• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What turbo for a 08 D700 155

P
Nov 28, 2007
Glenville, Minnesota
Just wondering what turbo I should run with this Sled I heard that boon docker has a new pump gas set up available I want the extra power but I want to ride it at home also 1200ft so what are my options thanks Ryan

phatty

Premium Member
Nov 21, 2007
Salt Lake City
www.boondockers.ca
Just wondering what turbo I should run with this Sled I heard that boon docker has a new pump gas set up available I want the extra power but I want to ride it at home also 1200ft so what are my options thanks Ryan

what type of riding do you want to do with it? I loved my sps racing turbo kit. aero 53 at 11-12#s boost. sled was a blast to ride!

I

Icehole

Nov 26, 2007
Jackson, WY
What Turbo?

Hey Powerstroke -- I should have my Pump Gas Turbo (700 Dragon) on the snow this weekend. I had BD do the install, I'll pick it up Friday, testing all weekend. I'll keep you posted.

I

Icehole

Nov 26, 2007
Jackson, WY
OK, I've got three rides on my BD Pump gas turbo (07 700 Dragon). I've made changes every ride - for the better each time. In a nut shell, it's good, not great, but good. I rode at 10,000 plus today. Soft, sticky snow (4" new) and things were good. I took it up some nasty stuff, through tree's, off and on the throttle, turbo lag is not bad - I can live with it. And with some more work --- it will get better. Today I ran between 5 and 7 lbs. Working my way up each ride.

Now, here's my issues: The $4300 kit cost me $6K. If you have an 07 - plan on running new style pistons, $$kaching$$. You will need some type of EGT's if you don't have them $$kaching$$. The clutch upgrade is required and I found out it really was not part of original quoted price, $$kaching$$. I had BD do the install, including pistons, labor $$kaching$$. $400 in tax $$kaching$$. Don't buy a turbo if your looking for "cheap horse power". As for their set-up, the BD Box seems to be dialed in real close from them. I've taken several plug readings and you can not ask for a better read. As for their clutching - I think they have a good starting point, but if you know how to clutch, you will be changing some things in the primary. Oh yea, I vented the turbo side by adding aftermarket vents (not part of the $6K install price). And yes, it needs it.

More rides to come - I'll keep you guys posted.

E
Nov 26, 2007
Covington, WA
OK, I've got three rides on my BD Pump gas turbo (07 700 Dragon). I've made changes every ride - for the better each time. In a nut shell, it's good, not great, but good. I rode at 10,000 plus today. Soft, sticky snow (4" new) and things were good. I took it up some nasty stuff, through tree's, off and on the throttle, turbo lag is not bad - I can live with it. And with some more work --- it will get better. Today I ran between 5 and 7 lbs. Working my way up each ride.

Now, here's my issues: The $4300 kit cost me $6K. If you have an 07 - plan on running new style pistons, $$kaching$$. You will need some type of EGT's if you don't have them $$kaching$$. The clutch upgrade is required and I found out it really was not part of original quoted price, $$kaching$$. I had BD do the install, including pistons, labor $$kaching$$. $400 in tax $$kaching$$. Don't buy a turbo if your looking for "cheap horse power". As for their set-up, the BD Box seems to be dialed in real close from them. I've taken several plug readings and you can not ask for a better read. As for their clutching - I think they have a good starting point, but if you know how to clutch, you will be changing some things in the primary. Oh yea, I vented the turbo side by adding aftermarket vents (not part of the $6K install price). And yes, it needs it.

Thanks very much, keep us posted,

R
Mar 21, 2008
Clutching and Heat

Ericbigbore sounds like you are getting everything figures out. Building a turbo is like building a new home. You will alway go over the quoted price. Allow for at least 1 or 2 thousand in extras and upgrades.

Clutching is definantly something to spend time on. On my 07 D600 I put on 60 gram weights and went to a heavier sping. Also put the helix on the 50 setting instead of the 48. A turbo works better under a load. So if you are running it at 8200 to 8300 rpms, add more weight and keep it at 7950 to 8150 rpms. That is where I found it to produce the optimal HP at 11 to 12 lbs of boost.

Also vent the crap out of the hood. Turbo's build a lot of heat and that is when you run in to problems.

Be patient and have fun. They will blow your mind when you get them dialed in.

S

SNOW JW

Nov 26, 2007
Belgrade MT
www.coderedperformance.com
Howly crap 6k for it installed??? Install must not be cheap from them I'm sure it was a perfect install though. EGT's are not to bad $350 and that is retail good thing Montana has no tax. So far I have only done some 09 and 08 kits so no piston upgrades yet. Vents are needed even for the stockers in my book.

I

Icehole

Nov 26, 2007
Jackson, WY
Yep, $6K. The install price was not the driver (I think only $300), all the little goodies plus the new pistons and install because mine was a 07 (not 08). That alone was $600 ($170 per piston/ring plus $300 labor to install). Tax: This was my fault - Here's how you get around it. I should have had them UPS all tha parts to me and then they don't have to charge tax (out of State sales don't require sales tax) then I could have delivered it back when I dropped off sled for them to do install. That cost me $400. Like RMK600Turbo said, plan on spending some extra cash.

As for blowing my mind? Well, maybe I should have gone with the full on race gas version for the mind blowing experiance. But what I have is good.

S

speeddemon

Feb 27, 2006
buckley wa

yep with all my upgrades each season on the TM7 i have over 15000$ into my turbo kit 25000$ with the sled ouch LOL not cheap but was fun !!!
mike:D

A

AkHockey10

Feb 9, 2006
Anchorage, Ak
Heres a question for ya'll!

first off, not into turbos that much.

When people say "11lbs of boost" how do you do the math to get the HP numbers?? How do you know what the HP will be??

if that made any sense..lol. :D

thanks!

S

speeddemon

Feb 27, 2006
buckley wa
Heres a question for ya'll!

first off, not into turbos that much.

When people say "11lbs of boost" how do you do the math to get the HP numbers?? How do you know what the HP will be??

if that made any sense..lol. :D

thanks!

8-10 HP pre PSI!!!!!!!!!! 11 psi = 80 -110 hp on top of ur 140 hp u already have !!!
i ran up to 18 psi last season = lots of ba!!s LOL:eek:
mike:D

Premium Features