? There must be too much snow to break one ?
Doorona started a new thread yesterday. Sled skiing?? Maybe he's waiting for parts /

S
Jun 9, 2011
Idaho Falls
Do you know how they fixed your buddy's heat exchanger?

Yes. We got it back to the trailer, got it nice and warm inside and used marine grade JB weld. It worked great. We left the small rock lodged in the heat exchanger and put the JB weld around it.
Someone should come up with a guard to protect the front heat exchanger. Although it doesn't happen often but the heat exchanger can be easily punctured on the skidoo. I had another friend total his sled from a rock going through the heat exchanger and into the air box.

N

NWaxys

Feb 28, 2016
Eastern WA back country
The 850 a great intermediate sled or begainer sled? Lol guess the xm was for kids. ( even though I hate xm so bad I can't look at them) the 850 is a legit mountain sled and deff not for someone just learning. I'm not brand loyal I fact I own a boosted axys and a 165" 850 w some goodies. Of course my axys on boost spanks pretty much why sled that's stock. I will tell you if I'm buying a sled to stay stock I'd take the 850..... Rasmussen is just starting out too prob why him and Jenkins and mcnolty all ride G4, just learning the ropes

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
Do you know how they fixed your buddy's heat exchanger?

Yes. We got it back to the trailer, got it nice and warm inside and used marine grade JB weld. It worked great. We left the small rock lodged in the heat exchanger and put the JB weld around it.
Someone should come up with a guard to protect the front heat exchanger. Although it doesn't happen often but the heat exchanger can be easily punctured on the skidoo. I had another friend total his sled from a rock going through the heat exchanger and into the air box.

Had the same thing happen to a friends Yamaha -- if it can reck a Yamaha:face-icon-small-dis it can happen to any sled ,there is no reasonable way to protect against that unless you want to ride a 700 pound tank.

Wapow

Premium Member
Dec 4, 2007
The 850 a great intermediate sled or begainer sled? Lol guess the xm was for kids. ( even though I hate xm so bad I can't look at them) the 850 is a legit mountain sled and deff not for someone just learning. I'm not brand loyal I fact I own a boosted axys and a 165" 850 w some goodies. Of course my axys on boost spanks pretty much why sled that's stock. I will tell you if I'm buying a sled to stay stock I'd take the 850..... Rasmussen is just starting out too prob why him and Jenkins and mcnolty all ride G4, just learning the ropes

Ha! Some of the reasons that it works great for experts apply equally to beginners. This sled will make most riders better out of the box.

S
Jun 9, 2011
Idaho Falls

I meant that in a good way. There's a guy I ride with from time to time that bought a 850, and he rides it so well. His old sled was a 2008 m8....it was tough riding with him, but now he goes everywhere we go with ease on his 850. A beginner will have a much easier time riding an 850 over say an older sled or even a 4stroke. I think you would agree with me on that. I like said, I meant it in a good way.

S
Jun 9, 2011
Idaho Falls
Had the same thing happen to a friends Yamaha -- if it can reck a Yamaha:face-icon-small-dis it can happen to any sled ,there is no reasonable way to protect against that unless you want to ride a 700 pound tank.

Yes it can happen to any sled, but in this case I'm sure the rock that lodged into my friends sled wouldn't have had the same impacted to a cat heat exchanger. They are designed different. Any sled can be damage it all depends on how hard you hit something or how fast your sled comes to stop. The bulkhead on the skidoo aren't engineered with a lot of strength period. Can you brake a bulkhead on the other sleds yes.... some easier than others. Not bashing. I like the 850. It's fun to ride and well thought out.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
My friend put a rock into his front heat exchanger.....ending the day early. Two days later he broke his brake reservior off....ending the day early. Another day he kept getting stuck because the snow was to deep for his Gen4....didn't end the day early but made it very long and tiring. He also blew a belt after 120km good thing he had an extra $150 belt. He likes hitting trees so we're just waiting for him to brake that strong bulkhead. They are great sleds and super fun to ride. If my wife liked to ride I would probably buy one for her. They're great for beginners and women. I'm looking forward to the release of the 2018. Hopefully, we'll see a factory turbo and stronger bulkhead. Who would buy a factory turbo gen 4? I'm in.

Hopefully you can get out on the snow enough this year to reach the level of a beginner or as a woman so you will be good enough to ride one next year ?

S
Jun 9, 2011
Idaho Falls
Hopefully you can get out on the snow enough this year to reach the level of a beginner or as a woman so you will be good enough to ride one next year ?

Do you ride Mount Baker? I haven't but would love to. I heard it gets a lot of snow but has low light most of the time. This has been a great year.
Once again I meant that as a complement. What sled would you recommend for someone that's looking to get into snowmobiling? What sled is the easiest to ride and what sled is the most difficult to ride in the mountains?
I've read what people write on these forums say, "if you ride this sled or another sled you'll become a better rider". Can someone please tell me how?
My friend that just bought a 850 can go places on this sled that he can't with his m8. So, if he rides the 850 enough he should be able to get back on the m8 and go places he once couldn't.....right because he's a better rider. IMO great riders can ride any sled and any condition.

R
Dec 12, 2007
Orting, WA
Cooler

The cooler is only .040 thick. Riding early in the year and especially spring riding is going to be hard on the G4 coolers. I saw one busted at a shop earlier in the season. It was welded up then a piece of .060 was custom bent to match the shape of the front cooler and that piece was welded to the front cooler.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
The cooler is only .040 thick. Riding early in the year and especially spring riding is going to be hard on the G4 coolers. I saw one busted at a shop earlier in the season. It was welded up then a piece of .060 was custom bent to match the shape of the front cooler and that piece was welded to the front cooler.

.040 seems crazy light..
This is not a component that I would prefer lightweight over durable.

I remember when the Liquifire came out, a JD rep came around to dealerships with a heat exchanger and you could beat on it with a hammer to show how durable it was. (yeah, I am that old ha ha)
Yes, the first gen Liquifire was a heavy beast, but my point is that there are a few components that should be the strongest link, not the weakest link.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
After reading about the new gen 4, here is what I would want....
An option that came with slightly heavier bulkhead and components and heat exchanger and serious chaincase protection.
If these items come at a 10# penalty, I can live with that.

And why don't they just come with skid plate as standard equipment?

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
An option that came with slightly heavier bulkhead and components and heat exchanger and serious chaincase protection.

They could never please everyone. I have never ran a skid plate on anyone of my sleds and never intend to. I am all for making the sled as light as possible. I've never put brace kits on my sleds because I feel if I crash into something and it breaks it my fault. As of right now with probably around 700 miles on the G4 my only complaint has been the running boards but I am going to change those when an option becomes available. Ski Doo is going to try and cater to who they think is going to buy the sleds. And being that I have bought 8 Doo's in the past 5 years I think they catered to the right person :face-icon-small-coo

SASKTOOLMAN

Premium Member
Dec 18, 2013
CANADA

Heavier and stronger..... wait for a Freeride next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B
Feb 18, 2009
They could never please everyone. I have never ran a skid plate on anyone of my sleds and never intend to. I am all for making the sled as light as possible. I've never put brace kits on my sleds because I feel if I crash into something and it breaks it my fault. As of right now with probably around 700 miles on the G4 my only complaint has been the running boards but I am going to change those when an option becomes available. Ski Doo is going to try and cater to who they think is going to buy the sleds. And being that I have bought 8 Doo's in the past 5 years I think they catered to the right person :face-icon-small-coo

So let me understand this right. You are happy that they blukhead is weak and you don't think Doo should do anything about it? There is reasonable level of abuse and hits that a mountain sled should be able to take and the G4 is clearly not there!

I've been planing to purchase a 2018 since the 2017 announcement but honestly if they don't improve the bulkhead I just can't do it. **** happens and right now it does not take much to ruin a trip and ring up thousands of dollars in damage. This is not a problem on the Cat's or Polaris's and the latter is lighter so it's certainly possible to make stronger and lighter weight. I'll gladly take 5-10lbs extra to make it more durable.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
So let me understand this right. You are happy that they blukhead is weak and you don't think Doo should do anything about it? There is reasonable level of abuse and hits that a mountain sled should be able to take and the G4 is clearly not there!

I've been planing to purchase a 2018 since the 2017 announcement but honestly if they don't improve the bulkhead I just can't do it. **** happens and right now it does not take much to ruin a trip and ring up thousands of dollars in damage. This is not a problem on the Cat's or Polaris's and the latter is lighter so it's certainly possible to make stronger and lighter weight. I'll gladly take 5-10lbs extra to make it more durable.

The bulkhead is only weak for those who like to crash into stuff. I stay on the groomed trails so I never hit stuff.

Premium Features