• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

850 E_TEC

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
I like almost everything but haven't we all been down the 4 injector road before?

Thank God the TRA was thrown in the trash...

While the SDI motors had some major issues, the staged injection is proven to make more power. the DI injectors for finite control, awesome starting, good economy, the shower injectors in the TB allow for better heat transfer from the fuel. Almost all sport bikes run like this, 2 small injectors in the ports and larger injectors staged up in the airbox. If done properly, which they have the knowledge to do, should make bigger power and provide more reliabilty as the fuel spraying through the crankcase always seems to be good for things.

Curious to see how it holds up!

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
I like how Skidoo hypes how well the new primary clutch holds RPM .... Hmmmm the XM mountain sled still has clickers while the MXZ line up does not .....

LOL skidoo does the the new primary hold rpm or not ? :juggle:

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
Before I forget skidoo has always built strong grunt motors the issue has alway been transferring the PTO efficiently through the drive and driven clutches while maintaining the motors grunt power .

DPG

RMK935VA

Premium Member
Jan 14, 2008
Ugliest sled I have seen in a very long time. Kind of like picking up an ugly fat girl at the bar. Not someone you want your friends or family to meet. Did I say fat? At nearly 450 lbs., the thing is fat. The Axys beats it in a pounds per horsepower comparison. This sled is not a paradigm shift like the Axys was. It is still a band aid approach. I like the T3 but I really expected more from Ski Doo in response to the Axys. Why can't they get a sled down in the low 400 lb. range I'd Polaris can do it. My 163 Axys has a dry weight under 400 lbs. with a Diamond S Titanium muffler on it. It is not impossible or cost prohibitive to get the weight in the low 400s.

lips3469

Premium Member
Dec 24, 2007
I don't see how you can make a lightweight sled without sacrificing durability or charging a s### ton of money for it (carbon fiber) on a already high priced toy

W
Oct 29, 2001
Spokane
Ugliest sled I have seen in a very long time. Kind of like picking up an ugly fat girl at the bar. Not someone you want your friends or family to meet. Did I say fat? At nearly 450 lbs., the thing is fat. The Axys beats it in a pounds per horsepower comparison. This sled is not a paradigm shift like the Axys was. It is still a band aid approach. I like the T3 but I really expected more from Ski Doo in response to the Axys. Why can't they get a sled down in the low 400 lb. range I'd Polaris can do it. My 163 Axys has a dry weight under 400 lbs. with a Diamond S Titanium muffler on it. It is not impossible or cost prohibitive to get the weight in the low 400s.

LOL........wouldn't expect anything less from someone with RMK right there in their screen name. Poo has been in the toilet for over a decade, let's not rest the future of the company on the axys just yet.

RMK935VA

Premium Member
Jan 14, 2008
Well boys, if you would have bought stock in Polaris 10 years ago, you would have made a huge amount of money per share. Not exactly what happens with a company that is in the toilet. As I said above, I like the T3 but making a lighter sled is obviously not impossible. I could live with it being ugly if it wasn't also fat. Ugly is only skin deep. Fat goes all the way through. They could have done better. I appreciate their engineering prowess which is why I don't understand the weight. Everybody knows who will win the Snowest 800 mountain sled of the year and it doesn't start with an S. I will be glad to wager anyone on that. I also don't see the new 850 winning it next year. It just isn't a game changer. And it is as homely as it can be. Ugly is as ugly does.

rmk8000

Lifetime Membership
Jan 22, 2013
saskatchewan canada
I like how Skidoo hypes how well the new primary clutch holds RPM .... Hmmmm the XM mountain sled still has clickers while the MXZ line up does not .....

LOL skidoo does the the new primary hold rpm or not ? :juggle:

Not sure what your point is. The xm has clickers to adjust for altitude. The mxz is a trail sled and likely won't see much variance in altitude so they don't have clickers.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Everybody knows who will win the Snowest 800 mountain sled of the year and it doesn't start with an S. I will be glad to wager anyone on that. I also don't see the new 850 winning it next year..
Ya, don't be too sure on that bet yet.
Looks to me like you have not spoken to any of the people that have taken one of the prototypes out for a ride yet.

You will likely be surprised by how much love this new sled is going to generate.

RMK935VA

Premium Member
Jan 14, 2008
Perhaps but then again it isn't an 800 anymore either. A new class perhaps but I remember the Ski Doo 1000, the Cat 1000 and the Polaris 900. Not exactly very good memories either. All overweight sleds fraught with problems. Maybe that is history nor worth repeating.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Perhaps but then again it isn't an 800 anymore either. A new class perhaps but I remember the Ski Doo 1000, the Cat 1000 and the Polaris 900. Not exactly very good memories either. All overweight sleds fraught with problems. Maybe that is history nor worth repeating.
While its POSSIBLE SW won't allow an 850 to compete, I am pretty much betting it will be in the competition.

Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
British Columbia
Well boys, if you would have bought stock in Polaris 10 years ago, you would have made a huge amount of money per share. Not exactly what happens with a company that is in the toilet. As I said above, I like the T3 but making a lighter sled is obviously not impossible. I could live with it being ugly if it wasn't also fat. Ugly is only skin deep. Fat goes all the way through. They could have done better. I appreciate their engineering prowess which is why I don't understand the weight. Everybody knows who will win the Snowest 800 mountain sled of the year and it doesn't start with an S. I will be glad to wager anyone on that. I also don't see the new 850 winning it next year. It just isn't a game changer. And it is as homely as it can be. Ugly is as ugly does.

Not sure where you are getting the fat and could have done better from. They dropped 25lbs and are 4 inches narrower across the belly plus technology far ahead of any other manufacture. Also the 2017 165 3inch RTR weight is going to be lighter then the 163 3 inch Axys RTR weight.

Premium Features