• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

‘18+ Snow Flaps

B
Nov 11, 2009
Canada
‘18+ Snow Flaps

What are guys running for snow flaps after adding an aftermarket rear bumper? Most aftermarket bumpers don’t support the back of the flap like the stock bumper does. I have one ride on my alpha and the factory flap is cracked and almost ripped out of the rivets on the tunnel already because of this.

Would prefer to avoid skinz as I’ve had a terrible experience with them in the past. What are the other options?

Last edited:

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
What happens if run without a flap?
Deep snow performance will be improved, that i can promise.
My 09 made it 3,000 miles without a flap. No downside to me or the sled, just people behind me on the trail... lol

B
Aug 18, 2013
Canada
Did you ever have trouble keeping it cool on the trail? My 09 m8 is a PITA to keep cool at the best of times even with the flap on. Maybe I have an issue or something but she likes to creep 140°F unless conditions are mint

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
09 Temp light came on two times in 4,000 miles. I had a gas can on top of the heat exchange both times and it was after 4 miles of up hill ice road riding. Most of the time i didn't even use scratchers on the trail. Just drag a foot here and there.

My 14 cat, whole nuther story.. can't even go down hill on a trail without scratchers down.

18 cat seemed almost as good as the 09.
I shortened the flap but never removed it.

ultrasks700

Premium Member
Jul 7, 2009
MAINE
I went all of last season without a snoflap and didnt miss it one bit. Zero overheating problems(the HX is in the front so it doesnt matter if its there or not). IF you did really want ot have one Hubs performance offers rebadged polaris Pro one that alot of guys like

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Wonder if anyone has tried the ski-doo removable flap? That would be ideal.
Use it when u need to ride some trail, take it off when the snow is plentiful.

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Yeah I haven't ran a flap in years. First thing that comes off my new sled. Only have overheat issues in real hard pack snow where the scratchers aren't kicking enough up. Happens maybe a couple times per year. Flaps just get too much in the way when you're stuck and digging out.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
I like the PDP ones. Simple and the fact that they're smooth means they collect less buildup than the stock ones. And they don't auger into the snow because they actually flex. Also, why any sled company still makes horizontal bumpers is just stupid. Skidoo figured it out and finally raised the handles. Like tethers and powdercoated tunnels, there are some things that should be universal on mountain sleds. With a raised bumper it doesn't matter if your flap folds out when you get stuck.

Running without a flap seems crazy to me given how hot these sleds get (and quickly) with 3" tracks. Riding up in Pemberton last year in the mornings on icy groomers was a constant effort to keep cooling the sled down. Sometimes there's just not fresh snow at staging areas.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Flapless For sure. The cat track hooks and throws so much snow back into the tunnel it has to be the best stock sled for not overheating on the trail with no flap. Obviously on real icy days it is still a bit of an issue, but not enough to justify a flap.

The OEM flap is crazy stiff, dang near a wheelie bar.

F_ast

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2008
Ontario
I run a rogue rear bumper on mine

I used a ratched strap band and bolted it on with a stud washer.

SledGuru

Lifetime Membership
May 9, 2008
WY 307
I know u preferred not skinz but I love the short flap on my 18. I ordered off Ebay and never had any issues. Minor trimming was required

Hoss

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
I ran the removable flap on my 18 Doo last year. Stopped packing it around after half the season because I NEVER put it on. Really noticed a difference in better performance too. Had to reset my “sensors” on when I though I was going to be stuck. Late in the year on ice I did regret not packing it on the tunnel and over heated on that trail ride to the goods so I just put it on the back of the sled and kept it on for the last few rides.
For what’s its worth.....
You guys got me thinking I don’t need no stinking snowflap on my Alpha this year.

J
Jan 17, 2010
emmett,idaho
Itek industries in canada offers a bumper that has a bracket that rivets to the stock location on the stock flap. Also had bad luck with pdp unless u get their super long flap. I doesnt attach to the bumper and hangs down into the track on bumps

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
Did you ever have trouble keeping it cool on the trail? My 09 m8 is a PITA to keep cool at the best of times even with the flap on. Maybe I have an issue or something but she likes to creep 140°F unless conditions are mint

I have no flap on my 09 M8 Turbo. No overheating issues...not even close. I have scratchers. I don't miss the flap.

One thing about the 09 is that the flap can get sucked into the track and block the rear cooler...this will cause overheating. Come to think about it, the only time I've seen overheating on that model year is when the flap gets sucked up into the tunnel and blocks the cooler.

Premium Features