• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

not impressed with the 2017 so far.

G

Gobig510

Nov 26, 2010
Colorado
I pull 8100 in any condition from 6000 to 10,000' in my Cat .... No clicker adjustment required weather I'm riding hard pack, deep snow, spring slush or pulling big hills.

I guess Poo, Cat, Yam have got all wrong. Perhaps Team Cutches don't have it right either .... Oh Shiz if you own a MXZ and you want to ride at 6000' you better stay at home because you have to have clickers to adjust for elevation.

Tuning your clutch the old fashion way with proper fly weights and springs works best for me .:face-icon-small-hap

DPG

8100 all the time, I'm envious! I must have purchased non-doo sleds with defective clutching. Other manufacturers don't have it wrong, skidoo just added a nice little feature to make sledding just a bit easier. But since it is doo it sucks.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
I pull 8100 in any condition from 6000 to 10,000' in my Cat .... No clicker adjustment required weather I'm riding hard pack, deep snow, spring slush or pulling big hills.

I guess Poo, Cat, Yam have got all wrong. Perhaps Team Cutches don't have it right either .... Oh Shiz if you own a MXZ and you want to ride at 6000' you better stay at home because you have to have clickers to adjust for elevation.

Tuning your clutch the old fashion way with proper fly weights and springs works best for me .:face-icon-small-hap

DPG

So are you saying you never have to adjust/change your primary weights and or spring to obtain the same RPM in all those conditions and elevations, or are you simply saying you don't need Ski-Doo clickers to adjust because you can change your weights the ol' fashioned way?

If you claim the first you must be riding a boosted 4 stroke or are full of it. If not you better keep that sled forever!

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY

DPG

Lmoa. Maybe you shoulda quit while you still sounded like you knew what you were talking about.

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
Norona cleared a few facts up in his Facebook live feed..

Dave Also said that when he was climbing with the etec 850cc 165 up a deep and steep hill he then tried with the older 174 800 etec and he could not even make the same climb in the 850cc sled marks.. That is a hugggge difference

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7Yju0uLgwQ

Ummm. . . i think that is a HUGGGGGEE trench if a 174 cant climb in the "sled marks" of the 850. I was hoping the new doo wouldn't trench so badly with the new chassis . . .bummer for sure :(

I am pretty sure Dave would never "massage" the facts or embellish the truth :)

G

Gobig510

Nov 26, 2010
Colorado
Ummm. . . i think that is a HUGGGGGEE trench if a 174 cant climb in the "sled marks" of the 850. I was hoping the new doo wouldn't trench so badly with the new chassis . . .bummer for sure :(

If it goes more places than the other sleds, who cares what the trench looks like. Maybe the 850 trenches will be like grizzly bear tracks, signaling a "beware, this is 850 territory" to non-850 users. :face-icon-small-ton

In all reality the 850 looks cool, and I hope it kicks a**, but probably won't be much different than the other 2016-2017 sleds.

F

freekweet mods

Feb 3, 2008
The new clutch will be a noticeable improvement over the tra mostly because of shift force characteristics.Maintaining the adjustable clickers just made it that much better.

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
Few questions..

If a poo primary is good from 2000 feet to 10000 feet with out adjusting anything on your primary.. What is that telling you??

If Your n/a motor just lost 27 percent it's hp and your still able to hold your max rpm, and make you feel great..

Now Is that primary the you really are after for maximum hp to your track or is it maybe a real good primary to keep all levels of that loss of power acceptable to the rider

Now what primary would you be after to maintain max hp.. One that you can fine tune to the exact hp your sled is making at elevation or one that works ok for all hp your sled could make threw the day?

I got told this a few years back from a clutching guru that's on this fourm and makes bigggggggg power through the his racing career

Made me a satisfied customer when I over rev a bit at the parking lot, but know all hp is at the track at the elevation I do all my riding at

edgey

Premium Member
Jul 9, 2001
U are a idiot the poo clutch needs to have the weights changed every 3-4000' of elevation.

80.4 mm stroke 7900 redline n 165hp?

80.4mm stroke n a 7900 max rpm?
engagement at 3800?
who can name the last two mountain sleds with a 80mm stroke?

one was a 9
one was a 7
was there any issues with them?

also why did they just admit that the 2016 800 is really only 155hp?

or like dynotech research said it was

NOT A GAME CHANGER not even close!

bummer was hoping they'd raise the bar again

and we'd see more from yam cat n Po guess not

but if you like it then ride it n have fun

i'll Pass

guess well see em at arcticman

see if they're better than the 2016's

think snow n ride it

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I love my cat but it will over Rev a few hundred at 3-4k and spot on at 6-7k.
Kwick clickers would be nice

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com

I mearly say what I see, I don't need to make things up, I have a 154, 163 and 174 in the garage and am on my 174 pretty much all the time, love it, the gen4 165 is better, when the 174 gets the upgrade it will be king once again. Every year this happens, people say we lie cheat and steal then when they ride them all is forgotten, I have been doing this for over 25 years and have not lied or stretched to truth yet, which is why i still am doing what I am doing, I understand people need to see for themselves, and that is good, and you will enjoy this sled! I get to see the other side and it is amazing to see the passion and work that went into this...

M

Mr Nasty

Nov 26, 2007
Anchorage, alaska
Geezez h does no one read anything ?!? DOO NEVER CLAIMED THE FRIKN THING HAD 163 .... DYNOTECH DID !!!!!

Well when doo kind of promotes it as 163.9* on their website they are kind of claiming it. Although if you read the small print it says it was done by someone else. Maybe they should have gotten it dynoed by the "third party" befored they released the new rides.
I never saw where doo only claimed 155 from their dyno anywhere. That's misleading the consumer.

I still see a black 165 X in my future though....a freeride blue and green in a X would be better though.

Last edited:
S

sportsterdanne

May 3, 2011
Not impressed with 2017 ?
What would would they have to do different to make it impressive then ?
I think it looks awesome !
More power, lighter, stronger front clip, narrower, better throttle response, gas tank that wont need "burping".
Pretty much everthing that people has complained at is improved (on paper anyways).

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
Not quite.
All of the sled magazines had access to them in January.
Get ready for a DELUGE of positive articles.

Still a bought and paid for review, no credible snowmobile magazines exist, if you don't understand what I'm saying just pick up most any dirt bike magazine, they give honest and sometimes brutal reviews and the manufactures fix things right away, writers of this magazine are only worried about advertising dollars!

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
So are you saying you never have to adjust/change your primary weights and or spring to obtain the same RPM in all those conditions and elevations, or are you simply saying you don't need Ski-Doo clickers to adjust because you can change your weights the ol' fashioned way?

If you claim the first you must be riding a boosted 4 stroke or are full of it. If not you better keep that sled forever!

When I owned my skidoo summits from 1995 through 2013 I left my clickers on either #1 or #3 all season depending on the model year and tuned the clutch aka ramps, pins, and springs kept my clutches spotless clean every ride changed my springs every 400 miles and never had an issue with rpm fading .... On occasion when the sheaves would get hot ( pulling hills numerous times or heavy wet snow) which can glaze over from the clutch/belt heat i would simply pull over hit the sheaves with my scotch brite pad to knock the glaze off and my rpm were right back where they should be. ... Clickers are a bandaid for guys not willing to tune IMO.

Next winter when everyone has taken delivery of there 2017 Summit the topic of discussion will be Which After Market Clutch Kit Works Best In My 2017 Summit

Learn to tune your clutch and you will never need to rely on your clickers.

DPG

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
It's called marketing by Doo. Doo's first order of business is, well, business. Just trying to sell one more unit. Buyer beware, read the fine print and all that jazz, reasonable people know how the OEMs are in a dogfight every year.

Thanks for the great insights, Dave. Comments and vids from people who actually ride them are always valued. Careful with that truth thing, someone will be asking you to run for public office. That will screw up your winters.

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
To tune your clutch you must know your power must stay the same.. In mountain riding from leaving the parking lot at 1200 feet and riding to 7000 feet is when you must have an adjustable clutch.. For the adjustable power..

This is why the doo has always been the best power to ground transmission

When I owned my skidoo summits from 1995 through 2013 I left my clickers on either #1 or #3 all season depending on the model year and tuned the clutch aka ramps, pins, and springs kept my clutches spotless clean every ride changed my springs every 400 miles and never had an issue with rpm fading .... On occasion when the sheaves would get hot ( pulling hills numerous times or heavy wet snow) which can glaze over from the clutch/belt heat i would simply pull over hit the sheaves with my scotch brite pad to knock the glaze off and my rpm were right back where they should be. ... Clickers are a bandaid for guys not willing to tune IMO.

Next winter when everyone has taken delivery of there 2017 Summit the topic of discussion will be Which After Market Clutch Kit Works Best In My 2017 Summit

Learn to tune your clutch and you will never need to rely on your clickers.

DPG

C
Apr 9, 2014
Well when doo kind of promotes it as 163.9* on their website they are kind of claiming it. Although if you read the small print it says it was done by someone else. Maybe they should have gotten it dynoed by the "third party" befored they released the new rides.
I never saw where doo only claimed 155 from their dyno anywhere. That's misleading the consumer.

I still see a black 165 X in my future though....a freeride blue and green in a X would be better though.

When they built this engine it was built for more torque and responsiveness, not to be a HP monster. Does anybody actually read or listen to anything the BRP engineers say when they go over things? I have been reading all the specs on this sled and listening to them explain why and what they did to the engine. It makes sense to me and i'm no snowmobile guru, just a guy who enjoys the sport.

Also on the 163.9 HP, this has been beat to death a million times find a different argument.

When the 800 etec was first released they advertised 155, after the market had their hands on the sled and a third party dyno'd it, they then changed their advertising number to 163.9*.

Sorry for the rant, tired of this HP number being brought up every 5 posts.:face-icon-small-hap

on another note hopefully this performs as well and as long as they said it should, if it does I will be all on board, and it would change the way we view 2 stroke engines.

Premium Features