• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

'08 XP High Mileage? Boondocking?

AaronBND

Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2005
Cascade Mnts, OR.
Hey guys, I've owned everything under the sun except a XP and was thinking about buying one local here. It would be an '08 with 2500 miles ridden by a 67 year old man basically on trails. Two questions..........#1 is how many miles will this thing go before it will need the top-end refreshed, and #2 are these sleds good for boondocking? I live in the Cascade mountains, ride 5-8K and am 80% boondocking. Just came off of an IQ chassis and it did great in the woods, but I really want something a little newer and I like the weight of these things and the 16" wide track. Give me your unbiased honest opinion. Thanks guys!

Aaron

R
Nov 27, 2007
Cantaffordus, WA
www.mbhc.net
Given that you used to ride a RX1 (tRXster here), you'll find it great in the trees. The only thing about the XP is that the steering takes a little getting used to and requires a bit more muscle due to the fact that the bars are bent so far forward. You have to turn in more of a sweep pattern than you will probably be used to. As far as the top end goes, it would probably be due for a rebuild after 2500 miles but you might get another 1000. The troubles the 800r had was mostly in the cranks.

I have seen some XP's claiming to weigh under 380lbs which would be a lot of fun.

Good luck.

Rt

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
With the susp and bars setup correctly the XP is a boondockers dream. There are some things to know about susp setup and bar position that make it an entirely different sled than it is when you pick it from most dealers. :beer;
I have seen alot of '08 and '09's with over 4,000 trouble free mountain miles so I wouldn't worry, especially if it's been taken care of and the price is right.

AaronBND

Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2005
Cascade Mnts, OR.
Todd and Winter.............long time no see! Since the RX1 I have had an M7 (UB900 motor) and a Polaris RMK 900. I really like the IQ chassis, but I love the the idea on trying one of these. This thing is in pristine condition other than it has 2500 miles. He said it was normal to ride 70 miles + a day out of his cabin. I'd be paying $5800 for it. Is that a good price? Thanks guys and good to see you. I never come in this forum, but maybe it will be the new home?

Aaron

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Todd and Winter.............long time no see! Since the RX1 I have had an M7 (UB900 motor) and a Polaris RMK 900. I really like the IQ chassis, but I love the the idea on trying one of these. This thing is in pristine condition other than it has 2500 miles. He said it was normal to ride 70 miles + a day out of his cabin. I'd be paying $5800 for it. Is that a good price? Thanks guys and good to see you. I never come in this forum, but maybe it will be the new home?

Aaron

Sounds like a very fair price.

S

SilverGriz

Oct 22, 2004
Hayden, ID
My 08 has 2100 miles on it and runs perfect. Great sled to boondock! $5800 is a good buy. I paid $10,200 for my X model 163" when I snowchecked it.

T
May 25, 2008
Oroville Washington
If he rides 70+ miles a day, is 67 years old, and it has 2500 miles on the sled I think that it would be absolutely rock solid for another season or two!

I put 3500+ miles of brutal boondock riding on my 08 the first season. It never had any issues at all with the topend. That was with an aftermarket head, can and my clutching setup that worked the motor extremely hard!! I rode it 4 times a week and burned close to a tank every ride. Man that was a fun year!! I was extremely hard on it, used it to learn with (skidoo motor mods ect) and it has always taken it just fine.

Now, that same motor is getting a fresh topend just because I had it torn down to look at things and thought it would be a good plan because of the turbo setup. The bottom end is all original and I will be hitting it with boost levels from 7-20 psi this season and it looks to be just great!!

$5800 sounds like a good deal for the sled. I would buy it and ride the tar out of it! The XP chassis is the greatest thing in the trees you have ever ridden once you learn to ride it!!

JMO

Jake

R
Nov 27, 2007
Cantaffordus, WA
www.mbhc.net
Ha ha....I'm on a rev but it has 16" wide and I can sidehill all day long. Here is a pix of a nice little line I made over the top of some stuck Poo's;)

With the XP, Brew can correct me if I'm wrong but I think letting out the center shock and turning up the pre-load takes a lot of pressure off the skis and will help her lay over easier. Darn things are so light you don't have to worry too much about getting on top of the snow.

This is on the side of railroad grade on Baker which is very steep....not many sleds will sidehill accrossed, turn down hill on the steep, and sidehill back the other way. I love the 16" beast!

Picture005.jpg

Just a nice pix

Picture009.jpg

S
Dec 3, 2007
Cle Elum, Wa
Winter,

how much does your clutch kit cost? I just bought a 09 summit 163 and i cant wait for it to snow. I am coming off a 03 summit 144, the ZX chasis. I cant wait not to be plowing snow anymore.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Winter,

how much does your clutch kit cost? I just bought a 09 summit 163 and i cant wait for it to snow. I am coming off a 03 summit 144, the ZX chasis. I cant wait not to be plowing snow anymore.

Summitchaser....$340. Ramps, primary spring, heavier pin weights and our helix. I would go 20T top gear also. Gears are $40. Will have everything at Puyallup show. :beer;

Premium Features