• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2014 Clutch Update Letter from Cat

mmsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Preston, Idaho
hubsperformance.com
Cat Care

Cat care should fix it with a good dealer. If they will not find a new one.

Went to my dealer today. He informed me that since my
sled is under Cat Care and not factory warranty, my sled is
not covered for the new clutch. I can purchase it for the $149 option mentioned
in the bulletin. So my question is, why is Cat saying that they will warranty the clutch when so few of the 12's will actually be under warranty? We all got 1 year warranty with one year Cat Care covering the 2nd year. I got the 3rd year when I had the updates done last year. Or is my dealer incorrect?

Jeff C

Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Mahtomedi, MN
They realized that most of the people would fall under the 150 dollar secondary. I think they planned on giving people clutches who bought a holdover this year. Pretty crappy really.
Most of the guys that have been having belt issues bought their sleds in late 2011 or early 2012 and have had Their sleds to the dealer to "find the problem". Which they never did. Now cat finally steps up (after most guys are out of warranty) and blames the secondary and is making most of the guys buy it. Cat should be giving every guy the damn clutch and $700+ dollars of cat credit for all the friggin belts they had to buy not to mention the lost riding time.

Bad deal!

Yep, this is total BS.

The very guys who stepped up and bought the first year sled, are the same ones that have had the most problems, are the same ones who are doing Cat's R&D, and then having to pay for that privilege (The privilege of paying for almost $700 in belts)

Then, they finally figure out what the problem is (18-20 months after customers have been complaining), they cover the guys with 13' sleds.

They found the sweet spot to get out of having to fix their mistakes, and make the customer pay for it.

Also, they try and make you feel special by ONLY having to pay $149 for a clutch you should have not to paid for in the first place.

This was my last Arctic Cat purchase.

FU Cat

R

rmscustom

Jun 8, 2010
Yep, this is total BS.

The very guys who stepped up and bought the first year sled, are the same ones that have had the most problems, are the same ones who are doing Cat's R&D, and then having to pay for that privilege (The privilege of paying for almost $700 in belts)

Then, they finally figure out what the problem is (18-20 months after customers have been complaining), they cover the guys with 13' sleds.

They found the sweet spot to get out of having to fix their mistakes, and make the customer pay for it.

Also, they try and make you feel special by ONLY having to pay $149 for a clutch you should have not to paid for in the first place.

FU Cat

I wonder if cats figured out how many customers they've lost with the turd they dropped in 12... Good luck to the 14 owners cause these fancy heat treated clutches aren't proven yet.

M
Nov 16, 2009
Rumor out our way is : the 2013 guys get clutch for free, the 2012 guys pay $150.00. Not so bad. Should read the Doo and Poo guys complaining about their problems with factory crap. We actually have it pretty good.........For the most part.:argue:
Keep in mind it is only rumor, but from a pretty good source. Time will tell.

D
Sep 29, 2013
Yep, this is total BS.

FU Cat

Well anyone that buys a BRAND new chassis in 2011 should EXPECT it to not be perfect now unfortunately it had belt issues not all either. What about doo having engine issues in the past and now polaris having their engine issues? **** happens and they still have faithful customers because things get worked out to become mad at something that is being refined to become a great product through trial is wrong imo. As for payin 150$ that's cheap as hell for the 12 guys out there could be worse could have to buy it at full retail cost. Sure they had issues and if you reported tat your 12 had issues to cat I believe they stated they would give it you for free. So if you followed the proper procedure your fine. I bought a 13 1100T expecting to spend upwards of 1000$ to help prevent belt issues and im not even worried about it. Warranty is an amazing thing with an amazing dealer they will help you. Sorry you feel this way about cat but they have an unreal sled that you don't get the chance to enjoy.

R

rmscustom

Jun 8, 2010
Yeah, you guys have had it great... I know a 12 owner that had to park his pc last year cause he couldn't afford a belt every ride. 3 primary's, 2 secondary's and some aftermarket fixes didn't make a difference and if he wouldn't have sold it he'd still be waiting for a fix... Yeah you cat guys have got it good:face-icon-small-dis

K

Koby

Nov 26, 2007
Saddle Hills
As a 2012 1100T guy, I gotta say, I'm pretty happy with Arctic Cat and the support I have gotten from my dealer, Northgate Honda. Both have stepped up the plate to insure customer satisfaction on a unit that was a belt eater.

R
Nov 28, 2007
No new parts

Arctic cat ,love the motor trying to get the updated clutch here in B.C and the gearing kit plus new clutch gaurd.Arctic full of it,have to pay for the clutch also even with the third year warranty thats not the real issue,Arctic cat can not deliver on what they say as they never produce enough parts to keep their sleds going.Hundreds of dollars in belts like alot of other folks two secoundarys blew apart othre issues,got it dialed in pretty good but no updated parts ready,time to sell the junk { pull the engine,junk the rest}:crazy:

Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
British Columbia
It is pretty rough having a sled that needs money thrown at it to be reliable but I'm betting with cat and yamaha working together we will see yamaha's higher quality making its way into the Arctic Cat line up. The 2014 yamaha's cat is making has a completely different set-up clutch wise. Cat rushed the 2012's in my opinion due to the 50th anniversary and we are paying for it literally.

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
what about the crank issues that may be ready to surface on many of these cats that had belt issues and the failure at high load...there has to be many lurking out there which is otherwise a fail safe crank...

I sure hope not, but I wonder if we are going to see unusual crank failures in these older proclimb 8oo motors this season

Jeff C

Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Mahtomedi, MN
So if you followed the proper procedure your fine. I bought a 13 1100T expecting to spend upwards of 1000$ to help prevent belt issues and im not even worried about it. Warranty is an amazing thing with an amazing dealer they will help you. Sorry you feel this way about cat but they have an unreal sled that you don't get the chance to enjoy.

Dopey:

THe only "procedure" I have heard of is the dealer telling me to submit receipts for the belts that I have blown, and they will take it to Cat and then see if Cat will do anything about the driven clutch on their dime.

The problem is, I bought those belts out in Cooke City, and West Yellowstone while I was on vacation. I never thought I would need to keep the three receipts. The only receipt I can get is from Country Cat when I bought my last belt in the spring of last year.

I look at this issue like this:

Imagine buying a new 2012 Chevrolet Suburban. You get your shiney new vehicle, and 7,000 miles later your brake pads are all worn out already. You put in another set, and this time you get 7,500 miles on the brakes. YOu start to wonder, "hmm I think there might be something wrong here, these brakes should be lasting me 50,000 miles at a minimum". You put in a third set of brakes (All three so far are on your dime) having driven only 7,500 miles again!!

All of your other cars you have had all your life have had brake systems designed much more robustly.

You take this brake issue to the dealer and start to complain. Dealer says "Yep, we have seen alot of customers in your exact same situation, Chevy knows about this and are working on a fix"

2013 comes along and the new Suburban models are a bit better, but some vehicles are still experiencing brake issues.

"Chevy is working on a fix"

Then Chevrolet comes along with the new 2014's and the brakes work just fine. Heck people are getting 90,000 miles on their brakes.

Chevy finally announces what the problem was. It was a bad schnitzer valve in the master cylinder that was not machined correctly causing the brakes to rub.

Imagine the uproar if Chevrolet came back to those 2012 customers and told them, "Well the retail price of the new schnitzer valve is $800, but you, the hapless dimwit, get the privileged price of only $350"

There would be a huge uproar if Chevy tried to do this. The media would be all over this company for sticking it to people for their own failure to engineer the brake system correctly.

The only difference here is only a VERY small percentage of Americans own snowmobiles, the bad media is not generated, nobody cares!

I dont care if I would have gotten the clutch for $50! It is the fact that Cat rushed this new chassis to the market without testing "production/mass produced models first" They tested alright................. hand built sleds that changed alot from hand built sleds to production models.

By the way, I still have my 1100T and still ride it. When it comes time to upgrade, it will be a different brand.

Does anyone else feel this way?

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
Dopey:

THe only "procedure" I have heard of is the dealer telling me to submit receipts for the belts that I have blown, and they will take it to Cat and then see if Cat will do anything about the driven clutch on their dime.

The problem is, I bought those belts out in Cooke City, and West Yellowstone while I was on vacation. I never thought I would need to keep the three receipts. The only receipt I can get is from Country Cat when I bought my last belt in the spring of last year.

I look at this issue like this:

Imagine buying a new 2012 Chevrolet Suburban. You get your shiney new vehicle, and 7,000 miles later your brake pads are all worn out already. You put in another set, and this time you get 7,500 miles on the brakes. YOu start to wonder, "hmm I think there might be something wrong here, these brakes should be lasting me 50,000 miles at a minimum". You put in a third set of brakes (All three so far are on your dime) having driven only 7,500 miles again!!

All of your other cars you have had all your life have had brake systems designed much more robustly.

You take this brake issue to the dealer and start to complain. Dealer says "Yep, we have seen alot of customers in your exact same situation, Chevy knows about this and are working on a fix"

2013 comes along and the new Suburban models are a bit better, but some vehicles are still experiencing brake issues.

"Chevy is working on a fix"

Then Chevrolet comes along with the new 2014's and the brakes work just fine. Heck people are getting 90,000 miles on their brakes.

Chevy finally announces what the problem was. It was a bad schnitzer valve in the master cylinder that was not machined correctly causing the brakes to rub.

Imagine the uproar if Chevrolet came back to those 2012 customers and told them, "Well the retail price of the new schnitzer valve is $800, but you, the hapless dimwit, get the privileged price of only $350"

There would be a huge uproar if Chevy tried to do this. The media would be all over this company for sticking it to people for their own failure to engineer the brake system correctly.

The only difference here is only a VERY small percentage of Americans own snowmobiles, the bad media is not generated, nobody cares!

I dont care if I would have gotten the clutch for $50! It is the fact that Cat rushed this new chassis to the market without testing "production/mass produced models first" They tested alright................. hand built sleds that changed alot from hand built sleds to production models.

By the way, I still have my 1100T and still ride it. When it comes time to upgrade, it will be a different brand.

Does anyone else feel this way?

I do!!
I got rid of my 1100t and bought a 2011 m8 and turboed it.
I didn't even have a belt blower. Just couldn't stand to put any money into that chassis and drive train.

idacatman2

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ashton, ID
same gearing

As far as I know the gearing on the PROCLIMB M1100T has been the same on all model years, 12,13, and now 14. That is why no gearing update offered for the M1100T.

Greg

L

leadfoot33

Aug 31, 2010
Prince George BC
call cat directly, thats what we did when they tried to deny us warranty then after i got to talk to them i got my belts back for free and service at my dealer to ensure everything was correct.
i dont feel the same way jeff, maybe because my sled wasnt a belt blower and because my dealer has been nothing but outstanding and doesnt sugar coat things. i have been so impressed that i am buying a 2013 from him this year.
also my dealer had mentioned new drivers i think for the 1100t (not on free or not) smaller ones to gear the sled down a bit. discounted prices.

0neoldfart

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Thorsby, Alberta
I believe your dealer has some say...

If you own a 2012, the dealer has a bit of pull if you have a documented belt blower, same if it was a 2013 model. I did not have a belt blower, but only because I spent some money on the drivetrain (which I was ok with, as I added a bunch of horsepower, too.) If your sled is stock and a belt blower, your dealer should go to bat for you. If you added a hi jacker or any performance mods, you've just voided your warranty, and it is within thier right to tell you to pound sand. Cat's ECU is very smart, and it will data log & show the dealer (and Cat) it it has had a piggyback controller on it, as it will record maximum boost & injector duty cycle, among other things...
If you have a stocker that is having issues with a dealer who is no help - call Cat directly, and have a civilized discussion about it - you may get the updates at no cost.

06m7

Lifetime Membership
Feb 5, 2008
Sold my 13 1100t for a summit x163 been a cat guy my whole life but spending 2500$ on belts did it

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
If I had a customer who spend $12,000 in my store and had issues with his purchase right out of the box. And the manufacturer tried to charge him to fix the issue I would scream bloody murder. If at the end Cat wouldn't give him the part for free I would pay out of pocket for it. I would want the customer to know not only would i go to bat for him but I will stand up for a product he bought in my store.

U
Dec 15, 2012
2012 clutch update

Has anyone gotten there new secondaries yet if not any rumors when ? I started out the season with a 2012 M 1100t and ended the season on a xf 1100t I had a lot of belt problems with both they where both stock .

Premium Features