• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Summit 850: Ratchet, Slap, Rocks and Carnage!!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I was coming here to post the same thing... we left our sleds out for a couple nights and only got shorts rides the following days so we didn't thaw them out... started to get some pretty serious paddle rub on something (assumed it was ice after looking) and let the sleds thaw in the shop overnight and the problem went away. I've had this happen on basically every skidoo I've owned... have ridden them for days with it happening and no noticeable wear attributable to the ice.

Its quite possible BOTH were going on at the same time.
At the end of the day I felt the paddle slap again, but I thought it might be the result of the track having come lose which is why I was hearing the ratcheting.

I am lost at this point.

The sled is still FROZEN.
I left it in the trailer and did NOT thaw it out so the tech will get it in the exact same state as when I packed it up Saturday Night.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
While anything is possible, there was NO ratcheting if I was crawling the sled, but the more power I put to the track through the engine the more I heard what i "Thought" was the driver spinning against the track, and it was LOUD enough that everyone around me could clearly hear it. The feeling of Paddle Slap was very different from this..

If the track is ratcheting the bars and boards will vibarate, almost violently. It results in alot more than just noise, based on my experiences with it.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
If your track was tight, and the problem got worse it has to be your chain slipping and gears getting stripped I would think.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
If your track was tight, and the problem got worse it has to be your chain slipping and gears getting stripped I would think.
that is now my fear as well.
Will know in 12 hours...

Oh the joys of starting all over again in sledding. :face-icon-small-hap

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Maybe this will make u feel better,
Could be a broken drive shaft?
Friend drove his sled 8miles back to the truck with the shaft broke in half, didn't make noise below 20mph.

GS6

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
that is now my fear as well.
Will know in 12 hours...

Oh the joys of starting all over again in sledding. :face-icon-small-hap

Good news is that would be a relatively cheap easy fix I would think, and possibly covered by warranty (no idea since you adjusted it and not sure if they recommend tightening it to a certain spec after x miles) ORRRR a good excuse to get a belt drive.

M
Apr 24, 2016
Yukon
While anything is possible, there was NO ratcheting if I was crawling the sled, but the more power I put to the track through the engine the more I heard what i "Thought" was the driver spinning against the track, and it was LOUD enough that everyone around me could clearly hear it. The feeling of Paddle Slap was very different from this..

That's something that I definitely did not have while riding... you could definitely hear it while riding slow and obviously didn't sound at all like what you're experiencing.

DITCHBANGER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Did you tweak your rails on the ride out? If they bent a 1/4 inch your track will ratchet

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
8f8d358675b5ea74025a0ee114b05d26.jpg

Lots of ice in the tunnel

Premium Features