• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Speedometer/Odometer

M
Jan 14, 2004
Anybody ever investigate whether it would be feasible to build a small bracket next to the brake rotor, replace one of the rotor bolts with a magnet bolt and mount the factory pickup then re-program your dash to get the speedo working? I have a KTM but I think any bike with a speedo works pretty much the same way.

M5

M
Jan 14, 2004
Thx I missed that one somehow. I was also trying to envision something that went in the chaincase like a Yami speedo bolt and sensor setup

M5

mnsnowhawk

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2007
Dayton, Minnesota
Anybody ever investigate whether it would be feasible to build a small bracket next to the brake rotor, replace one of the rotor bolts with a magnet bolt and mount the factory pickup then re-program your dash to get the speedo working? I have a KTM but I think any bike with a speedo works pretty much the same way.

M5

Give it a try. You can change the wheel size on the ktm. I used a gps app on my phone to dial in the correct wheel size for my supermoto kit.

I've got a vapor mounted on my snow hawk and put the magnet on the brake rotor. It only works to about 35 mph and then goes wacko. Not sure if you would run into the same problem with the timbersled kit. Something gps enabled might be your best option rather than trying to make the factory one work.

tomk

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2008
plus if your worried about track speed, just run the bike on hard pack and remember the speeds per each gear, since it is a bike tranny the gearing is always the same depending on conditions

Jon Mutiger

Lifetime Membership
Oct 20, 2010
Maple Ridge, BC
I had tried to get the stock computer on my KTM to work, but it wasn't able to adjust enough to be accurate. I found a happy medium when the display would show half of my ground speed in MPH. Then mid season my wire broke, and I gave up. A GPS works way easier.

If you have an android phone, download an app called "My Tracks". If you have an I Phone download "Motion X".

I bought an external battery for my phone for this year so it doesn't die mid ride when you need it most.

M
Jan 14, 2004
I run a GPS and have for years, I really could care less about my speed but keeping track of mileage on the bike and engine hours etc might be kinda nice to have. If you can get it to work at half speed then you'd think that if you had 2 or even 4 magnetic bolts instead of one you should be able to get it dead on. I'm just thinking out loud here.
M5

Premium Features