• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Pic for later...

Dunatic

MODERATOR: Paid Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Jan 24, 2003
Plain City, Utah
I want you guys to remember this picture later on in the season, this is whats going to be on the bottom of our snowpack, this was taken at camp steiner by mt baldy, the top 8 inches is the freash snow, there is a 1/2 in of ice, and the bottom 8 inches was sugar. I am no avalanche expert but this looks like a recipe for some big avalanches later in the season sliding all the way to the ground.

120507_8350.jpg

K

Kevco

Sep 21, 2001
Sandy Ut.
And here I thought it would be a shiney pretty sled, instead your just trying to save lives what a homo;)

R

Rock Star

Mar 29, 2008
Park City, Utah
1. thanks Duner. UGH!
2. shrink this picture.
3. This ice/sugar bottom will haunt us ALL season now. Another wierd start to the snow pack.
4. Ron, GP asked where I was up here. I'm on the other end of highway 150.... just 5 miles up from Kamas. You must just be past the far gate. hey neighbor!

mountaincat 800

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2001
Utah
Sledhead where do you ride most the time? Just curious me n my buds stay in Uinta lands quite often. We ride up mill city creek alot. You ever ride with a big group?

sledhead ut

Lifetime Membership
We like to ride the Humpy Peak, Moffit and Gold Hill area. Going to do a lot of exploring this year in the Elizebeth Ridge and Blacks Fork area. We did a lot of Dirt Biking up there this year to get more familiar with that area. As far as large groups go, not very often. We (wife and I) like to go out and ride and I mean ride. Don't get me wrong, we would love to go and show off the area we like to ride, no matter how big the group. Just hate it when people show up late and stop and gossip instead of ride.
So if you want to hook up when we get some snow, let me know for sure.

BTW: you going to the New Years Eve Fire????? I love that night. Last year the guys with the frozen Keg were a riot.

mountaincat 800

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2001
Utah
Yep, plan on being at the bonfire this year. It was freakin cold last year. Yea I checked out a few of your familar pics up in the black fork area in the fall. Great pics. I know what you mean about the group thing. Sometimes more of a pain. I ride with a guy that knows the area like the back of his hand. Good times might have to hook up.

S

snengineer

Nov 26, 2007
South Jordan, Utah
I want you guys to remember this picture later on in the season, this is whats going to be on the bottom of our snowpack, this was taken at camp steiner by mt baldy, the top 8 inches is the freash snow, there is a 1/2 in of ice, and the bottom 8 inches was sugar. I am no avalanche expert but this looks like a recipe for some big avalanches later in the season sliding all the way to the ground.

120507_8350.jpg

This layer may have bonded well with the following snow since its been rather warm...bottom line is this layer probrably will be out to haunt us it just might not be until May when we've all forgotten about it and the entire snopack begins to get heavy and saturated, heads up.

S
Nov 26, 2007
Heber City, Utah
1. thanks Duner. UGH!
2. shrink this picture.
3. This ice/sugar bottom will haunt us ALL season now. Another wierd start to the snow pack.
4. Ron, GP asked where I was up here. I'm on the other end of highway 150.... just 5 miles up from Kamas. You must just be past the far gate. hey neighbor!
Are you part of the Beaver Creek Nudest Colony?

mtnpull

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Heber City, Utah
www.uintarecreation.com
Good post. You actually have two problems there. First the ice then the depth hoar. A heavy slab could give on the ice first then break into the weak depth hoar below. Is this the snowpack on the flats, or on a slope? If on a slope, what direction is the slope facing? These details can change from south slope to north facing etc. Good info.

R

Rock Star

Mar 29, 2008
Park City, Utah
Are you part of the Beaver Creek Nudest Colony?

NO. Butt they are friends. Actually he passed away. Mosquitoe bites!
It is just a sign at mile 3.5 that was erected to get people to slow the heck down! Mostly city folk summer campers in a hurry to get up canyon and relax. lol.

I do live on Beaver creek. Pretty ironic. ;) :p

S
Nov 26, 2007
Heber City, Utah
NO. Butt they are friends. Actually he passed away. Mosquitoe bites!
It is just a sign at mile 3.5 that was erected to get people to slow the heck down! Mostly city folk summer campers in a hurry to get up canyon and relax. lol.

I do live on Beaver creek. Pretty ironic. ;) :p
Damm....I was looking to join.

I have seen that sign for years, always wondered what the deal was.

At least there have not been anymore shootings at the Beaver Creek Inn.

Premium Features