• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Water To Air Intercooler Kit by EVO

E

Evolution Powersports

Nov 23, 2006
This is another product that has been in development for over a year.

Because of the power that our kits are producing and the varying conditions that these sleds are used in, we decided that a liquid to air intercooler would be the ultimate for intake temperature stabilization. We looked at many options for this kit. The obvious choice was to make a liquid to air with a dedicated cooling loop. With a tank, pump, and additional fluid, it was going to add over 20lbs to the sled. This was a non starter for us.

Rather than use a dedicated loop, we looked at using the engine coolant coming off the rear heat exchanger. We put a temperature probe and flow meter in this return line and discovered it is always the same temperature - 120 Deg F and the flow is adequate for the demands of a liquid to air cooler. Since it is typical to get a 30 Deg F rise in intake temperature above the water temperature which meant a 150 Deg F intake temperature. This is exactly what we measured. Unlike the air to air which would start out with a 60 Deg F intake temp (with our intercooler fan) and spike to well over 200 Deg F in a long climb, the water to air would start at 120 Deg F and stabilize at 150 Deg F.

As we further developed this kit, we decided to add a heat exchanger to further cool the engine coolant before it entered the intercooler. By doing this, we were able to reduce the pre cooler water temperature by another 15-20 Deg F. This allows the intake temperatures to stabilize around 135 degrees which is about 100 Deg F cooler than with an air to air on a long pull.

We also enlarged the outlet of the intercooler to 58mm and supply a larger silicone upper charge tube for additional flow.

We are extremely pleased with the performance of this cooler. The whole kit weighs about 4lbs more than stock, but if running our intercooler fan, you will eliminate the fan which will save 3 lbs.

The kit fits 100% under hood (except for the heat exchanger), uses all factory intercooler support brackets, requires no fabrication and installs in less than 3 hours.

The kit consists of:

• Water to Air Intercooler
  • Custom fire sleeved silicone water hoses
  • Bulkhead Mounted Heat Exchanger
  • 2.25" Upper Charge Tube

You must wrap your exhaust downpipe and turbo or run our exhaust blankets.

Kit price is $1349 and will be available by 11/1.

ProductionwithIChose_zps23b7d0ec.jpg

20130924_135423_zps7e28f342.jpg

20130924_135412_zpsb94f95d3.jpg

20130924_135327_zpsddb472a5.jpg

Last edited:
T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
I really enjoy the simpleness of the kit and the fact that Evolution kept the weight down to a minimum on this kit. I think this is something to bring the 1100T's that are turned up to the next level.

charlie99

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SL

What kind of performance gains are there with the water to air setup, can you run lower boost pressure to acheive the same power levels that you are currently tuned for or more power at the same boost levels.

0neoldfart

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Thorsby, Alberta
I need to go back to work...

Looks good Jim - another quality piece as usual. Now I have to go back to work to make some $$$ to send Gene (again) lol. Maybe Arctic Cat should just fire all of their engineering staff and subcontract design work to Evolution Powersports - would save me a bunch of $$$ in freight alone.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Why are there 3 water fittings on the intercooler? What does the valve looking thingy do on the one closest to the engine?

Premium Features