• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

850 ride report....few issues!!

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Well I have rode my sled 3 days now, first day was 25 mile road ride just to feel her out some. Then off to revy in 2-3ft of fresh dry pow....first day riding it pretty hard and man its not hard to get used to...came off a 174T3 and this sled is an animal. Near the end of the day I blew a belt hard though...not to happy about that as in the last 3 years and 6800kms I haven't had any belt issues at all...and my riding place and style hasn't changed at all. Then my check engine light also came on...gotta see what the code is there...it would go away for 20 min with every re start but eventually came back ever time. Day two I put a good broke in 391 one on and rode a touch less aggressive and cooled down a lot more and opened the side panel lots....no issues yesterday...but tons of belt dust...like a lot! So Im a touch worried here skidoo...anyone else have anything else to add? lets keep this thread alive with ride ability updates....

Check your motor mounts, latest word from Revy is motors are moving a lot under load and belt gets loose. Maybe a limit stop is required.

I
Dec 14, 2001
Archer, Idaho
Belt ??

Finally got her G4 out yesterday.

• Clutch alignment checked good.
  • wiped & cleaned clutches.
  • trail ride break-in. first 5 miles feather throttle to only 7000 rpm.
  • stop, open panels, cool down motor & belt.
  • 2nd 5 miles, feather to 7500 rpm
  • 3rd 5 miles, feather throttle to 8000' rpm.
  • removed that stoopd inner felt.
  • Then WOT in 2' feet of fresh the rest of the day.
Checked when we loaded up, belt is perfect, and ZERO belt dust.

Imagine that.

Thistledoo

Lifetime Membership
Have 12 days now on the sled. Over the holidays had a couple deep days. Like waist deep snow and on the second day I strung number 4 belt. Clutches are still melting hot after a 15 min pow smash event. The 2014 163X following me just keeps on going with no belt problems. I ride the sled hard but it gives up before I do which on my 174X it was the other way around. The belts are blowing up all over western Alberta and all BC. If your not blowing them up good for u. But a lot of guys are and I want a sled I can ride like I did my T3. To the bar all day.

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
It is not an alignment issue I don't think, mine checked out perfectly according to the dealer.

That is of coarse assuming that their #s are not off like 08-12.

Would be nice if Doo would get there clutches to run cool from the factory for once....

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
Here are some shots from my FLIR temp guns from a few rides ago.
8eb27bc6bcfc34e4ea7a03714d79fc3b.bmp
9593aecf268f26f13724a2d3b686fb10.bmp
f19cdf3fb87311701f19e0187d5afaa9.bmp
7148a5f8c785eb6befc3bbb257850677.bmp

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
You need to know the accuracy your IR gun has at a given distance and how large of an area the sensing cone is covering. I would think with most IR guns you need to have only the clutch face in view to get an accurate clutch temp reading and have it only an inch or two away from the belt to get a temperature on it. Emissivity on a clutch would be closer to 0.5 and a belt might be closer to 0.9.

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
The emissivity may off by some, but the point is these things are HOT, I can burn my hand if not careful when checking them. Also turning snow into steam instantly also says way HOT.

When I moved in with the temp gun the temps just got hotter, but you could not tell what I was pointing it at. Hence the distance of the pics, you can tell I am pointing at the Pdrive.

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
The emissivity may off by some, but the point is these things are HOT, I can burn my hand if not careful when checking them. Also turning snow into steam instantly also says way HOT.

When I moved in with the temp gun the temps just got hotter, but you could not tell what I was pointing it at. Hence the distance of the pics, you can tell I am pointing at the Pdrive.

Its not as hot as the temp says, having a cavity radiator and using the wrong emissivity will give a reading way hotter than actual temp. Most people cant stand 60 deg C with there hands. No doubt the clutches are warm but this is nothing new in the doo dept, we know what the problems are and how to fix them.

I can put a piece of aluminum on the ground at 25deg c on a nice sunny day and shoot the temp with a imager, the temp will read approx -40.

The biggest issue with hand held temp guns, and thermal imagers are reflections and emissivity, if the user does not know how to work with both, than there will be lots of false positives.

Premium Features