• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

oil filter help please!!!!

UtahEdge

Premium Member
Sep 19, 2003
Syracuse, Utah
I happened to be up by the cat dealer today so I picked a filter to change my oil. The filter they gave me was part number 0812-029 pictured below. Will this work for the 1100t. I asked the guy at parts desk several times if this was the right filter and he assured me that it was. Its taller and a skinnier in circumference but it appears the screw on ok. The one on the left is the one I took off. What do you guys think? I really don't want to drive all the way back up there to return it.

IMG_20131107_191033_160_zps588d77a1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_20131107_191024_120_zpsc6647a0a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
The filter that you bought is for the Wildcat. If it were me I would get the right one. Tell them you need part number (HF138, KN138, 3007-915, 2670-440, or 2670-436) They oughtta be able to hit that.

UtahEdge

Premium Member
Sep 19, 2003
Syracuse, Utah
So I drive all the way back up to the dealer today to exchange the filter. I probably spent more money in gas than just buying one at the Suzuki dealer down the road but that's besides the point. I walked in and very nicely and calmly explained that even though I asked several times if the filter they sold me would fit and they assured me several times that it would they gave me wrong filter. He goes back and grabs the correct filter and says the difference is $2.11. I said, don't worry about giving me back the $2.11 just next time make sure you give me the correct part please. He said, No you owe me $2.11 for the other filter. It was everything I could do to not come unglued. I handed him the money, he handed me the correct filter and I left before I did something stupid. What ever happened to customer service? I would have even been ok with paying the money if he would have at least said sorry for giving me the wrong part.
All well, live and learn I guess.

Bendy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 11, 2009
Spirit River, AB Canada
I hope your filter came off easy!

Mine was frickin siezed on so bad! I didn't have the right size filter wrench but ended up removing it with a strap wrench and a foot of 1/2" extension with a universal! Thanks for lubing the seal upon install Cat!

N

nosajlleb

Feb 19, 2010
Michigan
Yup they employ the hulk up at TRF for oil filter installation! My original filter came off in pieces with the strap wrench on it with several feet of extensions. Noticed the original had an oring gasket so I replaced it with the wix filter with a square cut gasket and no more mind bending torque on removal and it stays just as tight.

Slednoggin23

Lifetime Membership
Nov 21, 2007
Wyoming
Tight is right!

Mine was frickin siezed on so bad! I didn't have the right size filter wrench but ended up removing it with a strap wrench and a foot of 1/2" extension with a universal! Thanks for lubing the seal upon install Cat!

Here's how tight mine was. I had a plastic cup style filter tool that you put a 3\8" extension and ratchet in. My filter was so tight I stripped the extension right out of it. So I go down to O'Reilly's and buy a steel one and tried again. That one broke the spot welded center out of it. I had to weld it back together and was finally able to get it of but not until the body of the filter twisted from the torque applied to it.

Holy crap that's way to tight. Lube or no lube they must be putting them on with 36' pipe wrenches and cheater pipes. I'll be checking my '14 to see how tight it is before I ride it.

Premium Features