• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Trail Maps

jbmilek

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2008
The state website has their trail maps online for viewing and printing.
Check it out!
http://wyotrails.state.wy.us/Maps/index.asp

Caution: they are fairly big files, so if there is still someone with dailup it might take awhile to download.

Note: The ones for viewing are full map PDF's and the for printing ones are tiled.

jorgy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2007
Iowa
Thanks for the link. I thought they were going to do a downloadable GPS type map? Apparently not or not yet.

jbmilek

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2008
Thanks for the link. I thought they were going to do a downloadable GPS type map? Apparently not or not yet.

The GPX files are still on the plate, and will eventually be on the web. I have no idea on a time frame as of yet.

mbsieg

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Worland, WY
It's state trails runnin the show maybe we will see it in 4-5 years??????? Prob about the time we cannot leave the trail for fear of running over a pinecone............................ Or a endangered mouse...................

J
Jan 20, 2009
Iowa
Google Earth Snowy Range Maps

I have a copy of all the trails for Snowy Range with waypoints marked that are of interest. Currently its in Google Earth Format, which can be converted to Garmin or Magellan if you have Google Earth Plus.

Download Google Earth, check this file out, and let me know if any of you would like it in the Garmin format. It comes in VERY handy when boondocking and you need to find your way back to a trail, not following the way you came, say at about 5pm :)

EDIT
The first file I uploaded didn't display correctly. Please let me know if this one works. Thank you!

Attachments

• Google Earth Snowy Range.zip
    65.3 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:

jorgy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2007
Iowa
I have a copy of all the trails for Snowy Range with waypoints marked that are of interest. Currently its in Google Earth Format, which can be converted to Garmin or Magellan if you have Google Earth Plus.

Download Google Earth, check this file out, and let me know if any of you would like it in the Garmin format. It comes in VERY handy when boondocking and you need to find your way back to a trail, not following the way you came, say at about 5pm :)

EDIT
The first file I uploaded didn't display correctly. Please let me know if this one works. Thank you!

I'd like to get it in the Garmin format if you could do that. BTW, my computer would not open the zip file. It said it was corrupt.

P

Powder1

Mar 1, 2008
Colorado
I also received a corruption error with the .zip file. I would be very interested in the Garmin file.

J
Jan 20, 2009
Iowa
Snowy Range Trail maps

Everyone, PLEASE FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS BELOW. You will NOT be able to open these files unless you perform the following tasks.

1. Download the attachments to your computer. Do NOT attempt to open the files at this point! Just download them.

2. You will be required to rename the files and change the file extension. If you can't view the file extension (example.zip), open up Control Panel, open Folder Options, and uncheck the box "Hide extensions for known file types".

3. Replace the file extension with the 3 capital letters at the end of the filename. Example "SnowyRangeKMZ.zip ----> SnowyRange.KMZ"

4. You can now open the files with the corresponding programs
a. KMZ -- Google Earth
b. GDB -- MapSource (Garmin Database File v3 format)
c. MPS -- MapSource

This is all really a test at this point, so if anyone tries this with success, please reply.

MODERATORS
--It would be very benificial if we were allowed to upload .KMZ .GDB and .MPS type files in their native formats, none of the above steps would be required. Simply zipping the files does not work as they are already compressed, compressing a compressed file is always a bad thing.

Attachments

• SnowyRangeKMZ.zip
    67.4 KB · Views: 66
  • SnowyRangeTrailsGDB.zip
    22.5 KB · Views: 53
  • SnowyRangeTrailsMPS.zip
    32.9 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

tmk50

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2001
Brighton, Colorado
Resurecting this thread -

Does anyone have a .jpg trail map for the Snowy's WITHOUT all of the text boxes covering portions of the map up? (beetle kill messages, logging messages, watch your fuel messages, etc)

I took the current map off of the state's website, converted the pdf into a jpg and did an overlay in Google Earth. I managed to get it to line up fairly close, but it would be great to get a map like the ones Colorado has that only have the trails drawn. I sent an email to the State Trails address and they said they did not have a version they could send me.

Any other ideas as to where I can get this?

jorgy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2007
Iowa
I messed with the same thing for the Togwotee area. The only that I was able to do to help a little is to crop the image. In Paint you can select a 'free form area'. Then you can crop out alot of the text boxes. I know that isn't exactly what you're looking for, but it cleans it up a little.

Premium Features