• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

new cats ? 4 stroke turbo mountain turbo?

what sled intrest you?

• under 500 lb factory 4 stroke turbo in mountain chassis 200 hp.

Votes: 128 30.8%
  • 400 lb new moujntain sled. direct injection 800 ho 175 hp

Votes: 255 61.4%
  • hold over m wait to see how new chassis holds up?

Votes: 24 5.8%
  • turbo hold over .

Votes: 8 1.9%

• Total voters

edgey

Premium Member
Jul 9, 2001
I talked at a cat rep this weekend that got to ride the 12's and they said they are way different than the 11's and they handle and ride great.

I asked about motors and they said the 1000 is gone, the 800 2 stroke was still on the list didn't say if it was the same as this year or different but that it was still on the model list and that there was something bigger than the 800 but it wasn't the 1000 so my guess is that there will be a 4stroke turbo in a m-sled.

I tried everything I could to get more out of them, buy them drinks, threaten to torture, but that is all I could get out of them.

ndC7M8

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 13, 2008
Sand Hills, North Dakota
I talked at a cat rep this weekend that got to ride the 12's and they said they are way different than the 11's and they handle and ride great.

I asked about motors and they said the 1000 is gone, the 800 2 stroke was still on the list didn't say if it was the same as this year or different but that it was still on the model list and that there was something bigger than the 800 but it wasn't the 1000 so my guess is that there will be a 4stroke turbo in a m-sled.

I tried everything I could to get more out of them, buy them drinks, threaten to torture, but that is all I could get out of them.

if you woulda bought them some jack daniel's you woulda covered both bases, and probly got some answers by the end of the night

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I think cat is screwing up by not letting anyone demo these like polaris did. Correct me if I am wrong but I thought they started demos in february of last year. I have a cat and would rather have a pro. If I don't get to try the new cat, before snowchecking, I will order a pro. There have been a lot of people who have jumped to the pro and the only way they are going to get them back is to get the sleds out there for people to try. Maybe, in march, there will be a bunch of demos. Maybe I will be blown away with the new cat. It is going to take a lot for me to not order a pro.

ndC7M8

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 13, 2008
Sand Hills, North Dakota
I dont know about that. If whatever the new sled is just completely blows people away like the pro did, I'm sure they'll have great sales. I went and ordered a pro the day after they came out. my polaris buddies "ho-hummed" about it for a while until towards the end of the snowcheck program before they ordered theirs.....I dont know if this has been said on here or where the guy I heard this from got it, but I HEARD that it was gonna be lighter than the pros by 10 pounds or a little more and the big one was gonna be right in around 170 horse. If the came out with stats like that and a narrowed up, narrow lookin new sled I'll say screw the deal polaris is givin me and go buy a cat again. always was cat and didnt have a problem with cat, just wanted to go a different route. I'd love to own a new M series......we'll see what kinda sick new sheet they're bringin to the mountain this year

E

Evolution Powersports

Nov 23, 2006
Well thats all warm and fuzzy, but fact is the japanese do build better engines and the suzuki 2 strokes arctic cat uses have for the most part always been very reliable and durable. You say cat will be the first american built sled motor?? Where have you been?? polaris started building the domestic twin 700 in 1997. thats 13+ years. Tens of thousands of snapped cranks later and they still havent got it right. But someone has to be the guniea pig so have at it you might as well get 2 or 3. i myself wont buy one after they start making their own engines.

Actually, in the 1997-2004 Polaris 700 motors were bulletproof. They were in house designed. I think they replaced their really good and extremely competent in house engine designer (the guy had a German name) who was responsible for the design of the 700 domestic twin with someone else after that time period. It seems like they have had nothing but trouble ever since.

I have faith that Cat or any American company can build a solid engine. Quality has to be one of their design parameters. Polaris lost their way for most of the 2000's and that is why they went from #1 snowmobile builder to #3.

Suzuki Cat motors have not always been the most reliable. I recall an 85 El Tigre 6000 I had once....new jug or crank every other ride....:face-icon-small-sad

Justified

Premium Member
Feb 21, 2010
why not a 1000 H.O.

why don't they make a 1000 H.O.? People would forget about the M8. I think even with the option of a 4 stroke, the m1000 with a H.O. motor and a better clutching would be sick!!!!!

S

sledneck_03

Jan 3, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
I just found out some terrible news........they have a job opening for a Design Engineer! Im qualified for the most part other than ive used different software but im married and have a business in the city im in! DAMNIT! To be single and not have any ties.....

These are also qualifications you need hahahahah! Like come on, this is my dream job and its close to Saskatchewan to visit the family!

1. Capable of riding a snowmobile in variety of settings.
2. Willingness to travel for development and test trips.

J

jasonrev

Jan 28, 2008
Burns Lake B.C.
Actually, in the 1997-2004 Polaris 700 motors were bulletproof. They were in house designed. I think they replaced their really good and extremely competent in house engine designer (the guy had a German name) who was responsible for the design of the 700 domestic twin with someone else after that time period. It seems like they have had nothing but trouble ever since.

I have faith that Cat or any American company can build a solid engine. Quality has to be one of their design parameters. Polaris lost their way for most of the 2000's and that is why they went from #1 snowmobile builder to #3.

Suzuki Cat motors have not always been the most reliable. I recall an 85 El Tigre 6000 I had once....new jug or crank every other ride....:face-icon-small-sad

Wow I want whatever this guy is smoking. My dad had a 97 700 rmk that did around a half dozen engines in it's first season, the 800 twins were plagued with crank issues. Sorry but some of the polaris domestic engines were runners, however they were anything but bulletproof.

R

RCR3

Nov 14, 2009
Lava Hot Springs, ID
Wow I want whatever this guy is smoking. My dad had a 97 700 rmk that did around a half dozen engines in it's first season, the 800 twins were plagued with crank issues. Sorry but some of the polaris domestic engines were runners, however they were anything but bulletproof.
WELL IT MAYBE THAT ITS POLARIS, AND THAT CAT WILL LEARN FROM POLARISES MISTAKES AND TRY HARDER!:D

E

Evolution Powersports

Nov 23, 2006

Not smoking anything. The 700 twins were bulletproof 98-2004. 800's were always junk - until 2011, hopefully. Polaris showed with the original domestic twins that a US company can make a good engine. They quickly screwed it up.

spoon

Wrenching to ride is half the fun
Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Kootenays, BC
If that is a real pic, how long before cat pulls it? Looks pretty good though. I saved it to my files just in case.

M

MTdream

Nov 28, 2007
If that is a real pic, how long before cat pulls it? Looks pretty good though. I saved it to my files just in case.

Nah, my guess is we will start seeing pics each day till Next Tuesday when they are released...If you want to see them in person...suggest hanging out in Cabin Creek, Taylors Fork and or Buck Creek...Lions Head...Two Tops etc.

The big release with demo rides will be in West Yellowstone...

Thunder101

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
Not smoking anything. The 700 twins were bulletproof 98-2004. 800's were always junk - until 2011, hopefully. Polaris showed with the original domestic twins that a US company can make a good engine. They quickly screwed it up.

Ha ha . funny thing is the head on the 700 the first two years looked like a ski doo head then once apart you find "made in Austria" on the inside of the pistons. skidoo has a plant in Austria.

J

Jester1

Sep 30, 2008
Ottawa, Ontario
The new turbo is not exactly the same as before as the cases have been reworked so that it will lay flat with the head tot he front and the intake down at 10 degrees above horizontal. Teh intake wraps over the top of the head just below the intercooler. This has an extremely low centre of gravity due to the engine configuration and mass centralization. watch the cat video about Carl and you will actually see one in a frame. Very cool for sure.

Jester

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
real easy, just copy the pro rmk exactly with the 800 ac motor...done deal, they would sell the crap out of them.:D

Premium Features