• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Turbo Replacement pistons??

B

boondocker155

Sep 5, 2013
So I have a 2013 pro with a boondocker turbo. It's the tial with an intercooler. I want to get rid of the sloppy stock pistons for something more reliable. What are you guys running with your turbos? Mine is set up perfect now so I don't want something that is going to make me have to re tune or tinker with sled at all. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J

jeepin270

Aug 27, 2009
Maine
If he went with rkt drop in kit wouldn't that change his tune? Jus going with his or bikeman's oem replacements would be what you r asking for.

B

boondocker155

Sep 5, 2013
What about the MTN TEK fix kit? Would that be a good way to go for me?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D

doudea

Sep 20, 2009
Western Slope
I put the RKT drop-in kit in my 11 turbo this year. I have been very pleased with the kit. From my understanding he is changing the port timining with the hight of the replacemant pistons. The sled is noticably snapper on the bottom end. I have not noticed any change on the top end as far as power, but the turbo is so strong to begin with its hard to tell. I went with the 13:1 domes. The kit didnt change my tunning at all.

V

Vi-PEC Powersports

Aug 17, 2011
CANADA
Nothing wrong with polaris pistons at all, they will last as long as the others if you have a solid tune ( no detonation at all i.e: loose plugs!! ).

Vi-pec Powersports

Merlin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 7, 2004
Medicine Hat, AB
Nothing wrong with polaris pistons at all, they will last as long as the others if you have a solid tune ( no detonation at all i.e: loose plugs!! ).

Vi-pec Powersports

While OEM pistons may or may not be a problem for the 800 CFI, to my knowledge there is no amount of tuning that can compensate for the damaging effects of piston to cylinder wall clearance that is in excess of .009"...........

V

Vi-PEC Powersports

Aug 17, 2011
CANADA
I agree with you polaris should use a better material for less expension for their pistons and have less cylinder wall clearance but it is not a major problem in the current configuration. The major problem with a turbo sled is the goating,sputtering tunes melting pistons, scratching cylinders, amd chipping pistons....this is what cause in my opinion 90% of the failures.

Vi-pec Powersports

T

theshadowrider

Jan 27, 2010
IMO stock pistons are way to loose, and they are cast. A forged piston will hold up to DET better if you accidentally hit DET. Lighter, stronger, fits, revs faster. Why not get away from the stock?

mtncat1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 19, 2008
south jordan ut.

Vi-pec Powersports

I disagree the stock pistons in these motors are complete junk. piston life is not the problem. it's the cylinder skirts these crappie pistons break. just got done doing a new top end due to a broken skirt for boondocker155. engine only lived for 65 hrs. and 1000 miles . Polaris still has a serious issue with these motors that no amount of oil or 28 dollar fix kits will solve. they all need pistons from day one guys.

W

whitfork

Dec 1, 2008
I just lost a piston on one of the forged piston kits (not naming company) on my 11 turbo. I didn't have the cylinders reworked just put the piston kit in with a 2000 mile motor with a hone so it cannot be blamed on the kit if I didn't have the cylinder checked over to be in spec...
It ran great til it stuck a piston on pto cylinder with about 300 miles on kit. Ran great and was not running lean or hot egt (<1250-1300) at anytime.
This time around I am going back to a cast piston but one that is in spec for a new cylinder.
So I ordered Indy Specialties reworked cylinder with matched pistons this time around since the skirts would probably be a issue with the stock cylinders... Time will tell if this works good.

Last edited:
B

Boyko

Nov 27, 2007
Alberta
I disagree the stock pistons in these motors are complete junk. piston life is not the problem. it's the cylinder skirts these crappie pistons break. just got done doing a new top end due to a broken skirt for boondocker155. engine only lived for 65 hrs. and 1000 miles . Polaris still has a serious issue with these motors that no amount of oil or 28 dollar fix kits will solve. they all need pistons from day one guys.

Polaris does not want to make a bunch of smoke for the EPA so they run the oil pump set up past 55:1 and have to leave lots of clearance for the piston which bangs around in there and eventually busts skirts off of everything.

I have talked to a few good 2-smoke engine builders over the years and there are some valid reasons to run cast pistons as oem does. There are reasons to run forged in a harsh environment, like n0s, 25psi boost and deto

My preference is cast pistons in a 2 smoker

Last edited:
W
Nov 8, 2018
Mountian tek

Is it the same kit for the 2013 m8 as the Polaris
Mountian fix drop in?
I'm looking to do the top end in my 2013 m8 with turbo.

Premium Features