• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Alpha One 154 weight

Cat00

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ok, somebody is confused here and maybe its me, but here's how I see it. Ever other window is clipped. The raised portion in center of clip does not support any weight. It's there as a guide, between the two rails, to keep the track from coming off.
There's a rail on each side of the "raised" center part of the "clip"! Where do you guys get that only the left side is clipped? That clip supports both rails, they run that close together!
There's one "mono" rail with two hifax underneath. Both ride on those clips. One on each side of the raised center. Please explain to me how only the left side is going to wear out?
Either I'm confused on what your trying to say or some of you guys haven't seen one in real life.

I think their saying with it clipped every other window the clips will always be on the same side that the track lugs are because the lugs are staggered too

edgey

Premium Member
Jul 9, 2001
Anchorage Yamaha Polaris in Alaska weighed a 154 Alpha today. Full of fuel, oil and I believe factory tool kit, just as you would get it from the dealer. They physically checked and made sure all sleds were full of fuel and oil and filled them if needed. They posted a video on Facebook, weighed a bunch of sleds. I was there and saw it hanging. The scale is a 5k digital scale accurate to within 1 lb.

Edited. I removed the weights from the post. The video will be posted on their FB page in the morning on 11-2.

Not on there FB page yet

Kingkittycat

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2017
Fairchild, Wisconsin
I think their saying with it clipped every other window the clips will always be on the same side that the track lugs are because the lugs are staggered too

Gotcha. I thought I must be missing something. I'm guessing they found it not to be a problem during testing. If problems arise in future, they'll just have to clip every window. Thanks.

richardderkevorkian

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2010
Soldotna AK
Anchorage Yamaha Polaris in Alaska weighed a 154 Alpha today. Full of fuel, oil and I believe factory tool kit, just as you would get it from the dealer. They physically checked and made sure all sleds were full of fuel and oil and filled them if needed. They posted a video on Facebook, weighed a bunch of sleds. I was there and saw it hanging. The scale is a 5k digital scale accurate to within 1 lb.

Edited. I removed the weights from the post. The video will be posted on their FB page in the morning on 11-2.

540lbs rtr was Anchorage Yamaha's weight

I weighed my 2019 hardore rtr is 562

R
Dec 12, 2007
Orting, WA
I just figured I'd post the numbers from over on the Axys thread.

643 lbs - Yamaha sidewinder 155" with turbo
551 lbs - Summit 850 ST 154" track with shot
542 lbs - Arctic Cat alpha 154"
519 lbs - 800 Pro RMK 155" 3" track with chaincase
518 lbs - Assault 800 155" 2.6" track
513 lbs - 800 AXYS 163" 2.6" with belt drive
510 lbs - 850 Axys 155" 2.6" with belt drive. Also spare plugs, tool kit, manual
506 lbs - 600 RMK 155" track

HP TO WEIGHT
2019 Polaris 850 RMK = 3.00lbs per HP
2019 Arctic Cat Alpha = 3.39 lbs per HP
2019 Skidoo Summit SP = 3.29 lbs per HP
2018 Yamaha Sidewinder = 3.15 lbs per HP

1Mike900

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Bellevue, Wa
Looks like some one did their homework! But efficiency to the track is all that counts! Who wins? We will see on the hill I guess? But it will never be on the same angle, conditions etc.......

john6719

Premium Member
Dec 25, 2014
Who wins? The guy that goes out in the morning, rides his heart out, and comes back out of the mountains at the end of the day.

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
Looks like some one did their homework! But efficiency to the track is all that counts! Who wins? We will see on the hill I guess? But it will never be on the same angle, conditions etc.......

We ALL WIN! Except Yammi, they will have a hard time selling sleds, again...

If I didn't have a 300 mile '17 MC in the garage I would be spending money on the Alpha... Next year for sure. Now the Cat has the same narrow body and boards as the Poo and is within 10-15b lbs when both have a lightweight can fitted. The monorail suspension should be the Cats a$$! Can't wait to try one out.

Doo needs more than an extra 50cc in the motor to compete. The skid is a joke from the '80's and it is the widest and heaviest not to mention serious belt issues that may or may not be fixed this year.

Poo is on a new motor... They rarely get a new motor right and my experience with getting a Poo fixed under warranty is abysmal at best. I hope they work this time but I wouldn't bet MY money on it.

edgey

Premium Member
Jul 9, 2001
We ALL WIN! Except Yammi, they will have a hard time selling sleds, again...

If I didn't have a 300 mile '17 MC in the garage I would be spending money on the Alpha... Next year for sure. Now the Cat has the same narrow body and boards as the Poo and is within 10-15b lbs when both have a lightweight can fitted. The monorail suspension should be the Cats a$$! Can't wait to try one out.

Doo needs more than an extra 50cc in the motor to compete. The skid is a joke from the '80's and it is the widest and heaviest not to mention serious belt issues that may or may not be fixed this year.

Poo is on a new motor... They rarely get a new motor right and my experience with getting a Poo fixed under warranty is abysmal at best. I hope they work this time but I wouldn't bet MY money on it.

How do you figure the 10-15lbs difference when they both have a can. diamond s can saves 17.5 lbs on cat and 16lbs on on a poo?

U have no idea how the alpha will work just like the poo motor. Cat is down 15hp and 30# it is what it is, this will make cat get better everyone wins when manufacturers push each other.

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
How do you figure the 10-15lbs difference when they both have a can. diamond s can saves 17.5 lbs on cat and 16lbs on on a poo?

U have no idea how the alpha will work just like the poo motor. Cat is down 15hp and 30# it is what it is, this will make cat get better everyone wins when manufacturers push each other.

I guess it depends on whose can you choose. When I looked this morning it looked like you could get 7-8lbs more loss with an aftermarket Cat can than an aftermarket poo can.

It isn't 30 lbs when you compare 3" tracks... Then the fact that nobody has been able to make a better track than the power claw... I want to see the 850 Poo 2.6 against an Alpha in deep powder. Having owned a couple Pros and an Axys before my Mtn Cat, I know where I will continue to spend my money.

When was the last time Poo introduced a new 800 cc plus motor that wasn't a disaster the first year or two? Uhhhh NEVER! Good Luck with that.

edgey

Premium Member
Jul 9, 2001
I
When was the last time Poo introduced a new 800 cc plus motor that wasn't a disaster the first year or two? Uhhhh NEVER! Good Luck with that.

I have owned 6 axys 800 for my family over 10,000 miles between them not one issue.

Cat has some catching up to do by the numbers on the hill we will see

W

whittaker727

Nov 26, 2007
Naples, Id
I agree that we all win with the OEM's pushing each other. I'm beyond interested to see where my Alpha ends up being on the scale after a full build so that I know where I sit for power to weight. Doesn't really matter at this point since I've bought it, torn it apart, rebuilt it and now wait for snow. It's what I have and unless the rail fails, or the motor goes, I'll enjoy each day on the snow to the best of my ability with the given conditions. I'll rib my buddies with Doo's and Poo's, I'll probably end up pining for a new 850 Poo, but I'm on the hill and that's what matters.
I only wish I could take a scale to the hill so that I could weigh them side by side in the snow with snow in the skids. That would be a cool test.

dansvan

Premium Member
Apr 14, 2011
Go to the AK Snowshredders facebook page and you can watch a video of them
Weighing all the 2019 154 sleds and a Timbersled bike. 540ish for the alpha.

Same video is on the Anchorage Yamaha and Polaris Facebook page. They weigh a Sidwindet, Alpha, Summit, multiple Polaris, and the Timbersled in one continuous clip.

Last edited:

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Honestly,
The poo 800 is fine for most.
It's the people that ride them hard that don't get many miles out of them.

If the Poo engine has been great and durable for u, then it should last u several thousand miles.

If it hasn't, then u ride harder than most and should probably ride a cat...

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
what ever happened to track dynos?
and the poo needs to be weighed with some snow thrown between its rails and inside its dragon era spindles :face-icon-small-ton:face-icon-small-ton
haha! they're all nice sleds. even the 80s suspension doo. go look at one at a dealer and you kinda forget about the bandaids for a sec, just a different creature really.

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
I have owned 6 axys 800 for my family over 10,000 miles between them not one issue.

Cat has some catching up to do by the numbers on the hill we will see

To each his own. My '14 Pro was to 3 dealers for over a dozen visits to try and get it to run right. My Axys, which Polaris paid $2000 towards after my Pro experience, blew its motor at 1100 miles, ruined its primary clutch at 700 miles, broke its power valve cable and was generally falling apart. It couldn't catch my Cat because it never ran...

High Country

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2008
Canada
Be careful trusting feed mill scales. Ones I've used weight in increments of 10lbs and one other one I use is 20lbs. You get a reading of 533lbs, then you'll know its pound for pound. Cats big promotion for this sled is the "real riding weight".... What it actually weighs while riding with snow clinging to things. That's an area where its supposed to make a difference.

yes that's what I said in post #5.....agreed...however I did up a light weight M8000 in 2016/2017 and took it to the same feed mill scale then did a follow weighing off of my tractor loader and was within 1 pound.
so that is the plan for this weekend is to weigh the Alpha off of the tractor loader on a different scale and compare, I will post my results

High Country

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2008
Canada
I was finally able to get my Alpha 154 on an additional scale (non feed store)
pleasantly surprised..... 6 pounds difference from feed store

520.5 ready to ride full all fluids, Diamond S Ti can, muffpot, goggle bag, small tunnel bag, billet pull handle, billet brake lever.

524.0 ready to ride full all fluids, Diamond S Ti can, muffpot, goggle bag, small tunnel bag, billet pull handle, billet brake lever, spare belt, air pump, tool kit.(placed on seat for verification)

524.9 ready to ride full all fluids, Diamond S Ti can, muffpot, goggle bag, small tunnel bag, billet pull handle, billet brake lever, spare belt, air pump, tool kit. yeti cup with a little whiskey in it ....lol

donuts for days !!!

thumbnail_IMG_5805.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_5815.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_5814.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_5818.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_5817.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_5820.jpg

Last edited:
Premium Features