• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Wedge build ideas

B
Jan 27, 2008
Hey looking to start a project and I really want to build a Polaris wedge chassis. Anyone have pics of some old mod sleds from back in the day. Hillclimb, Snowcross or ice drags it doesn't matter. I would love to see them for some inspiration and ideas.
Thanks

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
not much of a mod yet, but built on the cheap:
IMG_1523_zps87dabcfd.jpg

96 ultra, slp pipes/airbox/oil inject delete, skid moved 3/4" back/down on both arms using '01 drop brackets, tracks usa 159 and 136-159 extensions, full length slides from korky's outpost...
it will climb but sure is heavy still. im keepin an eye out for an old lightweight front suspension, too much steel in these...

B
Jan 27, 2008
The weight is what I was concerned about too, also keeping an eye out for a cool vintage alloy or titanium front suspension kit or maybe just an old mod chassis to start things off.

I can't remember, is the bulk head on the wedge steel?

J
Jun 11, 2005
Clearwater BC
My latest wedge project:

This sled & engine has been around the Kelowna area for a lot of years, starting out as a 1983 Indy 600! It now has a lightweight bulkhead and tunnel, with the chaincase dropped so the jackshaft runs through the tunnel. It has a 680ish triple that ran at 9200 rpm on race fuel for a while. It's been mellowed out for semi-retirement in its old age, back to a single pipe on pump gas at 8100 rpm. I resurrected it from a buddy's garage after he got tired of tripping over it and moving it around. I have added a 151x2 Camo challenger, lightweight front susp, with Ti bolts, and most recently, an '08 Dragon seat. Great sled......love the old wedges!!

DSCF3347.jpg

DSCF3353.jpg

DSCF3352.jpg

DSCF3351.jpg

Here is a '96 Ultra I had a few years back. 162x2.1/4 track, triple SLP's, wahl bros. extrovert drivers.....etc. etc.

ultra162.jpg

S

SpencerA

Mar 30, 2010
Portland Oregon
My latest wedge project:

This sled & engine has been around the Kelowna area for a lot of years, starting out as a 1983 Indy 600! It now has a lightweight bulkhead and tunnel, with the chaincase dropped so the jackshaft runs through the tunnel. It has a 680ish triple that ran at 9200 rpm on race fuel for a while. It's been mellowed out for semi-retirement in its old age, back to a single pipe on pump gas at 8100 rpm. I resurrected it from a buddy's garage after he got tired of tripping over it and moving it around. I have added a 151x2 Camo challenger, lightweight front susp, with Ti bolts, and most recently, an '08 Dragon seat. Great sled......love the old wedges!!

DSCF3347.jpg

DSCF3353.jpg

DSCF3352.jpg

DSCF3351.jpg

Here is a '96 Ultra I had a few years back. 162x2.1/4 track, triple SLP's, wahl bros. extrovert drivers.....etc. etc.

ultra162.jpg

Are those stock coolers I see on your wedge? You have overheating issues with that big of track?

S

SpencerA

Mar 30, 2010
Portland Oregon
Why would the big track create an overheating problem? It has coolers in the tunnel too.

FORDpickupman
It looked like in the pic that he didnt move the running board coolers to underneath tunnel. 2inch lug and no scratchers would spell overheat on trail getting to back country.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
^packing snow on top of them under your feet helps for that. also can drill a hole at the back of the ski, and stick a bolt down through it, 99 cent scratchers:face-icon-small-win
im wondering if she was a trencher with the track in that position and so much drop bracket...

Last edited:
S

SpencerA

Mar 30, 2010
Portland Oregon
^packing snow on top of them under your feet helps for that. also can drill a hole at the back of the ski, and stick a bolt down through it, 99 cent scratchers:face-icon-small-win
im wondering if she was a trencher with the track in that position and so much drop bracket...
Or you can just get rid of them all together and get a Doo Cooler for underneath tunnel.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
^yep, would require longer case and suspension drop to fit a decent paddle. skies the limit. nothing wrong with footwell coolers imo.

heres an old one i built up in college
oledog.jpg

i just cut holes through the back of the seat and ran hoses to a yamaha rear cooler under the back of the extension. never overheated again. sure doo coolers would have been cooler, and lighter, but that kinda opens the flood gates imo cuz you'll want a new tunnel and prob a newer suspension along with everything else, and then need to get the front higher as well to make it handle worth a poo.
this one was taken too far here with the setback and rear drop, it basically plowed snow. i stick to simple proven stuff now, but they can be built to the hilt and work no doubt with enough motivation. id prob start with a newer crc bulkhead for the ultimate wedge build...:wine:

2DaMax

Jan 27, 2008
A couple of mine I did last year. CPI 760, twin pipes, boss nos, 162x2 track, risers and egts.

016-2.jpg

006-2.jpg

027_zpsced59374.jpg

001-1.jpg

043-Copy.jpg

Premium Features