• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Ski-Doo 2017 Rev G4 Belt Issues Read This!

Status
Not open for further replies.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Can you just pull all of the plastic from the cover and put the belt in your pack? Or does the oil tank become vulnerable?

H

HANDSOME

Nov 28, 2007
Pouce Coupe
I personally would be looking at what is creating the belt heat. Gearing, clutching, belt alignment etc. To me, pulling felting and having to put holes in everything is wrong for a new $15000 sled. Scuffing the clutches and belt and any cleaning is good.

T

tar

Nov 26, 2007
Sumas WA
I was looking at my 850 and noticed the side panel fits around the clutch guard so tight I don't think cutting holes in the guard will do much for air circulation. May have to put vents in the panel around the clutch guard area to let the hot air outside.
My 2 cents Tar

I personally would be looking at what is creating the belt heat. Gearing, clutching, belt alignment etc. To me, pulling felting and having to put holes in everything is wrong for a new $15000 sled. Scuffing the clutches and belt and any cleaning is good.
This is a total replay of 2008/09. Venting/cover mods/gearing/clutching are all band aids. Each one will help in small amounts and a full combination of above will almost work, but bottom line is heat is generated from alignment. You can never have perfect alignment in entire rpm range when you have solid secondary. Motor and chassis flex under different loads and conditions. How many guys you hear that did a floating secondary and still blow belts?

P

pfi572

Nov 29, 2009
North West Alberta
This is a total replay of 2008/09. Venting/cover mods/gearing/clutching are all band aids. Each one will help in small amounts and a full combination of above will almost work, but bottom line is heat is generated from alignment. You can never have perfect alignment in entire rpm range when you have solid secondary. Motor and chassis flex under different loads and conditions. How many guys you hear that did a floating secondary and still blow belts?

Alignment can be one of the problems but I wouldn't say that is the problem completely.
Heat is slippage, and that can be a combination of a few things.
And yes you can achieve this with out a floating secondary.
Have for years. Lol

Alignment can be one of the problems but I wouldn't say that is the problem completely.
Heat is slippage, and that can be a combination of a few things.
And yes you can achieve this with out a floating secondary.
Have for years. Lol
I see you your signature you have a 2012 XM. As I said above, the 12s have longer secondary shaft. Very few 2012+ summits had issues. If you have a pre 12 your alignment is off, guaranteed. I have never seen one that is in. If you have belts last thousands of miles on an XP, hats off to you.

Last edited:
P

pfi572

Nov 29, 2009
North West Alberta
I see you your signature you have a 2012 XM. As I said above, the 12s have longer secondary shaft. Very few 2012+ summits had issues. If you have a pre 12 your alignment is off, guaranteed. I have never seen one that is in. If you have belts last thousands of miles on an XP, hats off to you.

Had 2008 , 2010 ,2012 and now 2016.
Never have wreck a belt on any of them with lots of miles and big tracks.
Learned years ago to use clutches that work and transfer them ? Lol
Keeps things simple and no issues .
Secondary has never been floated on any of them.

Learned years ago to use clutches that work and transfer them ? Lol

So you were not using a stock clutch setup? Then that makes sense. Anyone that says the XP did not have a belt issue is in denial. Seems to be all to common with the Doo folks (which I am) that they never wanna admit there is a problem with their loyal brand. I have run into ppl that swear they have zero belt issues (but replace a belt every 750 miles) look at their alignment and tell they they are out. Give them a kit and the belt last 1000's of miles. I for one fell for the "there are no belt issues with XP's" and bought one. 100 miles I would get outta a belt. On top of puddles of coolant, bad fuel gauge, ****ty heated grips, etc.... The sled was a pile BUT it always started. Something I see my Cat and Poo guys struggle with. But with the XP disaster, I will wait a few yrs to buy one. Been there, done that.

P

pfi572

Nov 29, 2009
North West Alberta
First year sleds are always trouble.
Never again for me either as have fell into that pit a couple times. Lol
Last year before model change seems to be the best and the cheapest.

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
Truth to that I feel as well, had a few first year sleds.. first year Xp, first year Etec, always a few bugs to work out, that r&d overlooked.. no different in trucks, tractors, combines...

Now saying that, the only reason I never did the G4 was for the track.. sure look strong thou..

Wapow

Premium Member
Dec 4, 2007
I had an '08 XP that went in for warranty work way too many times in the first season (two failed driveshafts!). And I too vowed to never again buy a first year sled. I was dead set on getting a '16 holdover T3, but then I rode one for the first time two weekends ago, and came away thinking it wasn't much different than my current sled ('09 XP modded to full XM chassis). So, I started looking at other options and wound up buying a G4. The hype and real world ride reports got me believing that the improvements over the T3 were worth the extra cost and first year sled gamble. The XP had similar hype, but it didn't deliver. After one ride, I can confirm that this rig does. I'd read a bunch of comments about the G4's throttle response, but they didn't do it justice. I was trading back and forth with an XM and the G4 is just way more fun to ride. The XM feels like a 600 in comparison. I'm really glad I didn't buy a holdover T3 (at least for now).

Summit74

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
bozeman, mt
After trimming the bottom of the clutch cover, I feel in need something to keep snow out of the footwell on the clutch side. Anyone else come up with something to keep snow from being kicked through into the clutch compartment.

Vertical-Extreme

Lifetime Membership
Sep 15, 2008
Airdrie, Alberta
www.airdriejudo.ca
Expert advise lol. Hey guys take your brand new sleds, rip **** off
And cut / drill holes all over them until we actually figure out whats wrong with them.... Nice work skidoo. At least in 2012 cat was giving away free belts like candy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I

i'llDooit

Nov 27, 2007
Duvall washington
In cats situation, it was an out of spec part from a vendor that supplied it. Some were good parts from a different vendor but the ones that were bad had people modifying braces and vents to fix a problem.... Good luck. Not sure if that is the case with the G4 though... I think I'm finally gonna rip out all the foam on my 16 t3... Water drippage on clutches no beneu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Premium Features