• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Polaris XLT tripple mod sled???

L

lshobie

Oct 22, 2009
Hey guys, I can buy a really clean triple xlt for 500 bucks, I have a 137" 2009 rev xp rear suspension and a 159 new polaris 2" paddle track at home. I was thinking of buying the xlt and putting the suspension and track on it, lighten the crap out of the sled and have a fun beater mod sled. It has reverse and I think weighs in at about 500 pounds.

Would it make a decent mod seld with that rear susp and track, how much weight could I lob off it do you think - or am I just wasting my time? I was even thinking about removing the front suspension and installing skandic pogos to lighten it up, I don't trail ride as I only play up at my camp.

Any examples out there of modded xlt's?
Thoughts???

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
ranchester, wy - nashua, mn
lbs

there is so much weight that can be lost off of that wedge. that stock rear suspension weighs a ton, that wet foam seat weighs 30 lbs, can get over 20 out of the hood, some new skis,
but the 137 suspension you have will need extentions and im not sure what youll find there to go to 159?
youll either need to drop and roll or put smaller drivers on to allow clearance for the paddle. i used a longer chaincase out of an edge rmk for clearance on one of mine
if your going to get into it like that you might want to look into different ways of cooling it so you can cut out your boards

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
ranchester, wy - nashua, mn
xcrlt190.jpg

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
My experience with my XLT was that it was happier when it could spin a lot of R's. I'm not sure putting a 159x2 behind it will let the motor spin without gearing the thing way down. After riding the newer small block twins (600 VES) I like the twins a ton better than the older piston ported triple.

Not trying to rain on your parade, but I would question whether it would get you the results you are after just for the sake of starting by spending $500.

L

lshobie

Oct 22, 2009
Thanks for the posts guys. I will check it out tomorrow, I was thinking that I would have to regear - which could be done by putting in smaller drivers like said above, I'd make the custom rail extensions, and the rev xp suspensions only weighs 52 pounds. Lose the seat, plastic junk, make a carbon fiber hood ( I have the materials), plastic skiis and I think I can get the weight way down on it. I already have the parts so just need to put a weekend in on it.

It is supposed to be mint and low kms, it is my co-workers so lets see what it looks like.. Has reverse too.

Oh, and don't forget - I am going from an elan/tundra to the XLT, it would seem like a rocket ship to me.

L

lshobie

Oct 22, 2009
checked it out and it is pretty mint, starts right up and runs very well. had to buy it at 500 bucks, if I get a few insane rides in on it then it will be worth it. I figure 8 tooth drivers, my 159 track, revxp suspension with extensions, rip a bunch of heavy stuff off it and it should be fun. it was actually lighter than I thought it would be.

IMG_1235.jpg IMG_1236.jpg IMG_1237.jpg

triple power

for $500 you can't get hurt. you'll have alot of fun on the xlt, i bought a '91 rxl 650 triple years ago and had a blast on it, my sled before that one was a yamaha 540 srv. the old wedge sled performed better than the srv and was fun to modify. i had many ultra triples in my day and still have a modded triple that i enjoy riding.

L

lshobie

Oct 22, 2009
I'm shoe horning in some older pipes from an XLT, tight and I have to do some cutting but will work - not using the original hood - making my own mesh hood.

I was thinking of putting the coolers in the tunnel - any recommendations or suggestions? Should I bother?

Also, the pipes are PSi type and I am looking for info on jetting and clutching - any help would be appreciated. I have info collected from old posts but looking for solid newer information.

Thanks!

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
Putting the coolers in the tunnel might be pretty tight. On my XLT I had to take the rub rails out to run the 1.75" track. I think I still smeared rubber down the tunnel after doing that.

L

lshobie

Oct 22, 2009
I'm putting a rev xp slid and 159 track in it - I can adjust the height of the skid so it doesn't touch the cooler. I just took the front and side coolers off, searching for a good cooler now - might go with a skidoo summit tunnel cooler.

I am doing an oil injection delete - will use a small bottle for some oil to cool the PTO bearing - anyone every do this before?

L

lshobie

Oct 22, 2009
I saw that cooler but he won't ship to canada and I can't contact him through ebay. I think that would work just fine though.

L

lshobie

Oct 22, 2009
OK here's where I'm at:

159 installed
rail extensions installed and suspension installed with new mounting points.
8 tooth drivers installed with all new bearings
clutch kits coming in the mail
19t top gear, leaving reverse as I like it
psi pipes going in, just waiting to get it running so I can bring it to my friends house so we can do some cutting - the pipes don't fit well - for an older XLT

carbon fiber airbox being made
jetted up 3 sizes, running boards cut off and fabcraft boards installed
6 inch riser and pivot with pro taper bars
making a carbon fiber hood, ditching all the guages and looking for a tach - will run temp light somewhere not sure where yet
rerouting the pull chord
cut off the running board cooler and front cooler and installed a summit cooler - running summit hoses under the tank as there is a tunnel for hoses embedded in the tank.
oil delete done, used a small coolant bottle so I can keep the PTO bearing oiler line - left the pump on it.

working on the wiring now.

DSCN1518.jpg DSCN1529.jpg DSCN1624.jpg DSCN1627.jpg

L

lshobie

Oct 22, 2009
It's coming along, just wish I had the time to get at it. I also have the tunnel extension bent up and it will go on last.

Premium Features