• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

WHAT will you mod first on your new Gen4 ?

S

snowmobiler

Nov 26, 2001
heres a good pic of standing forward.if you stood farther back it might wheelie and roll down the hill.LOL:face-icon-small-coo

B&M Fabrications

SnoWest Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Aug 3, 2011
North Branch, MN
www.bmfabrications.com
So as of TODAY, are there ANY vendors that have a set of boards ready to rock and roll for the Gen4 ?
Negative as far as I know. All the demos were a bit different and I don't want to gamble on that even if I could get my hands on one. Others could be building off of dimensions or demos I guess, nothing like having the real thing sitting here though.

Bryan

D
Sep 10, 2014
Way to wide!

I took 3" off both sides of my XM.
Not a single complaint from anyone that rode it, but they couldn't figure out how in the heck just boards made e that sled so good.

How do you feel the t-motion and flex edge track works for you with narrow boards?

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
Worked fine with the boards out of the way, I could go either way but would rather have a 3" powerclaw.

The biggest thing was it needed rear skid down pressure. When you can hold that step of a line and tail squats it wants to climb instead of cutting across the hill. With pressure it is easier to control the sidehill. But with wide boards the squat helps wheelie and lift the boards out, so it's a good thing on stock boards but a bad thing once you open the potential with narrow boards.

Also, being able to hold a line that steep it could use s some more steering when counter steering on a steep hill. You can hold a hill steep enough with the ski at full lock but the are still pointing up, you want them to be able to go horizontal and maybe a little more.

My cat would go past 60* which looks like 90.

D
Sep 10, 2014
Yeah, i totally agree with you that narrow boards is the way to go as far as technical riding goes!

Last winter i rode a Axys pro 155" 3" and i also have a T3 174. And the first thing i noticed when jumping back on the t3 trying to play in the same technical terrain as with my axys, is the big amount of drag the wide boards create on the xm-chassis. With the wide boards the snow pressure under the belly pan and the boards just lifts your skis up from the snow, and the track tends to push the sled the way your boards point (in most cases up/climbing)

The first years with the xm i was convinced that "washout" was created by the tmotion and flexedge track, but after a year on the narrow axys chassis im possitive that a narrow belly pan and boards are essential for a deep snow sled!

The drag is reduced significantly and the skis can do their job as their supposed to do.

And thas why im a bit disappointed about ski-doo not putting narrow boards on their new deep snow toy.
And i agree about more steering to get the front end down also would make it quite a bit better in the tech terrain.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qpL0iG9TzmI
At 1.24 you can see the boards drag, lifts the skis and the track is pussing the sled the same direction as the running boards are pointing.

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Yeah, i totally agree with you that narrow boards is the way to go as far as technical riding goes!

Last winter i rode a Axys pro 155" 3" and i also have a T3 174. And the first thing i noticed when jumping back on the t3 trying to play in the same technical terrain as with my axys, is the big amount of drag the wide boards create on the xm-chassis. With the wide boards the snow pressure under the belly pan and the boards just lifts your skis up from the snow, and the track tends to push the sled the way your boards point (in most cases up/climbing)

The first years with the xm i was convinced that "washout" was created by the tmotion and flexedge track, but after a year on the narrow axys chassis im possitive that a narrow belly pan and boards are essential for a deep snow sled!

The drag is reduced significantly and the skis can do their job as their supposed to do.

And thas why im a bit disappointed about ski-doo not putting narrow boards on their new deep snow toy.
And i agree about more steering to get the front end down also would make it quite a bit better in the tech terrain.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qpL0iG9TzmI
At 1.24 you can see the boards drag, lifts the skis and the track is pussing the sled the same direction as the running boards are pointing.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/qpL0iG9TzmI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Yep, only option is to wash, correct, wash correct, or jump back and wheelie across the hill. Not the best way to ride technical terrain.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjSw3D9C3nw
This was in 15 on my 14.
They key thing to watch is how I never once jerk the sled or throw my body weight. Everything is done with throttle, brake and counter steering. The hill is much steeper than it appears.

My 16 and XM I built would have made it look even easier

Last edited:

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Yep, only option is to wash, correct, wash correct, or jump back and wheelie across the hill. Not the best way to ride technical terrain.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjSw3D9C3nw
This was in 15 on my 14.
They key thing to watch is how I never once jerk the sled or throw my body weight. Everything is done with throttle, brake and counter steering. The hill is much steeper than it appears.

My 16 and XM I built would have made it look even easier

Forgot the link, fixed it

N

NWaxys

Feb 28, 2016
Eastern WA back country
Bm fab boards, speed shop Inc clutching and helix, Zbroz/exit shocks and springs, silber turbo? Maybe start w all but turbo first. Already has big bore power prob change the bars and riser set up... Not a fan of huge risers rather be close to the sled and it's weight.

Last edited:
Premium Features