• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Indy Lite - Reverse Kit Compatibility

Merlin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 7, 2004
Medicine Hat, AB
Hello,

I'm looking a reverse kit that is for sale. Polaris P/N 5630512 (according to seller)

In addition to the chain case & all internal parts, it comes with the cable & lever / handle.

Can anyone confirm if that will fit on a 1996 Indy Lite & if there are any other components required for installation?

Thanks in advance,

Glen

550iq

Oct 7, 2008
Anchorage, Alaska
Some chaincases are taller than others. The chaincase on a 2000 550 is taller than that of a 1994 Super Sport so the 550's chaincase cover can't be used. Maybe it had to do with the P-85 vs P-90 drive systems. Might want to verify compatibility of the chaincase dimensions. 550iq

Merlin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 7, 2004
Medicine Hat, AB
Thanks,

The center to center measurement on the bearing bores would be the quickest way to tell if it wouldn't fit but then there's all of the other variables.

If both machines were apart, side by side, with all of the parts laid out on a bench it'd be no problem.

I might have to get in touch with the dealer with the P/N the seller provided & see if they can confirm fitment...........

Merlin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 7, 2004
Medicine Hat, AB
PERC options???

Well,

I managed to track down a reverse kit with the correct fitment for my machine but when I received it, it was missing pieces & many of the components that were there were not in useable condition. Machine shop repair is an option but the costs would be prohibitive.

So, I'm on the hunt for another kit which got me to thinking.........

PERC is used on the later model 550 fanners, correct? Does anyone know the compatibility of engine parts between the 340 & 550? Could a person install the flywheel & stator from a PERC equipped 550 on a 340?

If that's not an option, a donor sled with a late model 550 engine equipped with PERC might be...........at the right price of course. LOL!

Darn daydreaming gets a guy into trouble every time! :face-icon-small-win

Last edited:
C

cowboy181d

Nov 1, 2008
Burns oregon
Merlin, I might have what you need post a picture of your chain case and I will look in my shed I tore down a couple of indys that had rewind on them a couple of years ago and I think I have most of the rewind kit stuff in a box

Merlin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 7, 2004
Medicine Hat, AB
Merlin, I might have what you need post a picture of your chain case and I will look in my shed I tore down a couple of indys that had rewind on them a couple of years ago and I think I have most of the rewind kit stuff in a box

Thanks,

Center to center measurement on the bearing bores is roughly 6 5/8"(see left picture).

Not sure what chain & gear combos are in your units but I'd like to keep my current 16 / 39 gearing if possible. In order to do that I'd need a kit with either a 16 / 39 gearing combo or at least a kit with a 39 tooth 11W bottom gear. I could then reuse my top gear & chain if needed.

The tricky part is that most kits I see out there have at least a 20 / 21 tooth top sprocket & have 13W(or wider) chain / sprockets(right picture).

I'd like to keep the gearing as low as possible since the 1.75" track is a big load for the 340. LOL!

WP_20141208_001.jpg $_57.jpg

Merlin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 7, 2004
Medicine Hat, AB
I checked that part # on the dealer website and it is not a valid number.

Thanks Dave,

The kit in my first post sold before I could confirm fitment on my machine.

I think I've looked at half a dozen kits since in addition to the one I just returned that was damaged / worn out.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
I believe you will be disappointed if you are expecting to find low gearing and reverse in the same chaincase. That is one reason I have quit looking for one, that and the condition/price of these 20 year old assemblies.

Merlin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 7, 2004
Medicine Hat, AB
I believe you will be disappointed if you are expecting to find low gearing and reverse in the same chaincase. That is one reason I have quit looking for one, that and the condition/price of these 20 year old assemblies.

Yeah, every kit I've come across has had the wider 13 plate chain & gears which makes it impossible to run my 11W, 16 tooth top sprocket.

However I have noticed a few 11W, 39 tooth bottom sprockets for reverse kits for sale on Ebay separately.

Certainly no easy route...........LOL!

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
I'll let you in on a little tip.
Both gears don't have to be the same width.
Other tip.
No gear can be wider than the chain.

Think on that one for a minute.

Merlin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 7, 2004
Medicine Hat, AB
I'll let you in on a little tip.
Both gears don't have to be the same width.
Other tip.
No gear can be wider than the chain.

Think on that one for a minute.

I've read that you can run one narrower gear with a bigger chain - I.E. 11W gear with a 13W chain & 13W gear. I just didn't like the idea of the possibility of the chain walking back and forth on the gear under load.

How well does it actually work & does it matter whether it's the drive or driven gear that's narrower?

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
I have an 11w and 13w with a 13w chain in either my 340 or 440. I can't remember which. I think it is in the Lite as that is the one I worked on last and had run out of gears. My local dealer/mechanic told me they used to do it all the time with no problems.

Merlin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 7, 2004
Medicine Hat, AB
I think what i got is 13w but I will look over the weekend to see.

Thanks,

Like VB mentioned I could use the 13W parts with my 11W top sprocket.

I'd be more than willing to give you the going rate if you've got the complete assy. in good condition.

Just an FYI that the case I'm after is the 6.625"(6 5/8") model(bearing bore center to center measurement). As well as the Wedge style lever / cable assy. shown below.

Thanks again,

Glen

Indy Reverse Lever & Cable.jpg

C

cowboy181d

Nov 1, 2008
Burns oregon
yup think we are on the same page, I know I have one of those pull handles hanging on the edge of my bench, I will look in the am as I have to find (hope to find fingers crossed a fuel pump that the diaphragm is good in to stuff in my old lynx 300 trainer sled) of course I discovered that was bad about 10 minutes ago and need the sled ready to ride by 10:30 in the am :frusty: .

Premium Features